Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

- 0 (0%)

- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: February 01, 2012, 06:12:51 am

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Dio e Popolo! (Ch. VII)  (Read 62413 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Habemus Papam! (Ch. V)
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2012, 06:23:38 pm »

Question, Seth: What are the other options and their effects for the government change event? I can see "Liberty!" creates a Constitutional Republic, but what about the others.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2012, 10:27:34 pm »

Cicero stands before a crowd in a crowded public forum, one of many that have started to operate following the revolution, in the tradition of the Roman Republic of old. The crowd is murmuring to itself gently until Cicero clears his throat, signifying that he is ready to speak.

Citizens of Rome, I stand here before you today not as a cardinal, not as a superior. I stand here before you today as an equal. As a citizen of this Holy Republic. As another man under God. For God has willed that this revolution overtake the land and I am not one to question God's will.

Some men of the Holy See may not see themselves as your equals, they may not take too kindly to the changes this revolution has wrought on this great peninsula. They prefer the days when they could rob you, draft you and send you off to die for their imperialistic devil ways. I am not one of them!

A cheer rips through the crowd. Cicero lets it last for a little while then signals for silence.

I for one believe that this revolution is God's way of punishing these men who have seized control of His own Kingdom on Earth. However it is up to the people now. You must choose the path of this great kingdom. You must choose whether to create a kingdom of serenity and moralism that is pleasing to God or a kingdom of barbaric heathenism that will condemn all who live in it to the depths of Hell. It is for the good of this Republic that I now announce my canidacy for the position of Consul, highest in the Roman Republic, in order to put in place the Conservative reforms that are needed for the preservation of every soul in this Holy Republic!

The crowd once again lets out a cheer. Cicero basks in the spotlight for a little while before retiering into the backroom. He is greeted there by his aide, Adam.

How did it go Cardinal?

Cicero smiles and replies in a restrained manner,

Oh about as well as expected Adam. The people are hungry for the grace of God. And I intend to enable them to recieve it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:21:53 am by Cicero »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2012, 12:05:02 am »

It's Consul, but otherwise, sounds goof. Let's get all Rome up in this shit.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2012, 01:18:51 am »

Holy crap.  Time for a thing.

My brothers, I come to speak to you in person tonight, for victory is at last ours.  Our friends in the Republican Guard have forged a new and free nation for the betterment of humanity.  It continues to be our job to police the state of our nation, and make sure it is in an eternal state of progression.  On a related note, I hope to found our first international branch within the United States to forward the cause of liberty there.  I have contacted the Archbishop of Baltimore, and found that he hopes to step down soon.  He will recommend me as his replacement.  If I am selected, I will be able to travel abroad freely without suspicion.  I look forward to the day when the world will experience what we have accomplished here.  Good night, and be vigilant.
-Minutes from most recent meeting, Cardinal Canalan speaking.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2012, 10:22:27 am »

Thanks, I fixed it. Also it's good not goof :)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2012, 11:35:42 am »

Thanks, I fixed it. Also it's good not goof :)

Well played, good sir.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2012, 09:59:40 pm »

The first modern Election of the Roman Republic has begun!  And immediately preceding the announcement, Rome's Interim Legislative Council declared the extension of voting privileges to all members of the Roman citizenry - voting policy is now Universal to all citizens.

Arleone Mondetat is placed on the ballot by petition of citizenry; over ten thousand signatures delivered to the Election Council's office.  Giuseppe Garibaldi is expected to join the ballot as well, along with Cardinal Cicero who has attained quite a following among Roman conservatives.  There is plenty of time before the election heats up and so more candidates are expected to enter the race before long.  Those elected will have a chance to dictate the political course of the Republic.

Spoiler: Political Overview (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Major Campaign Issues (click to show/hide)

...You recreated the time of the ancient Romans? 

There are certainly similarities.  If things unfold historically, France will soon declare war.  This here Republic is inspired by the Roman Republic of 1849.  The flag is an original tricolour based on the ancient Roman Republic's flag, modded in along with the name-change.  Vanilla V2 has a different flag for republican Papal States that is a mishmash of 18th and 19th century Roman state flags.  The 'Dio et Popolo' flag was a gift from the Venice, and too close to the current flag of Italy, so I opted for the gold and red "Pax Romana" look.

Good work with the OP and LP as a whole, keep this up. Salutations, SethCreiyd & co.

I love it. Please keep on it.

Thanks for the support!

Roman Republic

You kn ow what this means, don't you?

Hmm... that the Subject tagline needs something new?  Vivat Republica! might work if it's grammatically sound.

Question, Seth: What are the other options and their effects for the government change event? I can see "Liberty!" creates a Constitutional Republic, but what about the others.

Aside from 'Liberty!' there is 'Equality!' for a Confederation, 'Justice!' for Parliamentary Republic and 'Praise be to God!' for a Theocratic Republic (might switch governments for Liberty and Equality, not sure).  There aren't too many differences between them yet as the events that give modifiers for different governments aren't implemented yet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2012, 06:31:21 am »

"He had failed!"

The words kept echoing across Sheb's head. He had failed. The Church, once a great temporal power on par with Prussia and France, had been reduced to a few ships, some Zouaves and a court of justice. Jews and Atheists were now running for office, and may even one day lead the Republic.

But all was not lost. The people of Italy were a pious, honest folks, and many of them disliked the liberal policies that destroyed the Church. Even before the revolutions, a great many of them were on the verge of open revolt, and all across the campaign, under the vain agitation of "elections", dicontent was brewing. All that was needed was a spark, and he could be that spark. With the most trustful men of his Swiss Guards, Sheb will go in hiding his Conservative Corps of Swiss wil bring fear to liberals and a painful death to the liberal agenda!

For the Pope and for the Church!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2012, 12:44:42 pm »

The forum is packed as Cardinal Cicero prepares to make a speech in which he will discuss many of the issues facing the new Roman Republic.

Friends, romans, countrymen, lend me your ears! You have been through much to topple the corrupt and unholy rule of those devils who posed as angels and for that I congratulate you!

A cheer rips through the audience, Cicero waves for silence.

You have started down the path to righteousness but it is a long and arduous path, fraught with peril at every turn. Garibaldi and Mondetat seek to lead you to your dooms, not only in this life but in the next!

A cheer emerges from the audience but it is not a powerful one. Many in the audience are staying silent and some even booing Cicero for talking poorly of their revolutionary leader. However Cicero continues without missing a beat.

I have heard that in Lazio there are some saying that the government should enact secularization. To this I say, have you no faith? The Italy of the future should be one of Good Chirstians, not a battleground of heathens and heretics and the government should support that. However I must stress that all peoples of all faiths should be tolerated and provided with all the rights garenteed by this Republic, we cannot force people down the right road, only show them where it lies.

I have also heard issues of the economy raised in Romanga. The economy is not a holy thing, it destroys bodies and corrupts souls. However, due to the liberal reforms of those devils who ruled the College of Cardinals in the time of our Holy Father's weakness, many now rely on the industry for their livelihood. I cannot in good faith take that away. However to allow your fates to lie in the hands of private citizens, greedy men who will feed off of your bodies and minds is unthinkable. It is the responsibility of the State to protect the Worker from all who may assault him and that is what I intend to do!

The crowd's hostilityis starting to fade and they begin to shout and cheer again.

Lastly I have heard another debate from Romanga. This one involves militarism. Now we get into the very heart of evil, the worst excess of the Holy See. We have sent man after man to die in foreign lands under alien stars and for what? We may have captured the Holy Land but it is filled with heathens who would overthrow us the moment we removed our soldiers from their damned soil. Good Christans have died for no reason other than to fill a few greedy men's coffers. And filled they are, war's are expensive affairs! If I am elected than I will remove all Good Christan soldiers from foreign soil. Let our heathen soldiers rule over our heathen subjects. And if they revolt give them their freedom, their soil is not worth a single Christan life! Our soldiers should be put to use defending their families and their homes and then on-

Cicero is now inaudible over the deafening din of the crowd. He retreats out of the forum, a wave of cheering and yelling sweeping him away.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2012, 03:34:50 pm »

I think "conservative" Senator Zrk2 is in order.

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!
I come to bury the Papacy, not to praise it.
The evil that htey did lives after them,
But their good is buried with their quaint traditions.
So let it be with the Pope! The noble revolutionaries have deemed it so.
It is a grievous fault,
And grievously have they paid for it.
Here, leave the revolutionaries,
For they are honourable men
They are all honourable men-
I came to speak of the death of the Papacy,
It was good to me,
But the revolutionaries say it was crimina
And they are honourable men.
Hath they not brought us man new colonies?
And filled our coffers?
Did this seem sinful?
Criminals should be made of sterner stuff.
Yet the revolutionaries say they are criminal
And they are honourable men
You all saw on Christmas
I thrice presented him a kingly crown
Which was thrice refused. Is this sin?
Yet the revolutionaries say the Pope was sinful
And they are honourable men
I speak not to disprove what they spoke
But I am here to say what I know
You all did once love the Pope, and not without cause
What cause withholds you then, to mourn for him?    
O judgment! thou art fled to brutish beasts,    
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me;
My heart is in the coffin there with the Pope,
And I must pause till it come back to me.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2012, 03:55:16 pm »

From the writings of Cardinal Diego Neo,
At long last, the reforms sweeping Europe have come to Rome and her people. I, for one, welcome this change. For too long, stagnation and corruption ruled the Papacy, transforming it from an instrument of the will of our Lord, to a merely temporal authority. With a new openness and transparency, His goodness and mercy shall again be paramount in our land. I hope that I shall play a part in the great works that are to come, but as always, that is for the Lord alone to decide. I have announced my candidacy for a senatorial position close to my original diocese. If He wills it, perhaps I shall continue to represent my former flock in this new republic. If not, my position as a cardinal shall permit me to act in the judiciary as a member of the Supreme Court, which is perhaps an even higher honor, and there remain good works to be done beyond that. While poverty and suffering exist upon this earth, our work in the church is not yet done.
- January 21st 1852
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2012, 03:11:47 am »

Conservative Corps of Swiss

*Start funnelling money to the CCS to sway public opinion towards Conservatism!*

*Set up a secret printing press for the CCS underground newspaper!*

*Forcefully recruit sleepers to the CCS cause!*

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Time to Pick a Pope! (Ch. V)
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2012, 06:12:21 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Conclave

The time has come and now we must elect a new Pope to guide the Catholic flock.

Papabile Cardinals are listed in the new poll atop the thread (but any baptized Catholic may be elected, so long as they are ordained after election).  Discussion and deliberation will be allowed after the first session of votes, but all votes must be cast in secret, and self-votes are forbidden on pain of excommunication!  The Conclave will take place in the Sistine Chapel, Electing Cardinals are not permitted to leave once they enter until a new Pope is elected; upon leaving the chapel, an elector forfeits his right to participate.

As the Camerlengo is in charge of these proceedings, the votes will be tallied and applied or reset after three days or whenever Cardinal Boksi decides it should be done, The Bishop of Rome will be chosen after collecting a 2/3 majority of the votes.  Choose wisely, in spirit and good conscience, as the Pope will reign for life, may it be long and in the palm of God!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Conclavis! (Ch. V)
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2012, 07:45:17 am »

Entry 3, Jerusalem

It has been a many a month since I have written in this journal, and alas it still lies very much empty, and unfortunately, I have little to write here personally. A disease has caused me temporary immobility as well as a waning of my mentality...until now, of course. In these past years, the State has changed immensely. The Church has been dethroned as the supreme government! A republic now stands...harkening to the old ages of Rome. Apparently elections for this republic are being held even as I speak, most amusingly, I am a candidate! While such power would be luxurious, I must decline of course; I have done little to improve my current demesne. Yes, my aides have done some improvement, but very little. So I have created a list of actions that must be done:

1. Schools and medical facilities must be established. Request aid from the orders.
2. Factories must be built to improve the economy and create jobs. One to five should be sufficient.
3. The local religions must be put to heel. I shall not order any conversions, lest I anger the people too much. Instead, I shall tolerate their heathen and heretic faiths, as advised. The Copts of the region are of interest to me; fellow Christians that heed a leader in Alexandria, even calling himself a Pope! Such heresy is...an annoyance. I shall have their local leader brought before me for dinner; just to learn of their grievances of course. The Muslim population shall be left to do what they have done for centuries unless they go against Roman law.
4. Finally, we must attract immigrants from Italy, if we are to survive here.

I have sent this list to the people in Rome, I pray that they allow these.

((No idea if any of the above can be done.))
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Conclavis! (Ch. V)
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2012, 12:02:06 pm »

I have a few questions for the candidates:

Who supports war?

Who supports Church over State?

Who supports free industry?

Answers to these will decide for whom I vote.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12