Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Aquifers: Friend or Foe?  (Read 3588 times)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifers: Friend or Foe?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 10:42:17 am »

I've once moded them into every level-forming stone. Was quite challenging though very repetitive.
They provide more water and less fps impact than rivers or lakes.
If you can't get it from a wiki, just dig channels, pump water from them and build walls down there. Eventually, you'll find right way.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 12:30:58 pm »

Friend, once you've dealt with them a few times piercing them without drowning your population isn't really a problem anymore, so you have a source of water, power, drowning-trap fuel, mist, etc. all safely underground away from goblin bowmen and such.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 12:48:25 pm »

I hate them. I really do.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 01:28:43 pm »

Honestly, I have a hard time seeing why not just turn off aquifiers, find an embark with a river (super easy), and go to town.   Unless you really, really want a LOT of waterfalls and dont want to build pumps.. 

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 01:59:37 pm »

I love partial aquifer embarks.

The first time I pierced 4 level aquifer with only 1 level of dry dirt above it, challenging but not much fun.
Piercing multi level aquifer using nothing but ice in freezing biome, very *fun* but and challenge was no deaths.
Piercing multi level aquifer using magma from a volcano it was fun, but no challenge.

Since then, breaking through is just tedious.

Partial aquifer embarks give the benefits without the drawbacks.
When available.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 04:38:52 pm »

Friend if you're on Sol of Loud Whisper's Cookbook challenge.
Foe if you're on a sky pillar.

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 04:42:54 pm »

I need some help regarding the cave-in method, I'm not sure I did it correctly on an aquifer.

What I did was channel into an aquifer by a 3x3 channel, then directly above it dropped a 3x3 layer of cave onto the aquifer.  I never really felt like I was doing it right though, I did kill a miner dwarf though.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 04:54:00 pm »

Avoid them altogether.
I can't be arsed with them, especially if they spew infinite water per tile, I feel like I'm restricted and it's just in the way.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 05:32:45 pm »

does smoothing the stone stop them from making more water? if so you could build a fortress inside a aquifer. just for the dwarfiness of it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 07:13:32 pm »

Aquifer water source ftw.

Aquifer fortress flooding ftw.

No stone?

DERP DERP DERP

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 07:42:52 pm »

Does anyone have an OCD- friendly breaching method? I get the feeling it'd be a fairly messy affair, and that would bother me.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 08:00:14 pm »

This link taught me how to use aquifers.
(Page 2 first post with pictures)

Now I demand aquifers at my embarks.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 08:24:19 pm »

Last time I messed with aquifers, I used two pumps and about 8 wooden logs (to make temporary walls), and slowly worked my way down a 4x4 block.  I believe I had to make walls for at least the first level (it was a two level aquifer) as it was soil, not porous stone, but with a bit of thought, a ramp to get in, and patience/micromanagement of cancel spam and it was relatively easily done (if time consuming to me, not the game).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 08:37:16 pm »

One thing I've always wanted to do is to use an aquifer as an infinite source of water to make a giant, multi-Z level tower filled just with water.

...Presumably, You would then Seal Your Fort off, and use a Sacrifice to Pop it open like a Cork, and see how much You screw up the World?

I imagine the FPS drop would be massive. Still, it has the makings of a good story... the goblins rule the entire world, except for a bunch of dwarves in a 100 Z-level high, 16 embark-square clay jar of water.

I've always wanted to make a giant clay tower that is a maze on every level from 0 to 99. Giant project.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 09:19:46 pm »

Avoided them initially.  Have done partial aquifer embarks since and like them.  Secure water source, can be used for power and also for mist cleaners for entry tunnels.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart
Pages: 1 [2] 3