Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: tips for starting near a volcaneo?  (Read 3467 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: tips for starting near a volcaneo?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 04:41:49 pm »

Make everything out of green glass if you have sand. Green glass can be made with just sand and fuel. My current fortress is over a volcano, and the catwalk is green glass, my traps are green glass, my bridges are green glass, and my depot is green glass. I'm currently building a roof over the volcano out of green glass blocks. Not to mention which, I found two HOOOOGE veins of shiny gold, and I wouldn't be able to process them without the lava.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 04:43:48 pm by tahujdt »
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 09:45:58 pm »

once you get to the point where you want to get a serious metal industry going, you'll need ALOT of masons to floor off the top of the pipe with. Also, dont punch holes in the floor with the intent of putting forges/smelters there later. wait to punch holes till its time to build the thing. Nothing sucks like dodging a macaque into your magma pipe. Also, with steel production so easy to set up, you might be tempted to make a shit ton of it before you really need it. This will generate ALOT of wealth and draw sieges faster than you're probly ready for.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 10:01:37 pm »

Disadvantage;

It's possible that a Magma Crab or some other lava sea-dwelling creature will wander through the shaft of the volcano.

Pathfinding for swimming creatures is nonfunctional. It is very, very unlikely that anything will ever crawl out.

I had a volcano based fortress that got invaded by fire imps 5 times.  They would always come while I was mass dumping things into the volcano.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 01:29:43 am »

once you get to the point where you want to get a serious metal industry going, you'll need ALOT of masons to floor off the top of the pipe with. Also, dont punch holes in the floor with the intent of putting forges/smelters there later. wait to punch holes till its time to build the thing. Nothing sucks like dodging a macaque into your magma pipe. Also, with steel production so easy to set up, you might be tempted to make a shit ton of it before you really need it. This will generate ALOT of wealth and draw sieges faster than you're probly ready for.

Don't use a lot of masons to floor it. Constructions take forever and cause lag, especially huge floors. Pump water into it instead. Automatic obsidian floor, plus you'll get a lot of collapses that will reveal parts of the magma sea for you.

The other day I started on an embark where a volcano actually bisected a murky pool. Since the embark started in winter, the pool was frozen, so there was a chunk of ice just hanging on the edge of the obsidian rim. When the pool melted in the summer, it formed obsidian on a chunk of the edge, and a few chunks fell into the magma sea. That revealed more of the magma sea, and I found a magma pipe below. The magma pipe extended into a cavern, so I found the cavern. So when the summer came and the ice melted, I got cave fungus in my soil burrows.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 03:44:59 am »

break into it immediately. share your magma bounty with the world
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 05:14:40 am »

Don't use a lot of masons to floor it. Constructions take forever and cause lag, especially huge floors.
REALLY?!?!?!

NO FREAKIN WONDER!!!!!

<FACEPALM>
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 05:49:06 am »

Don't use a lot of masons to floor it. Constructions take forever and cause lag, especially huge floors. Pump water into it instead.

Because pumping water is so much more FPS-friendly, the water's always available, and the whole pump system fits right into every fort layout!

/sarcasm
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 09:24:25 pm »

Because pumping water is so much more FPS-friendly, the water's always available, and the whole pump system fits right into every fort layout!

/sarcasm
I move a fair amount of water around--not always pumping, but lots and lots of mist.

In Whiteletter, I built an artificial river that dumps water out of about 20 aquifer tiles into a 5-wide channel about 200 tiles long, pouring down through my dining room and into the cavern 15 z levels down. The cavern lake now has all these little 1s floating around the surface, a whole lot of them. It's really kind of neat to look at. They're constantly dancing around, trying to find the edge of the map so they can flow off. This whole arrangement made no dent in my FPS. It was capped at 100.

Later on, digging and immigration had brought me down to 85 FPS. Then I excavated down staircases on an (approximately) 35x35 area right over the edge of the aquifer, so I could see exactly where it was (so I could build a power generator for my magma pump stack). When yellow and teal cave moss grew on it, it was so horrible to look at that I floored over it. My dwarves were doing basically nothing else. As they built it, the game ran slower and slower. My FPS went from 85 to 40.

I deconstructed the floor and the FPS went back up to 80 or so.

Except now the floor was yellow and teal down staircases that had rocks on them, so they were blinking.

By the way, when I got that 45 z level magma pump stack running? No hit to FPS there either. (I was using the improved temperature-controlled magma stack someone came up with this year.)

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 10:26:56 pm »

As they built it, the game ran slower and slower. My FPS went from 85 to 40.
Thank you for the important info. In my 3 old games, my FPS always falls to under 50 when I built ABOVE GROUND barracks. But disabled temperature, the FPS remains 80~90. I don't know exactly why, because in my playing the FPS-killer can also be too many dwarves or too many dogs or too many cooked meals or too many rooms and doors or simply too many stones and so on. I thought it would be the food(1000roasts and 2000 booze), as food rotting may involves temperature calculating. Now I think it may be the barrack floors. Have you ever tested about mess flooring and disabling temperature?

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 10:39:47 pm »

Have you ever tested about mess flooring and disabling temperature?

I haven't, but I can hardly imagine that it was a temperature thing, seeing as how it was all underground.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2012, 12:27:39 am »

I've never noticed floors or walls contribute to FPS drains... And I build a LOT :P

BrandonKun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 12:32:35 am »

I've never noticed floors or walls contribute to FPS drains... And I build a LOT :P

This. I very often build above ground constructions, and never have I noticed an FPS drop.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 02:22:52 am »

How big constructions are you talking, though? This was 1200+ constructed tiles.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2012, 02:39:08 am »

How big constructions are you talking, though? This was 1200+ constructed tiles.

I'm talking even with over 16,000 constructed tiles

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2012, 02:47:46 am »

I built 4 layers, 18*15 each, above ground in air, not doubled on cavern floors as you did. My FPS drops, but I'm not quite sure if these floors hurt my FPS though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3