Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

- 0 (0%)

- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: February 01, 2012, 06:12:51 am

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Dio e Popolo! (Ch. VII)  (Read 62458 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Habemus Papam! (Ch. IV)
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2012, 03:49:26 am »

Thanks Seth.

I really don't want to derail this anymore, but the colonization, DOW, all that stuff?  Can't do it.  Satellite of the Ottomans. 

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2012, 09:28:42 am »

Cicero lays inside the bedroom of his house, looking out the window facing the Piazza Navona. His expression is one of contempt and pity. He sees the beggars, the huddled starving children, the sick, the maimed. He sees the burned church across the street from where Garibaldi's soldiers attacked. He sees all this and sighs.

Suddenly he spots a commotion in the Piazza. The people are swarming to the fountain, cheering. The Cardinal squints and manages to spot a figure standing on one of the benches. Cicero opens his bedside table and retrieves out his opera glasses to get a better look. The man is handing out leaflets and food.

Suddenly there's a frenzied knocking at the door. He opens it and recognizes Adam Travers, one of his spies.

"What is it Adam? News?"
"Cardinal, liberal agitators are once again stirring up trouble in our holy city!"
Cicero scowls. "Damn! And they have half the damned Cardinal College wrapped around their finger. Before you know it we'll all be goddamned atheists!" Cicero pauses for a moment to collect himself then continues. "Paul get the boys out in the streets. Half the damn city might have gone liberal but money will always get some thugs on your side. Tell them to disperse public gatherings, but not to kill anybody. Oh and as usual, hire them through Antonello. The last thing I need is this getting traced back to me..."

Thanks Seth.

I really don't want to derail this anymore, but the colonization, DOW, all that stuff?  Can't do it.  Satellite of the Ottomans.

Play as a bigger country. I learned on Spain but that's just me.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2012, 11:17:20 am »

Sheb was happy. Of course, his leadership had publicly reprimanded him for his acts. That was in the order of things, the Holy See couldn't be seen  condoning new crusades, not with the current liberal mood that was wrecking havoc all over Europe. Still, the enemies of the Church were being punished, and that was what really counted. And did he not get secret messages of encouragement?

Still, much needed to be done. Egypt was, by and large, pacified, although he regretted not being able to force those savages to convert. But back home, in the streets and markets of Italy, radical atheists were waging a war of propaganda against the Christ himself.

Taking a sheet of paper and his best quill Sheb wrote a letter to the College.

"Mgr the Cardinals,

I am glad and proud to announce the Swiss Guards once more outdid themselves in skills, bravery and piety in the defense of Christendom. From Tripoli to the Nile, not a single rebel dare show his face. Daily, hundreds of souls are saved by our chaplains and their Conversion Companies. Faithful to the teaching of Christ, we did in fact forgive those Egyptians that so oppressed our Lord's own people, and are now saving them from themselves.

I am however afraid that all our efforts in those soon-to-be Christian land may be wasted by the agitation and revolts back home. Of all the Pontifical Units, the Swiss Guard is the one with the most experience in occupation and counter-insurgency, the one best suited to take on the Garibaldi's Red Shirts.

Thus, I humbly ask the College to consider calling the Swiss Guard back to Italy, where we can best protect the Papacy and everything that's sacred.

Sheb, Oberst der Schweizergarde."

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2012, 04:23:59 pm »

Cardinal Boksi's journal;
24. November, 1848

I must confess, I am worried and uncertain. We live in worrying and uncertain times, and it has been a belief of mine that the church should stand as a bastion to the faitful, shielding them from any storm. Of course, I was young and naive when I first formulated this belief. I wonder, had I given up on such naive thoughts, would I have become like the kings and dukes and princes of Europe, more concerned with myself and my faring in this world than my standing in the eyes of the Lord?

(Note to self: Don't buy anymore tea for a while; already have a cupboard full of it)

Now I begin hearing of a new political ideology, that of anarcho-liberalism. An apt name, indeed! Allowing them to do what they want will lead the world to anarchy! I have no doubts that the antichrist will be one such. Still, these people on the whole are not, I believe, bad people. It is easy to lead people astray if they are malcontent, and with the current state of the world they have plenty of reasons to be malcontent about. Still, their ambitions are foolish. Letting people rule themselves is not such a good idea; they need a shepherd to lead them away from temptation and sin. While I don't believe such a government turn society into some kind of orgy of lust and violence, I do believe it will slowly erode at our societal morals. That is why God created kingdoms, so that a strong monarch could make sure no sheep strays from the flock. But a leader must be a man of strong moral character. I am afraid that many have fallen into the traps of materialism and pay the kingdom of God only lip-service.

(Note to self: Old green coat is worn out. Get a new one, and perhaps give the old one to Mario. Poor boy needs some new clothes now that he's growing)

Yes, even if the monarch is strong, it's no good unless his advisors and vassals are as well. A castle must be built on solid foundations, and even the strongest of walls will be ground to dust beneath the sands of time if nobody repairs it.

Suddenly, I am reminded of the Senate. Not the American Senate, no, but the Roman one. Perhaps letting some "democracy" into the appointments to the college of Cardinals would go a long way to seeing men of moral fortitude getting in there? No, perhaps it will only be the scum that will float to the top.

Regardless, I must be going. I admit, I have been funneling funds from the church to this project, but I do not believe I am acting with ill intent in doing so(unlike possibly other Cardinals, although I have not investigated any such matters). The hospital I funded is finally complete, and I intend to visit it in person. Now there's something that wouldn't happen with a governmentthat tried to not interfere with its subjects. But for now, I look forward to a short holiday in the south. Perhaps later I shall try to build a hospital in the holy land? Surely there are many injured and sick after this crusade.

-B.P.T.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2012, 02:09:14 am »

Bump. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2012, 07:12:34 pm »

OP updated.  Thanks for contributing, everyone!  Chapter 5 is underway and will hopefully be done soon.

Play as a bigger country. I learned on Spain but that's just me.

Like Cicero says, a bigger country is better to learn with.  As a satellite you'll be in the shadow of your 'mother' country while being dragged into the wars they decide to fight.  The way to get out of it is to have a revolution, either in your country or the one controlling yours.  Let some political rebels seize your capital and wait until your government changes, and the vassalage will be broken; just be prepared for a DoW from your old rulers or the other powers around that suddenly have a new target.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2012, 07:40:14 pm »

New OP is awesome. You really spruced it up!

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2012, 08:26:45 pm »

The OP looks great, this is the best LP I've seen in a while.

To anyone looking to get into Victoria, you do need to... wait for it... start with a big country.  The U.S. is really good for this, as it gives you a lot of time before the Civil War to learn and prepare (HINT: Get rid of soldiers from the "Dixie" culture group if you want to play Union; cut "Yankee" ones if you want to go C.S.A.).  Another good way to learn is to pick smaller nations like the Papal States and Belgium and stuff.  You have to watch things in these nations that bigger powers basically do by themselves.  For a real challenge, try to survive as Texas or some Indian nation, and for bonus points, make it into a great power.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2012, 05:34:34 am »

Good work with the OP and LP as a whole, keep this up. Salutations, SethCreiyd & co.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Habemus Papam! (Ch. V)
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2012, 01:59:35 am »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2012, 03:11:36 am »

...You recreated the time of the ancient Romans? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2012, 08:58:20 am »

I love it. Please keep on it.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2012, 10:16:23 am »

I do not often write in this journal, but today I feel the need to, to organise my thoughts properly. The Papal States are no more. Normally a horrifying thought, but today... possibly not. The Roman Republic stands in its place. Universal voting, albeit weighted towards the rich, free press... The people are free. Possibly more free than they could have been under the Papal States. Only God can tell. - from an unsigned diary, handwriting matched to Cardinal McCrea, dated to January 1852

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2012, 10:54:33 am »

What in all the nine layers of hell just happened?! This isn't how it was supposed to come to pass! Alright, alright....this is only a setback. The proletariat may have just been convinced of great concessions, but I'm sure that in time they will come to regret that they don't live in a real worker's paradise.-Journal of (Ex-?)Cardinal Hunt
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2012, 05:55:40 pm »

Roman Republic

You kn ow what this means, don't you?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12