Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 846

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1326771 times)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #6930 on: March 11, 2016, 03:01:12 pm »

A work in progress of a Time Travelling fellow. He'll be off to save the Universe if I ever get time to run the game I made around him!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If anyone has advice or criticisms of this, that would be super helpful!

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6931 on: March 11, 2016, 05:49:47 pm »

While the arm itself looks quite nice, its position relative to the body is a bit goofy. I'd recommend rotating it somewhat inward, if that makes sense. I'd lower the hat too... As is, it would fall off his head.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6932 on: March 11, 2016, 07:55:02 pm »

Mmm, delicious sprites. Would be cool to see a game featuring your spritework at some point, Platino. c:

You know, I know it's been over a month since you said that, but I'd just like to thank you. Before you said that, I really wanted to start learning C++ so I could get into game development. Unfortunately, I was too intimidated to start and procrastinated for months instead. However, your comment was the tipping point for me and a month later I've now learned a bit of C++ and SDL 2.0 from scratch.

In retrospect, I think the reason I've always made big projects like GemSet is because I wanted to develop games but never knew how to program. But now that I have a foothold on programming, I can get that out of my system and make art for my *own* games.

Anyways, keeping in line with the topic, here's a screenshot from my side-scrolling roguelike! It's going to have platforming and physics like Spelunky, but take place on a turn-based grid like Rogue. So far I have rendering, map loading/saving, basic jumping physics and derpy placeholder art. Next up is camera control and enemies!

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 07:59:00 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6933 on: March 11, 2016, 07:57:49 pm »

Mmm, delicious sprites. Would be cool to see a game featuring your spritework at some point, Platino. c:

You know, I know it's been over a month since you said that, but I'd just like to thank you. Before you said that, I really wanted to start learning C++ so I could get into game development. Unfortunately, I was too intimidated to start and procrastinated for months instead. However, your comment was the tipping point for me and a month later I've now learned a bit of C++ and SDL 2.0 from scratch.

In retrospect, I think the reason I've always made big projects like GemSet is because I wanted to develop games but never knew how to program. But now that I have a foothold on programming, I can get that out of my system and make art for my *own* games.

Anyways, keeping in line with the topic, here's a screenshot from my side-scrolling roguelike! It's going to have platforming and physics like Spelunky, but take place on a turn-based grid like Rogue. So far I have rendering, map loading/saving and some basic jumping physics. Next up is camera control and enemies!

This is a surprisingly pleasant art style, I have to say.
It's so...clean.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #6934 on: March 11, 2016, 08:33:48 pm »

@Platino: Aw shoot heck, you're most welcome! I'm just glad i could be that magical tipping point for someone else, because lord knows that i've needed a shit ton of those myself. That, and i can totally vouch for the coolness of making your own game(s); Angry Laser Space is basically styled after what i think would be most fun in a vertical scrolling shooter. :v
But anyhoo, that's already looking very neat! While i can't quite tell if the sprites are final, they do ooze of that characteristic clean goodness that i see so often from you, and I LIKE IT. Will have to keep an eye open for this. ;)

A work in progress of a Time Travelling fellow. He'll be off to save the Universe if I ever get time to run the game I made around him!
If anyone has advice or criticisms of this, that would be super helpful!
Nitpick time? Definitely nitpick time, this time it's actually asked for. ;o

Compared to the reference photo, his right eye needs to be more wide (like, dimensionally wide), his left eye is too close to the center line (basically, the distance between the two eyes is about one eye width, but the most important part is that they're evenly spaced from the center), the nose is bent too far down, and the mouth is possibly a little bit too wide (although this could just be stylization, note that in meatspace, a relatively neutral mouth will have corners that line up with the center of the eyeballs, so a smirk would be just a bit further out). His neck is a little on the thick side, but since it's a dude, you can get away with it.

Top hat is always a plus in my book, although as DoctorMcTaalik above me says, it should probably be either further down the head or fitted with a chin strap to keep it from gently sliding off his head. The goggles, while awesomely designed, look like they face DIRECTLY towards the camera, as opposed to the direction that the guy is facing. This is possibly because the goggles don't line up with the eyes (which, mind you, are supposed to look through the lenses :v), and the furthest side of it should be distorted a bit by perspective. Like, you'd definitely not be able to directly see the right side of them, and since the guy is seen a bit from above and the goggles are on his forehead, you wouldn't see much of their bottom either.

As for the hand, the thumb seems a bit off. It's kind of drawn in the same manner as the other fingers, but i think that much of that could be remedied by just drawing the line of the index finger further down (so as to mark the separation between index and thumb).

For what it's worth, here's a couple of maybe slightly relevant things i doodled while nitpicking like a crazy bird looking for corn and worms and stuff. CHEEKS STORNK.

edit: welp

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 09:25:46 pm by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6935 on: March 12, 2016, 12:57:26 am »

I've made more RedBubble art for the stuff you wear/use everyday :D

This time it's about something near and dear to my heart... Roleplaying games :)

http://www.redbubble.com/people/happyslapp/works/21186714-to-arms-8-bit-roleplayers-shirt

Hope you like it!

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6936 on: March 12, 2016, 02:34:43 am »

I also redid my knight sprite with advice from Shook, thanks again, man!

Probably still some weirdness with the cloak, but it does look even better than it did!

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6937 on: March 12, 2016, 03:19:40 am »

-ka slice-
-shing!-
:D Thanks for the critiques, yo! I didn't get much more done on it, because Krita decided that I wanted it all flattened into one layer (which I definitely did not want), but I think I at least got the hand/arm fixed up a bit.
As for the tophat, now that you've mentioned it, I decided it looks cool and I retconned a reason for it! Just like the guy wearing it, it's only barely possible, or maybe a little bit impossible, but it exists nevertheless. Thanks for pointing it out, though!

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #6938 on: March 12, 2016, 09:05:38 pm »

Heh, yer welcome. Hand's definitely a lot better now, although the thumb is kind of thin. I mean, even on a bony office hand like mine, the thumb is nearly twice as wide as the pinky. :v

I also redid my knight sprite with advice from Shook, thanks again, man!

Probably still some weirdness with the cloak, but it does look even better than it did!

Noice, definitely better if you ask me. The plume kind of bothers me though; it's still styled like a sausage, albeit a fuzzy one now. As it is though, plumes are more like big-ass feathers, with the fuzz following and pointing out from a central line. That's kind of tricky to do with pixels, but if you feel for it, that's a thing. A partial (and much easier) fix would be to take what you have here and make it narrow down into a much smaller stem near the helmet, so that it's kind of like a long, floppy and upside-down rain drop.

also hi guise i made the classic super basic bouncing ball animation thing

Yes i totally made that by drawing one circle and moving/scaling it, can't be arsed to draw a new ball for each frame. :v
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6939 on: March 13, 2016, 05:42:11 am »

Hmmm, something seems wrong about that animation, specifically the part where the ball is vertically stretched. I think the transition is too sudden and it stays fully stretched for too long. At least that's what it looks like to my untrained eyes.

Or maybe it's the bounce itself that's too short. Looks like you've got one squashed frame for the whole contact of the ball with the ground. I think that should be several frames, with increasing squish followed by increasing stretch before leaving the ground. Although that might look strange, too.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 05:44:03 am by Antsan »
Taste my Paci-Fist

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #6940 on: March 13, 2016, 08:53:23 am »

Well, it couldn't be be fully stretched any shorter than it is at this frame rate, but yeah, i kind of messed up on the frame before the "fully stretched" part. As for the bounce, real rubber balls bounce rather quickly on the ground (like, if you drop one to the floor, it'll reverse direction nearly instantly on impact), so i doubt that it would need more than one frame. I can totally buy that the squash/stretch isn't done right (it's both done as a motion blur substitute and an actual deformation for the impact), and i'm not sure if the wobble of the ball when it bounces back up should be there at all, but hey, i'm still fairly new to this. :v
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6941 on: March 13, 2016, 09:21:22 am »

XhAPPYSLApX: I remain impressed by your rate of improvement. I'm not normally much of a fan of pixel art, but I like the knight, and look forward to seeing where you are in a year.
One thing you might want to play around with in future drawings (it's fairly minor and you'd likely be better of making a new piece than re-doing the knight): The shadow is short, suggesting a pretty close light source. At that distance, I'd expect to see a significant difference in shading on the areas close to the light from those further away.

Shadowhammer: The goggle lenses look like they're slightly tilted towards each other.

Shook: I think it might look better if the squish at the bottom less even, with the fat part of the ellipse lower, instead of being a regular ellipse. I dislike the stretch as it's coming down being the same as the stretch coming up (It feels like the bottom squish has no permanence). There's not enough hang as it reaches the peak of the arc (Your gravity is weak and moon-like :( ).

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6942 on: March 13, 2016, 09:46:15 am »

Because I don't think it's been posted in here, but it's something we made...]

GUNINANRUNIN, adwarf and I made a podcast.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6943 on: March 13, 2016, 01:01:06 pm »

Well, today I was in a more western mood so have a cowboy...

and have a revolver

I think this new style is doing me quite well, what do you think?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
  • im french :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6944 on: March 13, 2016, 01:14:22 pm »

new horrible avatar INCOMING

@heydude6 thats neat , but his right arm is too straight
oh and,
pls dont use
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 01:21:19 pm by KillerHP »
A random person which does stuff and likes roguelikes and SS13...
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 846