Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to prevent FPS death  (Read 2221 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Trying to prevent FPS death
« on: January 03, 2012, 06:33:43 am »

Hey guys,

I made a mod with the main focus of removing clutter, many redundant items and anything that slows down your fps significantly.  I just finished writing it and would like to know how good it works, for different players on different computers. Since people wouldnt play a mod that removes stuff, i did add all the usual things, castes, religion, more enemies, custom workshops, and more...

The whole thing is beta, and if you want to help testing it, pointing out the bugs and telling me if it affects the FPS, it would be a great help.

Thread is here: Download

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to prevent FPS death
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 06:36:08 am »

So... it's a mod that removes a lot of stuff, by adding stuff?  So then it's not really an FPS-mod, it's whatever mod you made it to be plus it snips a few clutter items?  And it's posted in the wrong forum section?

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 08:00:25 am »

The mod looks pretty good, but clutter is not the biggest cause of FPS death. Temperature, cavern/heck pathing and excess stones are bigger. I just modded Fortress Defence to wish clothes out of existence.

E: I'm going to use this with Defence, but what do religions and their electives actually do?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 08:02:58 am by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 09:57:00 am »

if only we had a mod that would remove pointlessly negative posts and replace them with constructively critical posts.  *cough*

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 11:22:56 am »

So... it's a mod that removes a lot of stuff, by adding stuff?  So then it's not really an FPS-mod, it's whatever mod you made it to be plus it snips a few clutter items?  And it's posted in the wrong forum section?

Don't hate the player hate the game. FPS death is a b*tch.

But really, rather pointless negative opinions to yourself. We keep it friendly here in Bay12.

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 12:59:15 pm »

-> points out actual issue in a respectful manner

-> pointless negitive comment

http://myfacewhen.com/40/

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 10:56:38 pm »

Well, I add a lot of things that do not affect FPS. Religion and Caste, Engravings and custom workshops do not slow the game down.

I remove many things that cause lag, like all the leather, bone and fat catergories. All items made from these mats are just ONE in the list. Bone bolts are bone bolts, no matter if it was cat, dog, cow or goblin bone.

No clothing, no rotten clothing especially, no corpses, vermin and bodyparts can be cremated, stones can be crushed... only about 35% of the original materials left, so 65% less items types to go through...

I just cant tell how much it really does for the FPS, since I have only on computer to test it on. If several people try it out, using different machines, then the test is much more conclusive. I know this is not the mod section, but this is about FPS death. And that belongs here... if we can make some simple changes and create a fortress that runs twice as long, I dont think anyone would complain. :)

And I do respect girlinhat for all the science she has done, I just expressed myself badly in the first post.

EDIT: About caverns: The mod includes 5 adv. worldgen settings with cavern openess from 85-100, density from 0-10 and water 0-10. This gives you big open cavern, without any mazelike corridors. That should also help fps ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:00:00 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 11:08:39 pm »

Well, I add a lot of things that do not affect FPS.
Everything you add affect FPS. You can only strike a balance.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 11:16:05 pm »

Was totally going to download it till you said it added a bunch of stuff.  Any chance of getting an installable version to try out and see if it works on my lagged-out fort?  I mean, you can't really tell if it's helping unless you have something to directly compare it to :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:17:41 pm by nukularpower »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 11:24:07 pm »

Sry, but if you install a mod you have to generate a new world. Thats how it is. I unfortunately cant change that.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 11:49:09 pm »

Was totally going to download it till you said it added a bunch of stuff.  Any chance of getting an installable version to try out and see if it works on my lagged-out fort?  I mean, you can't really tell if it's helping unless you have something to directly compare it to :)
upload your fort and I'd see what I can do with it ;p
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 12:42:17 am »

Would but it's already using a mod, LFR :/

Anyways, will give this a shot once I'm done with my current fort/it lags too much to play anymore :)  It's definately a good idea, not sure why this game needs 8923234 types of leather and 23823847234 more types of cloth.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 01:12:02 am »

Would but it's already using a mod, LFR :/

Anyways, will give this a shot once I'm done with my current fort/it lags too much to play anymore :)  It's definately a good idea, not sure why this game needs 8923234 types of leather and 23823847234 more types of cloth.
That's OK, upload anyway.