Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engraving on constructed floors/walls  (Read 2734 times)

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Engraving on constructed floors/walls
« on: January 03, 2012, 10:15:02 pm »

Is there any way to make it possible to engrave on these? I don't really like how you can't as I accidentally mined into a cavern while making a room.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
Re: Engraving on constructed floors/walls
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 10:18:42 pm »

nope, but you can carve fortification in constructed walls

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 11:18:35 pm »

nope, but you can carve fortification in constructed walls

There's no raw file I can change so I can engrave on constructed walls?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 11:22:07 pm »

No, sry, that is hardcoded.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 11:31:36 pm »

There's a bug i noticed that'll probably get fixed soon, so make use of it now. I've only seen it done on floors (constructed and the tops of walls should count) so far, so further !!SCIENCE!! is needed. The floors were wooden, too :P.

>Embark on an area that's temperate but still cold enough that water freezes every now and then
>Designate frozen water to be smoothed or engraved, but make sure that no-one actually smooths them yet (or if you DO smooth them because you want to engrave them, don't actually engrave them yet.
>Wait for water to thaw, then construct floors over the water.
>Enable engraving labor for Dwarf/Dwarves.
>Floors should get smoothed/engraved.

I only encountered it once, and it was sometime last year, so don't take these steps as gospel.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 11:34:00 pm »

ToadyOne, doesnt see that could really work with with constructed walls. Its not a code issue, but a realism issue.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 12:10:45 am »

ToadyOne, doesnt see that could really work with with constructed walls. Its not a code issue, but a realism issue.
I beg to differ.  The artisans that worked for the Egyptian pharohs would build large walls of sandstone, then one artist would draw pictures on it, an group of lower skilled members would then carve out the drawings, and then they (or another set) would paint said carved images to achieve the full effect.  Just take a look at the image results of Googling "egyptian carvings" to see for yourself.

This also, by the way, is a decent justification for being able to reassemble an engraving after you tear down a wall and then use that "block" to build a new wall at another location (just check some of the Egyptian stone walls on display in museums in both London and Paris).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 12:40:25 am »

I beg to differ.  The artisans that worked for the Egyptian pharohs would build large walls of sandstone, then one artist would draw pictures on it, an group of lower skilled members would then carve out the drawings, and then they (or another set) would paint said carved images to achieve the full effect.  Just take a look at the image results of Googling "egyptian carvings" to see for yourself.

This also, by the way, is a decent justification for being able to reassemble an engraving after you tear down a wall and then use that "block" to build a new wall at another location (just check some of the Egyptian stone walls on display in museums in both London and Paris).

That's a good idea actually... could we get rooms of specific engravings using this method? :D
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 12:47:01 am »

That's a good idea actually... could we get rooms of specific engravings using this method? :D
If it worked, and you kept careful track (most likely through micromanaging what was not forbidden), it should be possible.  Will it work in 0.31.25?  No clue.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 03:30:56 am »

you could have it so that you can make engraved blocks, and then make walls with them so the wall has the same engraving as the blocks
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 08:44:50 am »

See: Statues.  A perfect way to have generic "block" but also be able to pick specific blocks.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 02:21:25 pm »

you could have it so that you can make engraved blocks, and then make walls with them so the wall has the same engraving as the blocks

There is a technical issue with this, last time I looked at the data structures...

Constructed walls link to information identifying their details as a construction.
Engraved natural walls link to information identifying their details as an engraving.
That 'link' can only be one or the other, based on tile type.

They were hacks (along with pools of liquids implemented as pseudo-veins, and most other OCD detail *coolness* features), to get something accomplished for insatiable users.
Hacks always have long term complications.

It could be implemented, and maybe Toady has already in DF2012, but it requires more work than you expect.
Hacks trade 1 hour saved now to 4 spent later.
But, often, users' immediate demands necessitate the trade.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 07:38:58 pm »

Toady has mentioned possible plans to eventually make you able to engrave a form of slab-decoration that can then be mounted on a constructed wall or floor to cover it with an image.  This'll probably be a long time in coming, but he's aware that it's a reasonable idea.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 07:44:12 pm »

Well, it'd be tricky to hack it in, but if Toady borrowed the "this allows engraving" part of natural walls, and put that into constructed walls, then it'd work.  They'd probably totally lose their engravings on deconstruction that way, but it'd technically work.  A more sustainable solution would be to allow block engraving while it's loose, probably done at a craftsdwarf shop, taking loose blocks and engraving them with an image.  For that matter, could probably allow encrusting and decorations in there as well, and get platinum block walls guilded with gold and engraved with masterful images of cheese.

I suspect that when/if this is added, it will be the same time that you can order specific engravings, as Toady has promised is planned.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 10:54:16 am »

... if Toady borrowed the "this allows engraving" part of natural walls, and put that into constructed walls, ...

Again, all that information is essentially stored via the same pointer, using the tile type to determine what it's pointing to.
He could add all kinds of information, and give the ability for anything to link to anything (and probably will eventually), but there's more work than just a simple copy-and-paste.

There's a lot to be gained by refactoring tile types.  Not just new features, but speed increases, fixes for many strange bugs, better stability, etc, would all be side effects of the effort.
But Toady always prefers (and his cult always demands) work be spent on hacking new features than refactoring.
I don't blame him.  I'm rare in enjoying it.