Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

- 0 (0%)

- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: February 01, 2012, 06:12:51 am

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Dio e Popolo! (Ch. VII)  (Read 62432 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Habemus Papum!
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 06:51:49 am »

Cardinal Jack Euchre is fine for me.  Whatever idealogy is fine.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 03:18:14 pm »

Also, it's Habemus Papam, not Habemus Papum. :p
Always found it funny that the word for pope belongs to a feminine declination ;D
(posting to watch)
That reminds me of how in Medieval II Total War you could have a Pope who is both secretly a woman and secretly an atheist.

Also, once the ideology is unlocked I want to be a communist Cardinal because its funny.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 03:26:09 pm »

I almost made a woman Pope the other day, which trait made them atheist? I don't rememberthat one.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 09:21:01 pm »

If you don't already have too many cardinals (which I suspect you do) I'd like to be a conservative cardinal who supports the strict adherence to all rules of the Bible. All of them.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2012, 10:53:26 pm »

Then I'd like to be a Jewish (or whatever the ethnicity is, Palestinian? Hebrew?) atheist cardinal. The bible is a collection of metaphors, you see. And we... ahem... wrote the book on it. 8)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Habemus Papam!
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 11:20:00 pm »

Also, it's Habemus Papam, not Habemus Papum. :p
Always found it funny that the word for pope belongs to a feminine declination ;D
(posting to watch)

Whoops, you're right, thanks.  Fixed.  Glaring error if ever there was one.   :-[

Then I'd like to be a Jewish (or whatever the ethnicity is, Palestinian? Hebrew?) atheist cardinal. The bible is a collection of metaphors, you see. And we... ahem... wrote the book on it. 8)

Hmm, how did this atheist from Palestine come to be a Cardinal?  Advancing through the ranks of the clergy must have been dreadful.  Is it simply that he wants power and saw the church as a good way to get there, or is he part of a conspiracy to destroy the church itself from within?

I'll try and think of how to handle everyone's Cardinals in the story based on their proposed or imagined goals.  Ideas are welcome, in-character journals would be a joy.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:58:39 pm by SethCreiyd »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 11:45:58 pm »

My name is rather out there compared to the others. Perhaps just Cardinal Hunt? That sounds much more like a real name.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2012, 12:04:53 am »

As I am a horrible writer, don't expect much in the way of inspired diction from me.
However, I am good at using lists and pretty words to mask my ineptitude.

His Eminence, Cardinal Canalan, Archbishop of Montreal, has provided you, his close associates and friends, with a list of proposed social reforms that His Eminence believes would "further modernize the practices of the Papal States and work for the liberty of the common Catholic."

1) To provide for the welfare of the working man, a bureaucracy dedicated to passing judgement on the safety of working conditions in any new or existing factory should be established.

2) To save the retired workers from the degradations of poverty, a generous pension and healthcare system should be established.

3) To restrict the seekers of profit from taking advantage of the working man, a 14 hour work day should be established, with at least a token minimum wage to prod employers in the correct direction.

4) Further political rallies should be organized along the model provided by our test in Toscana pushing for extension of voting rights and the introduction of unions.

5) Closer relations to the United States of America.  Their favor would be a valuable thing to possess if our current pattern of expansion offends some heathen nation with a numerically superior military force.

His Eminence expects these reforms to be agitated for and passed within the next ten or fifteen years.  Remember, only by eternal progression can eternal prosperity be found.  His Eminence also requests this meeting be kept confidential, for His Holiness is not favorable to our agenda and may actively campaign against it.

Also, this was a really nice write-up, and has made me want to go play Victoria 2 again.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:21:11 am by Canalan »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2012, 12:29:58 am »

I guess I can write something up.

Entry 1, January 3 1841

My appointment to the College was honestly...a surprise. I am young for the position and probably do not have the experience necessary, but I shall serve regardless. From here I can influence the Pope and his...advisors to goals most righteous and good. Specifically, the subjugation of the ancient holy land of Israel and Judea.

(I'm assuming the Ottomans still hold the Holy Land?)

To this end, I have sent several letters to some allies in the Ottoman Empire...if all goes well, the first steps to claiming the Holy Land will be executed.

In the meantime, I do believe I shall spend some time with the rabbis in the ghetto. Many things to learn from our misguided brothers, yes.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2012, 06:12:49 am »

Response of Cardinal Jack Euchre:

Brothers, we need to go back to how things were.  Principally, we need to restore Rome's dominance over that little pond that stretches from the Atlantic to the Holy Land.

And more money for the Jesuits.  More, more!

[Hearty laugh]

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2012, 12:04:28 pm »

Is it possible for a liberal Cardinal McCrea to arrive from Scotland? Also, spoilering the pictures or the whole updates makes scrolling through the page a lot easier.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2012, 07:39:59 pm »

I do not wish to be a cardinal, I want to be Arleone Mondetat, revolutionary extraordinaire!

I will see the papacy overthrown, and an atheist state imposed where Lady Liberty smiles down on the people where Jesus Christ once was. La mort du pape! Viva La Revolución!

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Habemus Papam! (Ch. II)
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2012, 01:04:11 am »

My name is rather out there compared to the others. Perhaps just Cardinal Hunt? That sounds much more like a real name.

You are now His Eminence Cardinal Hunt.  I did like Cardinal Slimehunt though.

Response of Cardinal Jack Euchre:

Brothers, we need to go back to how things were.  Principally, we need to restore Rome's dominance over that little pond that stretches from the Atlantic to the Holy Land.

And more money for the Jesuits.  More, more!

[Hearty laugh]

I'll see how much sterling we can spare, the Papal States are suddenly short of cash due to massive artillery purchases.

Is it possible for a liberal Cardinal McCrea to arrive from Scotland? Also, spoilering the pictures or the whole updates makes scrolling through the page a lot easier.

His Eminence Cardinal McCrea it is.  Good idea with the spoilering, it is done.

I do not wish to be a cardinal, I want to be Arleone Mondetat, revolutionary extraordinaire!

I will see the papacy overthrown, and an atheist state imposed where Lady Liberty smiles down on the people where Jesus Christ once was. La mort du pape! Viva La Revolución!

Yes, I see.  I'll prepare a special type of rebel just for this LP.  Mondetat's Blueshirts, or something like that.

@Canalan, thanks!  I think you're a better scribe than you admit.  Average consciousness in the States is well over 9.0 so we should start getting militancy events to pass some reforms.

@micelus, It's the Egyptians who control Judea, for now.  I'll see what I can do about that.  Egypt won't exactly be easy to take out.  Non-Western nations can be quite formidable in this mod, given time to develop, and Egypt is on par with the Ottomans in military tech.  If France helps out it'll be far less tricky.

I updated the title with the chapter number, I'll change that whenever I post an update.  Chapter 3 is underway.  You can claim your own bishoprics if you like, it's an alt-history heavy on alt so there really aren't any 19th century Cardinals we can't have had an unfortunate accident befall.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2012, 01:42:54 am »

Can I get a Cardinal from the isle of Malta?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2012, 03:47:03 am »

Hey, I wasn't Cardinal'ed!

Well, can I be the head of the Swiss Guard then?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12