Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

- 0 (0%)

- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: February 01, 2012, 06:12:51 am

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Dio e Popolo! (Ch. VII)  (Read 62445 times)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Habemus Papam! (Ch. II)
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2012, 06:36:48 pm »

Can I get a Cardinal from the isle of Malta?

Sure thing.  Will Cardinal Barbarossa be associated with the Knights of Malta?

Hey, I wasn't Cardinal'ed!

Well, can I be the head of the Swiss Guard then?

I'm sorry Sheb, I completely missed it.  You are now Commander of the Pontifical Swiss Guard and a Sergeant of the Swiss Army, I hope that makes up for it.

I put a character sheet in the OP along with a list of missions assigned by the Cardinals.  Non-Cardinal characters can set forth missions too, but characters hostile to the Church like Monsieur Mondetat should go through unofficial channels beyond the ken of the Curia.

If anyone would like to change names, titles or holdings let me know so I can adjust them.

un-ninja edit.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 06:42:17 pm by SethCreiyd »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2012, 06:57:33 pm »

Nope, he's an undercover agent of the pagan resistance.  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2012, 07:07:49 pm »

I like my titles. :3
That character sheet looks real nice, and I look forward to the next update.

On an unrelated note, I started my own game of Victoria 2 as the U.S.  I cheated beforehand and made England release Canada and give me Caribou.  After a long adventure in Mexico, the Civil War happened, and I had forgotten how much I hate that event.  How is it that redcoats are easy to kill even in their little doomstacks, but dixieland soldiers kill 1000 of my soldiers every combat round to their loss of 56?  Even when I have entrenchment, and have 10,000 more troops than them?  Screw the CSA, for reals.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2012, 07:16:13 pm »

I always do love seeing games where the US collapses into a bunch of alternate history states. I think the full vanilla list is: The CSA, Deseret, the Californian Republic, Texas, New England, the Manhattan Commune, and the Kingdom of America. All of these existing leaves the actual US with a tiny strip of land from Washington DC to Michigan, assuming that it has not been taken by the KoA.

And of course, this isn't vanilla. I can only imagine what nations Seth has modded in.

(Fun Fact: I've never seen it myself, but people tell me that a GP Iraq can declare itself Babylon like GP Greece can become the Byzantine Empire.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:17:45 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2012, 10:29:24 pm »

can I mod the game so countries like Britian and france don't gobble up all the uncolonised parts of the world?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2012, 03:17:47 pm »

YOu might be able to make those nations have better troops so they can fight them off.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2012, 06:46:04 pm »

I'll take a cardinal if possible. He should be from one of the core provinces of the papacy, and he is a promoter of industrial and civil reform.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2012, 06:46:22 pm »

can I mod the game so countries like Britian and france don't gobble up all the uncolonised parts of the world?

But isn't that what happened in real life?

I know in the EU games, you can mod the AI not to colonize, or to colonize less, or to only focus on a specific area.  Dunno about Victoria 2.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2012, 07:50:30 pm »

Less then you'd think (don't know how much it happens in this game). The by the XIX century the great empires not so much conquered and colonized, as took charge of uncivilized governments though diplomacy (personal bribes), foreign aid (countrywide bribes) and projection of force (military bullying).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2012, 09:25:15 pm »

Indeed, I'm in AP European history now, after Napoleon and whatnot wrapped up the European technological superiority combined with the effects of industrialization meant they no longer needed to conquer nations to rape them of their natural resources, instead they bullied them into submission so that they would sell them to the European nation to process and make a profit of of because administering colonies is expensive.

In fact India was considered the jewel of the British Empire because it was one of their few holdings that actually made money.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2012, 10:43:46 pm »

I know in the EU games, you can mod the AI not to colonize, or to colonize less, or to only focus on a specific area.  Dunno about Victoria 2.

I hope so, I'm having fun but after I conquer a single nation every other nation decides to dogpile me.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2012, 09:37:56 pm »

January 3rd 1841: What is the Holy See coming to? Are we not Christians? Are we not followers of Christ the Lord? The rules of the Bible and the teachings of Christ should be our guiding doctrine. Our current Pope seems more apt to follow the doctrine of Machiavelli than the doctrine of God.

Conquest is not the job of the Vatican. The Bible reads, "thou shalt not kill." It does not say, "thou shalt not kill non-Christians" or "thou shalt not kill unless there is just cause." It simply forbids the killing of another man. The Papacy has gone astray. I pray daily that God will set us straight and send us back on the path of righteousness. But if it His will to leave the corrupt in power than it is not my place to question. Perhaps He is testing us, weeding out the ones among us who would betray Him.

I know what I believe and I will continue to believe it and I will continue to raise this matter until it is resolved and we return to the ways of good or until I die.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2012, 02:05:01 am »

I'll take a cardinal if possible. He should be from one of the core provinces of the papacy, and he is a promoter of industrial and civil reform.

Sure, welcome to Rome.  Will your name be Cardinal Neo?

Nope, he's an undercover agent of the pagan resistance.  :P

I hope he keeps private records.  Such affiliation is most unbecoming of a Holy Elector!

I like my titles. :3
That character sheet looks real nice, and I look forward to the next update.

On an unrelated note, I started my own game of Victoria 2 as the U.S.  I cheated beforehand and made England release Canada and give me Caribou.  After a long adventure in Mexico, the Civil War happened, and I had forgotten how much I hate that event.  How is it that redcoats are easy to kill even in their little doomstacks, but dixieland soldiers kill 1000 of my soldiers every combat round to their loss of 56?  Even when I have entrenchment, and have 10,000 more troops than them?  Screw the CSA, for reals.

Thanks, its good to hear its enjoyable.  Regarding the CSA, in Victoria they get a ton of leadership when the Civil War starts which gives them amazing generals.  This is to give them a competing chance against the North and is pretty historical, the South is oft regarded to have had the better trained officers.  The trick is to occupy and blockade them into poverty while avoiding solid engagement.  Once their armies stop reorganizing the war is basically won.

I always do love seeing games where the US collapses into a bunch of alternate history states. I think the full vanilla list is: The CSA, Deseret, the Californian Republic, Texas, New England, the Manhattan Commune, and the Kingdom of America. All of these existing leaves the actual US with a tiny strip of land from Washington DC to Michigan, assuming that it has not been taken by the KoA.

And of course, this isn't vanilla. I can only imagine what nations Seth has modded in.

(Fun Fact: I've never seen it myself, but people tell me that a GP Iraq can declare itself Babylon like GP Greece can become the Byzantine Empire.)

You can indeed get Babylon with a powerful enough Iraq.  Never done it before, myself, I began a game as Iraq but quit from inactivity.  As far as new nations go, I'm hoping we get to see the sovereign republic of Louisiana sometime this game.  Here's an example pic, a divided Western Europe.  Frace is the most complete.  Some of the green saturation is too high.  WIP.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I know what I believe and I will continue to believe it and I will continue to raise this matter until it is resolved and we return to the ways of good or until I die.

Hear hear!  I suspect most of the good Cardinals will want to vote for someone like Cardinal Cicero to be the next Pope.

In the v2/common/ folder, find 'defines.lua' and open it in a text editor.  Look for this line in the ai section:  "COLONY_WEIGHT = 10.0, -- ai weight for colonizing."  Change the 10.0 or whatever it is to whatever you like, lower is less likely.

Indeed, I'm in AP European history now, after Napoleon and whatnot wrapped up the European technological superiority combined with the effects of industrialization meant they no longer needed to conquer nations to rape them of their natural resources, instead they bullied them into submission so that they would sell them to the European nation to process and make a profit of of because administering colonies is expensive.

In fact India was considered the jewel of the British Empire because it was one of their few holdings that actually made money.

Well, it wasn't quite that simple.  Take Britain:  While the majority of English people experienced peace throughout the Victorian period, (the Crimean War notwithstanding) Great Britain was at war almost every year from Waterloo to 1920, most of them colonial wars.  And though colonies were expensive and often unprofitable, control of resources, trade routes, naval supply and military access were important reasons for the extension of territory.

India was in fact the Jewel of the Crown, but it was ultimately won by force after the dissolution of the Mughal Empire and the establishment of the British Raj following the Sepoy Rebellion.  Prior to this, the British East India Company was allowed to collect revenue taxes by the defeated Mughals from certain provinces in East India.  The Anglo-Martha and Mysore wars meanwhile provided the British Crown with the entirety of land south of the Namarda river east of Calicut and Travancore.

The bullying mentioned was certainly prevalent in world diplomacy at the time, protectorates were indeed established diplomatically with the consent of the subject nation, often through mechanisms of military bullying or economic domination, but there was plenty of old fashioned conquest going on, and the Powers were even defeated by far lesser nations from time to time, especially when they'd yet to bring their full force forward.

But history itself is far from simple, impossible to view or even teach without bias.

Part of the reason I was compelled to mod in all the precolonial African nations was to further demonstrate the impossible fight for survival those nations faced.

And now, to lighten the mood, here is a close-up of Dr. Robotnik.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyways, on with the show.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:10:42 am by SethCreiyd »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Habemus Papam! (Ch. III)
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2012, 02:05:35 am »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Habemus Papam! (Ch. III)
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2012, 06:55:47 am »

At first I was like, BAKSHI! Then I was aww it's not Bakshi.

Country seems to be well on its way to industrialization. We seem to be doing well with the war but the Egyptians still field quite a lot of troops there. Exciting.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12