Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can i use blood to muddy stone tiles?  (Read 1316 times)

mark009

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Can i use blood to muddy stone tiles?
« on: January 03, 2012, 12:30:29 pm »

Hi guys, this is my first post.

I've been playing for a few months now, but this is the first time i've come across an embark with no trees, water or soil. Since i've put the number of beasts in world gen pretty high; i'd prefer to stay out of the caverns, dor obvious reasons  :P.

So i came across the idea to use my own dorfs blood to wet the stone floor, so i can create farms.
The idea is to drop them down a large 10 z level pit. Of course i could also try throwing booze down there. But if i had to choose between throwing booze or my own dwarfs down a pit, the choice would be obvious.

Would this actually work? If so could i do something to get more blood from 1 dwarf? Or is there another way to get muddy tiles?

I would love to get an anwser soon.

ps: I didn't expect my sanity to drop after only my first post here  :-\

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can i use blood to muddy stone tiles?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 12:39:55 pm »

Doubtful; the game treats true liquids (water/magma) very differently from blood, drinks, vomit, etc. If you throw enough water at a tile, it'll fill up to 1/7, and when that 1/7 evaporates back down to 0/7 you're left with a muddy farmable tile. Blood on the other hand can never fill a tile to 1/7, you just get 'piles' of it sitting around, it never gets treated as an actual liquid that can flow or evaporate or (presumably) muddy a tile.

You may have to access the caverns; it's not too hard to drain off some water without exposing yourself to the local wildlife.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 12:46:40 pm »

Indeed. Just find the caverns - if you wall them off immediately and only breach them underwater for the second time and use pumps, you should be very safe.

Shame, though. Very dwarvish prospect. Now, if only magma left mud behind...
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 01:12:47 pm »

Blood is a pollutant unfortunately, only water works.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 01:59:55 pm »

I think soil can be used for farming even without mud.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 02:06:37 pm »

I think soil can be used for farming even without mud.

The OP says they don't have soil.

@ OP: If you crack the caverns from above, you can put a well above the water source in the cave, and your dwarves can draw water from that to make mud. The only critters getting through it would be flyers, which are still fairly rare.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 02:14:47 pm »

The OP says they don't have soil.

Ah, yes. Missed that, somehow. Sorry about that.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 02:31:36 pm »

Here's a thing: I have found that sometimes, if I construct walls on cavern levels (including inside stone that does not breach the caverns), when I deconstruct them, the tile becomes soil and starts to grow fungus. You could try that and see if you get lucky.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 02:34:56 pm »

building a construction on a tile, and deconstructing it changes the tile to the most prevalent type of soil/stone layer on that level.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 02:39:15 pm »

You CAN'T use blood to muddy a tile. Wish you could use it as fertiliser though. Growing a crop of pig tails and plump helmets with a lust for elven blood!
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

mark009

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 04:17:26 pm »

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll try walling off a section in the caverns then. Is there any guarantee that a forgotten beast will not spawn inside a walled off section in the caverns though?

And isn't there some kind of way to edit the game files, to make blood a liquid?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 04:18:49 pm »

FB's spawn on map edges in the caverns. So unless you wall it weirdly, you'll be fine.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 04:27:41 pm »

You CAN'T use blood to muddy a tile. Wish you could use it as fertiliser though. Growing a crop of pig tails and plump helmets with a lust for elven blood!

...or dwarven blood. Sacrifice, human dwarf sacrifice for the harvest!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 04:32:01 pm »

With farmers priests chanting into the air "FEAST! FEAST! FEAST!" as pig tails drag screaming dwarves and elves into the inch thick layer of mod, inexplicably vanishing into the solid microcline floor  beneath
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 04:35:33 pm »

With farmers priests chanting into the air "FEAST! FEAST! FEAST!" as pig tails drag screaming dwarves and elves into the inch thick layer of mod, inexplicably vanishing into the solid microcline floor  beneath

Harry potter summed up in two sentences.
Pages: [1] 2