Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Devlog Quote: Raining Blood and Dandruff Snow  (Read 5456 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Devlog Quote: Raining Blood and Dandruff Snow
« on: January 03, 2012, 11:50:32 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
A few miscellaneous interface checks, and then back to the regional material emissions... and I still didn't manage to polish it off. Some changes are needed. For instance, I initially thought it would be enough to make the regions that rain blood draw from the civilized races, but then we ended up with regions that rain rodent man blood, which isn't as good as raining human or dwarven blood. Of course, you might prefer raining "blood", but we don't have generic blood anymore and I don't think it's proper to add it now that we've got real alternatives, though perhaps a slurry of some kind would be appropriate later. It didn't even work out right with the rodent man blood -- the indexing was screwed up, and we ended up with "a dusting of rodent man skin"... dandruff snow. Less Slayer and more Breakfast Club than we wanted, but at least I sorted that part out.

There is nothing I can imagine to say right now.

Discuss.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Devlog Quote: Raining Blood and Dandruff Snow
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 11:52:51 pm »

Use for milk BESIDES cheese? Are there bowls yet?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 11:58:43 pm »

A few miscellaneous interface checks, and then back to the regional material emissions... and I still didn't manage to polish it off. Some changes are needed. For instance, I initially thought it would be enough to make the regions that rain blood draw from the civilized races, but then we ended up with regions that rain rodent man blood, which isn't as good as raining human or dwarven blood. Of course, you might prefer raining "blood", but we don't have generic blood anymore and I don't think it's proper to add it now that we've got real alternatives, though perhaps a slurry of some kind would be appropriate later. It didn't even work out right with the rodent man blood -- the indexing was screwed up, and we ended up with "a dusting of rodent man skin"... dandruff snow. Less Slayer and more Breakfast Club than we wanted, but at least I sorted that part out.

Discuss.
Well, dandruff snow isn't that far off from having it rain frogs and such. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 12:00:03 am »

Something went dwarfy if snow made out of flayed skin wasn't hardcore enough.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 12:02:21 am »

Blood Resevoir: Coming to a fort near you

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 12:08:21 am »

Discuss.

How about, "Eeeeewwwww, that is just wrong!"
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 12:12:23 am »

Looking forward to homemade barrels of blood.  No more importing the stuff!

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 12:15:42 am »

Oh crap theres blood everywhere. It's been raining in this terrifying rain forest for months and my fortress is completely flooded with blood. Wait, is that dragon blood? OH GOD MY DWARVES ARE DROWNING AND BURNING AT THE SAME TIME

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 12:18:16 am »

The average dwarf will suffer drowning injuries shortly before burning in magma.  Cause of death will be bleeding (ie, fire) but they will also begin to drown if they have no skills.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 12:20:26 am »

Blood rain? Moats of blood for my enemies to drown in? FUCK YES SIGN ME UP!
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 12:37:34 am »

Rivers or seas of blood? Civilizations that drink blood? Fish that swim in bloody water? :D
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 03:07:11 am »

I think we will first have to figure out if this stuff even forms 1/7 units of blood, or if it will behave like blood does these days. Luckily it is easy to experiment.

Hopefully no a bug will cause it to rain FB poisonous blood.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 03:42:51 am »

I think we will first have to figure out if this stuff even forms 1/7 units of blood, or if it will behave like blood does these days. Luckily it is easy to experiment.

Hopefully no a bug will cause it to rain FB poisonous blood.

and this would be a bad thing how?
also, with a little rawing or by luck, the possiilites for weaponising bloodrain are endless
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 06:06:27 am »

I forecast eventual rains of FB blood with that blisters/boils/melts dwarf skin clean off the bone

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 06:09:54 am »

Dwarf Fortress is now twice as metal. AoD approves.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4