Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: tips for starting near a volcaneo?  (Read 3468 times)

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
tips for starting near a volcaneo?
« on: January 03, 2012, 09:58:15 am »

besides the obius ones like "lol don't jump into magma!!!!11!!"

like advatages disadvatages

and i read the wiki so don't go "READ THE WIKI!!!111!!"

Ok
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: tips for starting near a volcaneo?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 10:11:17 am »

Okay. Right. Okay.

Use it to dump junk you would otherwise pile on caravans or atom smash to get rid of, easier.
Use it to fuel your forges, you have no reason for charcoal other than coal production.
Make magma mines/doomsday weapons to scour the land when a siege has you beat.
Throw those stupid fucking tame vermin the elves bring and you steal in, they have no use to anyone.

Carry on as normal
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 10:12:25 am »

thx that was helpful :)
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 10:13:45 am »

Steel production. Not coal. Herp derp
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 12:05:02 pm »

The only disadvantage I can think of is that it's tough to find a volcano in a good environment. But if you've already found a good spot then there's really no downside to it. Easy access to magma is definitely a plus.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 12:10:41 pm »

The only disadvantage I can think of is that it's tough to find a volcano in a good environment. But if you've already found a good spot then there's really no downside to it. Easy access to magma is definitely a plus.
This, very much. Don't put the volcano in the center of your embark, it usually messes with fortress layout if you had one in mind (especially if you wanted dirt layers, even just for farms) and the metals you will find will likely only be gold and native copper/tetrahedrite. I usually make the volcano at the edge of my embark and try to find one near a forested lowland area, as those mostly have iron (magnetite) in large deposits. If you can find one near a desert that is also okay because you can make glass which is also magma safe if I remember correctly (the wiki article is a bit hard to understand, I suggest testing it in pumps before you make your entire pumpstack out of it).

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 12:12:25 pm »

Build a water pump-stack and cap the volcano by pumping water into the crater. You still have easy access to the magma by smoothing-and-fortifying a corner of the volcano, after you've built an elevated magma storage tank to contain it.

Magma land mines are great. If you use the four-pump-stacks-pointing-inward method, you can shoot magma nearly a dozen levels into the air, and have it rain down on the beardless heads of the Elves your enemies..
Never pet a burning dog.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 12:40:26 pm »

Adv. Parameters is a good way of making ideal volcanos. Turn X and Y variance to 3200 (they will appear at any height) and the volcano number up to say, 80. Not sure what the volcanism variable does but that might help too.

These things make volcanos appearing at useful sites near guaranteed

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 12:45:15 pm »

Disadvantage;

It's possible that a Magma Crab or some other lava sea-dwelling creature will wander through the shaft of the volcano.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 01:02:16 pm »

Adv. Parameters is a good way of making ideal volcanos. Turn X and Y variance to 3200 (they will appear at any height) and the volcano number up to say, 80. Not sure what the volcanism variable does but that might help too.

Volcanoes can only appear at 100 volcanism. Likewise, the higher the rating in volcanism, the more likely a place is going to have igneous rock layers.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 01:12:15 pm »

Disadvantage;

It's possible that a Magma Crab or some other lava sea-dwelling creature will wander through the shaft of the volcano.

Always an advantage.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 02:01:42 pm »

Disadvantage;

Always an advantage.

BOIL THE SEA DRY WITH CAPTIVE MAGMA CRABS! DESTROY THE WORLD! MWAHAHAHAHA!

tivec

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 02:56:57 pm »

Hey, I didn't know this worked! Now I can make volcano-filled worlds whenever I want :) Thanks a lot!
Urist McDoctor recommends a healthy magma bath to minimize the risk for infection.

In one fort I had war elephants riding camels into battle. I can imagine the war elephants taming them simply by picking them up and dropping them in a coral. I still don't understand how you can fit a few ton elephant onto camel though.

Check out my Let's Play on my Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/thetivec

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 03:51:37 pm »

Disadvantage;

Pathfinding for swimming creatures is nonfunctional. It is very, very unlikely that anything will ever crawl out.

The ideal volcano has wood and infinite water on the surface, and a couple of hematite veins and some marble. Looking for sedimentary layers near a volcano is nearly hopeless, so settle for igneous extrusive. Covering multiple biomes increases your odds of getting hematite and marble, and a little bit of desert for sand and is also nice because it means you have unlimited green glass items.

Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 04:07:11 pm »

Disadvantage;

Always an advantage.

BOIL THE SEA DRY WITH CAPTIVE MAGMA CRABS! DESTROY THE WORLD! MWAHAHAHAHA!
Why destroy the world when you can hold it hostage? :P
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.
Pages: [1] 2 3