Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

- 0 (0%)

- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: February 01, 2012, 06:12:51 am

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Dio e Popolo! (Ch. VII)  (Read 62409 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Dio e Popolo! (Ch. VII)
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2012, 01:31:07 am »

Ooh, an update! Good progress it seems. Perhaps one day Pope Barbarossa will see the Republic become fully secular and democratic.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2012, 06:32:00 pm »

So, one of the drives in my laptop's raid setup failed during write and the volume was corrupted.  Windows won't boot and I've been stuck for the past few days fixing it up.

The good news is it's almost certainly not malware, the bad news is I think I need a new hard drive, but I've been able to recover a lot of data from the good drive and I'm going to try to retrieve the LP folder tonight.  I should be able to patch up any corruption with the uploaded mod and continue this, but I'll be busy for a little while.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2012, 03:54:01 am »

Prepare the incense and the holy litanies. Hope it all works out.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2012, 12:26:37 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All but one of the save files (an early one) were salvageable.  This is good since any junk data in the most recent save can probably get spliced with an earlier healthy save in case of corruption.  Once I reinstall v2 I should better know how to proceed.

Unfortunately all the pictures for the last turn were lost, which means I can either replay the turn or just skip a few years in the LP narrative.  Not sure which would be better.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2012, 12:33:29 pm »

Replay if it doesn't feel like a chore. Personally I think we could skip the few years if nothing of substance happened during that time.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2012, 11:01:58 pm »

I'd suggest briefly summarizing the years in which pictures are missing.

Hm, your computer fails after making a heretic into the Pope.  Could this be a sign?  :P

All joking aside, sorry about your computer, and I'm glad most of your saves are ok.  On the bright side, you got your mod online before the crash, so at least it's safe.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2012, 05:49:00 am »

Thanks :)  The sentiment is appreciated.  The computers up and running again and all the important stuff is okay, so if this was a divine omen it was a rather merciful one.

I'm awaiting a response from Steam since thanks to Steam Guard and my old email being gone, I haven't been able to get back v2 yet, but I've started writing that summary, the most significant event of the turn being...

Spoiler: Alert (click to show/hide)

Update; we are experiencing techincal difficulties.  My apologies everyone, I will likely resume this abruptly at a later date, though all the same I hope you've enjoyed Rome's rise to power so far.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:44:25 am by SethCreiyd »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2012, 03:50:43 am »

From what I can tell, we've probably reached a point at which victory can be proclaimed, if you wish.  Although much work needs to be done in order to achieve world dominance, I doubt the AI can stop you now.

chronicfc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 08, 2012, 09:35:39 pm »

I need this mod so much.

Soon, my precious San Marino, soon.

And when I finally do have my precious, I will banish the old flag of San Marino for the fancy blue and white number they wave at present day.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:37:32 pm by chronicfc »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 09, 2012, 08:49:17 am »

We'd love to hear how that goes for you.  Since I just bought Victoria 2, I'd love to hear how others achieve world dominance.  It would certainly help my getting into the game.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 09, 2012, 10:32:38 am »

This version should still work for vanilla Victoria 2.  I'd thought interest had waned in the mod, no one seemed to have mentioned downloading it, and I never did finish the conversion to A House Divided or upload it to Paradox, but that can probably be prioritized that if desired, since there's only a bit more work to get it running.

I couldn't figure out how to fix the save to run with the current mod build, or I'd have continued this through to the Roman Empire.  The Republic wouldn't have lasted long, you see.  ;)

chronicfc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 09, 2012, 11:01:43 am »

This version should still work for vanilla Victoria 2.  I'd thought interest had waned in the mod, no one seemed to have mentioned downloading it, and I never did finish the conversion to A House Divided or upload it to Paradox, but that can probably be prioritized that if desired, since there's only a bit more work to get it running.

I couldn't figure out how to fix the save to run with the current mod build, or I'd have continued this through to the Roman Empire.  The Republic wouldn't have lasted long, you see.  ;)

Thank you, oh glorious leader. Is there anyway to back date my Victoria 2 AHD to just Vic 2 Vanilla?

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 09, 2012, 11:56:30 am »

You could copy the AHD folder to a new directory and reinstall vanilla V2, but that would cost an extra gigabyte.  Once I post the AHD friendly release to Paradox I'll put a link here.

chronicfc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 09, 2012, 12:24:29 pm »

Is there anything you specifically need to do that I could help with. I'm not exactly a technical wizard, but I do have a lot of time on my hands, because of study leave and whatnot

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 11, 2012, 09:03:42 am »

I appreciate the offer, but I'm unsure of what could be outsourced.  I've got to:

- Rename some Mongolian provinces and Chinese substates (Manchuria -> Jilin, etc.)
- Include the Taiping Rebellion
- Reform starting techs, thanks to the bizarre choice to uniformly strip 'primitive' nations of any kind of advancement

In unmodded AHD, every nation that isn't Westernized starts with NO technology, which I think an absurd balance decision that's bad for historicity.  It's ludicrous and denigrating to the non-Western states, even moreso than vanilla V2's marginalization - does Paradox think Egypt and the Zulu were on equal terms militarily and technologically in 1836?  Or that the ENTIRETY of non-Western nations were all equally backward to the point where they lacked access to Flintlock rifles and water wheels?  It's kind of a huge gripe for me and it reeks of laziness.  Still a great game that I adore, but IMO they dropped the ball hard on this one.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12