Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 569 570 [571] 572 573 ... 846

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1332454 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #8550 on: June 02, 2017, 12:17:54 pm »

Spoiler: Lich (click to show/hide)

Just painting randomly. Hair, spooky eyes, faces. Things I need practice on.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8551 on: June 03, 2017, 02:41:22 am »

X-post from my pixel art thread on Sufficient Velocity:

So my favorite pixel artist in the whole wide world, RhlPixels, did some videos on her pixel arting process. I liked what she did so much that I decided to try it out for myself.

Normally I just hop into Aseprite and open a canvas of the size that my end product is going to be, then I scribble using my mouse until I eventually end up with some line art. The thing is, at the typical kinds of resolutions you might work at in pixel art, it can be very challenging to draw shapes and curves that make sense, and this problem is compounded by drawing with a mouse.

What RhlP does, and what I did, was first sketch the thing out at 3x the target resolution. I think she uses a mouse, but I have a Wacom tablet so that's what I used along with Paint Tool Sai to make my initial sketch.

Then I just pop it into my favorite pixel program and scale 'er down, and wow I've got some pretty lookin' reference going there already!

I used the magic wand to get rid of most of the white. It's not perfect but that's okay, because then I'm gonna draw over it in a new layer.

And this is already looking super good, and in a WAY shorter time than if I was using my normal method. This is when the actual fun starts and I can start getting creative and really owning the piece.

Perf.

And I was actually planning to stop here but things are getting away from me, so here it is partially shaded.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This was my reference: http://i.imgur.com/WRr3WSt.jpg
I actually have no idea where it's from, but I'd love to know who the artist is because it's one of my favorite drawings ever.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 06:05:27 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #8552 on: June 03, 2017, 07:26:56 am »

Huh, that's a fancy technique, hadn't thought of that myself. Looks nice, but she kind of has derp eyes. :v

Spoiler: Lich (click to show/hide)

Just painting randomly. Hair, spooky eyes, faces. Things I need practice on.
I bet he'd look great with a cool hat. Hats have a magical ability to improve almost everything!

also speaking of hats

Spoiler: hatdragon (click to show/hide)

Messy little doodle but i haven't drawn enough hatted dragons. :v
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8553 on: June 03, 2017, 10:28:33 pm »

made my first batch of country flags for the project. all of the northern hemisphere. think im gonna rest for a bit before starting with the southern hemisphere.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8554 on: June 04, 2017, 01:00:35 am »

Are these all real-life flags? I recognize the last one as the flag of the Czech Republic, but none of the others. If they're meant to be fictional, the last one is not. ;) If they're all real, I'd be interested to know what countries they're from.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 01:02:45 am by Sappho »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8555 on: June 04, 2017, 08:58:55 am »

Well one of them looks like the flag of Ukraine with a purple gem in the middle and one of them seems to be a flag of Estonia with the colors shuffled around.
And yeah, a straight-up Czechian flag.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:06:59 am by Mes »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8556 on: June 04, 2017, 02:10:41 pm »

they're fictional. all of them have their design related to the geography of the land they have been created. the last two converged with Estonia and the Czech Republic but it wasnt intended, the one on the left is influenced on Nordic and Slav cultures, the one on the left is influenced on Dutch, British and Germanic culture.

the one with the ukraine looking layout is because the bands represent the desert and the sky.
the others are black forest, winter and the sea, the other is the sea, the frozen north and the warmth south.

i didnt want to use cruxes so i tried to do the best i could with the other geometries i had used before. thus the triangular pattern and three colored lines. also, finding colors that felt matched with the region limited what i could do.

i hope this helps to explain the whole issue. i didnt just searched country flags and changed the colors, each one has a meaning on their own, they just turned out similar to RL flags due to layout and color decisions.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8557 on: June 04, 2017, 06:05:29 pm »

Huh, that's a fancy technique, hadn't thought of that myself.

Looks nice, but she kind of has derp eyes. :v
It's purty durn fancy and I like it a lot so far. It's far, far easier to make line art this way IMO.

Thank you! But huh, I wasn't expecting anything about the eyes. I wonder if you could expand on that some more?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #8558 on: June 04, 2017, 08:12:18 pm »

It's purty durn fancy and I like it a lot so far. It's far, far easier to make line art this way IMO.

Thank you! But huh, I wasn't expecting anything about the eyes. I wonder if you could expand on that some more?
Oh yes, deffo. My tablet driver has shat itself right now and i can't be arsed to reboot, so i'll put it this way: If she had laser eyes, it doesn't seem like the beams would converge or run parallel. It's mostly her left (the farthest) eye, where the pupil/iris is "resting" at the edge of the lower eyelid, while her right eye is at the edge of the upper eyelid, which gives the impression that they're pointing in different directions. It's literally a one pixel difference (if you move her left iris upwards), but hey, that's how pixel art works. :v

I also noticed two further things upon closer scrutiny: Firstly, there's no hinted cheekbone below the aforementioned eye, which can be sorta rectified by just taking the rectangle selection tool, selecting the entire eye, and shifting it one pixel to the left (but probably also in other, less brutish ways). Secondly, that is a hella thick neck and stronk shoulders for a lady. :P

also i decided to refine hatdragon a little because why not

Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8559 on: June 06, 2017, 07:41:52 am »

I did this. A Cataclysm DDA survivor:

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8560 on: June 06, 2017, 09:15:02 am »

doawebcomic

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8561 on: June 06, 2017, 09:57:51 am »

doawebcomic

Heck, you could even do a series of unrelated scenes/sketches like Oglaf (nsfw example best example) usually does, and I would still follow you, vastaghen :P
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:59:58 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8562 on: June 06, 2017, 12:18:17 pm »

Where's your helmet and storage? 2/10 would not survive.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8563 on: June 06, 2017, 02:35:24 pm »

that is a hella thick neck and stronk shoulders for a lady. :P
She's gonna beat you up.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #8564 on: June 06, 2017, 03:55:09 pm »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 569 570 [571] 572 573 ... 846