Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Surprising findings in arena mode.  (Read 2624 times)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Surprising findings in arena mode.
« on: January 03, 2012, 04:15:51 pm »

First and formost, bears are not as powerful as one would think. A dwarven weasler can smack a few down, and a filthy elf can take a few unarmored and underskilled.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Surprising findings in arena mode.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 04:21:47 pm »

I FOUND THEIR WEAKNESS! THEY CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT THEIR HEADS!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 06:26:35 pm »

and a filthy elf can take a few unarmored and underskilled.

Aren't Elves [AT_PEACE_WITH_NATURE] or whatever? Or can you have them be enemies with animals in Arena? You sure the bears are actually fighting back in that case?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 06:46:44 pm »

Pretty sure anything you spawn in arena is hostile to everything unless you specificly say so.
I'm sure there was a way to spawn allied entities, but I have no idea how it was done again.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 07:05:09 pm »

Pretty sure anything you spawn in arena is hostile to everything unless you specificly say so.
I'm sure there was a way to spawn allied entities, but I have no idea how it was done again.

(s-d)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 04:29:08 pm »

I found that 10 penguins Vs 1 Ironwood Colossi goes in the penguins favor 9 times out of 10...

now i just have to figure out why i bothered modding in Ironwood Colossi... same stats as bronze ones, just with Ironwood from Genesis

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 10:03:08 pm »

I found that 10 penguins Vs 1 Ironwood Colossi goes in the penguins favor 9 times out of 10...

now i just have to figure out why i bothered modding in Ironwood Colossi... same stats as bronze ones, just with Ironwood from Genesis
I wonder if a cluster of chickens can take down saurians (dinosaurs) just as easily?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 07:14:40 pm »

I wonder if a cluster of chickens can take down saurians (dinosaurs) just as easily?
In my experience with adventure mode combat, groups have a massive advantage over individuals (unless that individual is the player and knows how to kite) because dodging takes time, and there is no limit to how many times you can dodge between rounds, which means that attacking someone a bunch will prevent them from taking any actions as they dodge around indefinitely.

So basically: 50 groundhogs will cause any (non-dragon) creature to dodge until it is unconscious from exhaustion, even if they cannot hurt that creature.  And yes, I just tested that on a roc.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 07:18:40 pm »

The game will actually say
AN INJURED DWARFETTE SPRUNG FROM AMBUSH.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 10:58:39 pm »

Yup. Spawn 50 independent humans in steel plate and with 2h swords, control them all with sneak and hey presto, ambush announcement spam.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 06:14:54 pm »

Yup. Spawn 50 independent humans in steel plate and with 2h swords, control them all with sneak and hey presto, ambush announcement spam.

why did that seem like a good idea... wait, why didn't i try that bad idea before you did!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 10:24:46 pm »

why did that seem like a good idea... wait, why didn't i try that bad idea before you did!

Because Dorf Fortress :D

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 03:55:40 am »

I think a lot of combat oddities could be fixed by giving the appropriate creatures the [NATURAL_SKILL] tag in the appropriate skill (scratching or biting).  I think currently the only creature that has it is minotaurs. 

Since generated wildlife bears have no skills, that is essentially like saying that they are biting as effectively as, say, a dwarf.  You can give them slade teeth and it only helps a little because they are so awful at actually landing a bite. 

But yeah, in general there is a lot of combat strangeness right now.  There have been many updates, but relatively few overhauls to the creature RAW entries.  I suspect more changes will come in the army arc, but for now all you can really do is mod your creatures to be slightly more deadly.  For example ive given my rhinos a sight range of 3 and a 100% chance to enrage.  Pretty much act like you would expect a rhino would. 
where is up?

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 01:37:13 pm »

One of reasons for this oddities is fact that paper cut is as painful as ripping off hand or leg. Result? Zerging mouses could basically nip elephant to death.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 05:01:16 pm »

One of reasons for this oddities is fact that paper cut is as painful as ripping off hand or leg. Result? Zerging mouses could basically nip elephant to death.

Whats worse, I have had more trouble with the denting a groundhog will cause than your average spear-stab wound.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.
Pages: [1] 2