Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Are carving knives bugged?  (Read 12240 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Are carving knives bugged?
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2012, 11:31:25 pm »

For me it's as simple as a winding corridor with dwarves stationed around the corner, staggered so the weaker squads are toward the back.
Limulunnos needs a larger militia, as we have sixteen able dwarves in the militia, seventeen total (the seventeenth being a glazer/axedwarf injured very early on who got bugged and is stuck in an endless cycle of being diagnosed, so he's being starved out of the hospital).

In Boldropes i had an entrance something like this:
  _____
 |  _   |
 |  | | |
 |  | | |__________
 |  | |___________

with the strongest squads stationed around the first corner.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2012, 01:11:18 am »

For me numbers is everything. Sure every siege maybe half a dozen die, but by the end of the year it's more good gear for everyone, and I just find some poor peasant to replace the gaps :P

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2012, 02:02:39 am »

For me numbers is everything. Sure every siege maybe half a dozen die, but by the end of the year it's more good gear for everyone, and I just find some poor peasant to replace the gaps :P

And you WILL eventually have some elites.

I like your method. Its a great thing to do with all the idle cheesemakers. And a hundred angry dwarves is EPIC. Ya know what, I think I'll do that next fort. Might need to use iron or bronze  instead of steel for the pawns, though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2012, 02:55:11 am »

That doesn't work too well against FBs and clowns, though. You want elite fighters with all masterwork candy gear.

This is on my map where there's no metal - at 51 soldiers, and it's quite funny actually, after every ambush and siege I usually see a squad or too of wrestlers begin looting everything ;P

And this works amazingly well against FB's and Titans. Clowns if armoured. These aren't conscripts - they're poorly equipped super soldiers :P
Nothing but red cloaks, their clothes and looted weapons...

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2012, 04:55:16 am »

That doesn't work too well against FBs and clowns, though. You want elite fighters with all masterwork candy gear.

This is on my map where there's no metal - at 51 soldiers, and it's quite funny actually, after every ambush and siege I usually see a squad or too of wrestlers begin looting everything ;P

And this works amazingly well against FB's and Titans. Clowns if armoured. These aren't conscripts - they're poorly equipped super soldiers :P
Nothing but red cloaks, their clothes and looted weapons...

You don't even give them each all masterwork steel armor and legendary platinum warhammers?!

Conversation has been struck down

In all seriousness, I am completely and utterly surprised to hear that dorf-rushing ever works (this is from past experiences against a bronze-feathered cave swallow. RIP 151 dwarves). I can see why giving them no weapons would help train them faster... but really... no armor?

I recommend making leather boots and gloves, if you lack metal, because the enemy will only come with breastplates and helms. And once you have extra helms and breastplates, by all means melt them down into mail shirts and whatnot. Goblinite alone can fuel a metal industry. And you'll need SOMETHING (legendary weaponsmiths) to do with what comes with the clowns.

Since you seem to have identified this military strategy, and effectively used it, what would you like to name it?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2012, 05:08:40 am »

It shall henceforth be known as The Dwarfling rush >:D

Seriously it's horrifically effective. If you can outnumber the goblins 6 to 1 it doesn't matter if you lose 5 of them, you just need that one to bite its head off :p

And no leather armour. LEATHER ARMOUR IS FOR WIMPS!!!!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2012, 09:41:22 am »

You would spare all of those animals? ELF!

I'd rather be a wimp who kills animals to make elves cry than an elf who keeps animals alive.

I prefer to apply magma, or to send out REALLY annoyed kobolds armed with naught but pathetic sticks to poke the enemy with. Sticks were modded in by me, and they are worse than even bare hands. At least those can actually knock somethings head off. :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2012, 09:43:48 am »

You would spare all of those animals? ELF!

I'd rather be a wimp who kills animals to make elves cry than an elf who keeps animals alive.

I prefer to apply magma, or to send out REALLY annoyed kobolds armed with naught but pathetic sticks to poke the enemy with. Sticks were modded in by me, and they are worse than even bare hands. At least those can actually knock somethings head off. :P

I don't need any fancy hacks, I just use my tasty vanilla game :D

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2012, 09:50:27 am »

Fancy hacks? This is Kobold Camp , with only the stick mod added. :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2012, 09:53:53 am »

Fancy hacks? This is Kobold Camp , with only the stick mod added. :P

This isn't DF D:<<<<

THIS IS MADNESS
(and pointy sticks)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2012, 09:57:03 am »

Still, kobolds somehow-MUST STOP DERAILING.

Anyway, my vanilla mode assault team is
7 proficient or above miners, all armed with steel picks. 3 marksdwarves armed with bismuth bronze crossbows.
or
10 hammerdwarves, silver hammers.

I'd use steel for armor, but that's not going to make elves cry. Leather makes them cry. :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2012, 09:59:36 am »

One of my Dwarfling's recently looted a silver dagger off a Kobold thief (poor thing trapped in my barracks >:D), despite being made of silver, the low contact area is laughingly awesome.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 04:12:58 am »

The whips are monofilament wire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomolecular_wire

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2012, 08:43:32 am »

But not as physics breaking light sabres.
Your typical DF whip:

P.S. Now I want to make a dual-whip wielding character :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2012, 05:15:54 pm »

Funny coming from you Deon, seeing as how you made the best balancing mod out there for dwarf fortress...

anyway, i actually found that with some micro its possible to get your dwarfs to wear leather armor, a chain mail shirt, and a breastplate.
now this is in genesis so i don't know if its possible in vanilla, or if Deon messed with that at all.

but yeah this settup combined with pretty much the maximum layers of armor on every body part that is allowed, makes whips ineffective!
i am guessing the percent chance of it hitting stacks up heavily w/ each armor layer, and when it does hit its always hitting a decent armor piece, even the leather made by my legendary leather worker.
(coincidentally, i have alot of unused leather items.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5