Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trading with artifacts... Where are my artifacts?!  (Read 1671 times)

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trading with artifacts... Where are my artifacts?!
« on: January 03, 2012, 04:07:06 pm »

Hello!

As written in the title, I want to trade some useless artifacts I got. A wooden earring and a bone floodgate to be exact. However, I just can't find them when designating the goods my little urists are to transport to the trading depot.

Is there a hidden secret how to trade artifacts? I've spent about 20 minutes checking and rechecking the list. I even checked the list for all the materials involved (gems, cloth and so forth) but I was unable to find the artifacts. Why can't I trade them? Is it prohibited to trade artifacts? Would the crafter go insane if I did? And if he would, why would this sadistic game not want me to have him go insane? :D

Thanks
Molay
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trading with artifacts... Where are my artifacts?!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 04:08:56 pm »

Artifacts aren't tradeable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 04:23:54 pm »

Artifacts aren't tradeable.

Use your artifacts in a building of some sort. Abandon. Reclaim. Your items will still be in the building. Deconstruct, you can now trade your useless 3 mil gemception sceptre.

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 04:38:01 pm »

That's unfortunate :( But thanks for the answers! Not sure I want to give up the fortress just to get those lousy artifacts ^_^

By the way: Is there a use for earrings? Can I give them to nobles for example? Or, hell why not, use them as a throwing weapon?

Molay
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 04:39:31 pm »

Nope. Use the display case mod, or throw them in magma. The magma won't destroy them, artifacts are bloody invincible.

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 05:08:52 pm »

Nope. Use the display case mod, or throw them in magma. The magma won't destroy them, artifacts are bloody invincible.

Invincible? Then I want to use them as armor! I'll collect more earrings and craft a chainmail out of of it... Nothing will stop my army!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 05:21:18 pm »

Invincible? Then I want to use them as armor! I'll collect more earrings and craft a chainmail out of of it... Nothing will stop my army!

The armour may be invincible, but your Dwarves aren't ;P

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 10:23:20 pm »

Casting it into the fires of Mount Doom will work (really, the semi-molten rock on the bottom destroys everything), but you can also build an anti-artifact atomsmasher if you're lazy.

The third option is to forbid artifact quality items from all stockpiles except one. Every fortress should have a massive, pointless loot stash.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 10:38:18 pm »

I want to trade some useless artifacts I got. A wooden earring and a bone floodgate to be exact.
I havent done this in ages since I stopped playing with artifacts along time ago. Putting an artifact only stockpile at the edge of your map. Some kobolds will eventually pick it up and the next season will return the favour with some ambush, granting exp and irons for your dorfs to melt.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 10:59:19 pm »

I want to trade some useless artifacts I got. A wooden earring and a bone floodgate to be exact.
I havent done this in ages since I stopped playing with artifacts along time ago. Putting an artifact only stockpile at the edge of your map. Some kobolds will eventually pick it up and the next season will return the favour with some ambush, granting exp and irons for your dorfs to melt.

I have never ever seen even a single kobold, and I start about half the time with mountain biomes. Do they really exist? Exiting!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 11:02:02 pm »

In the unmodded game, you will almost never see kobolds, as they all starve in year 4.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 11:06:03 pm »

In the unmodded game, you will almost never see kobolds, as they all starve in year 4.
that... sucks...
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 12:05:31 am »

Oh, yeah that sucks. Also I don't want to fully convert my DF to any mods so far. I just tinkered around in the raws for some things I dislike (like fish scarcity, removed the exotic tags for pets, and added shells to ducks, since they don't yield meat or bones, I hold some just for shells in case of moods). I'll probably take a look in the raws for kobolds and see if I can make them survive^^ Any ideas how I can make them live longer? Why do they starve?

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 06:03:11 am »

Yes, the dwarves love to crank out useless crap.  The latest artifact that got made in my fort was a freakin' mini-forge.  That got dumped in the artifact stockpile meant to hold useless crap. 

Can these artifacts be looted in adventure mode and then later sold by said adventurer?
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 06:49:05 pm »

Yes, the dwarves love to crank out useless crap.  The latest artifact that got made in my fort was a freakin' mini-forge.  That got dumped in the artifact stockpile meant to hold useless crap. 

Can these artifacts be looted in adventure mode and then later sold by said adventurer?

Unless you use them as a construction item, nope.
Pages: [1] 2