Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 846

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1325373 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #3585 on: November 23, 2014, 02:19:43 pm »

I can really see the night creature's train of thought just before the crash... Very good!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: November 23, 2014, 02:37:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some fluffeh clouds because I'm feeling fluffeh today :D

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: November 23, 2014, 05:20:03 pm »

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: November 23, 2014, 05:37:57 pm »

This is amazing and my new background.
OHMYGOSHSOPRETTY. SAME RESOLUTION AS MY MONITOR EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Anyway, I doodled a lot last year in school, and I finally got around to copying over an old post I made and putting it here, where it belongs. :l
During my free time during school this year, I've been creating some doodles on any graph paper I can get my hands on. Over time, I have amassed a moderate collection of these, and today I finally got around to scanning some of them in. I have 17 of them currently scanned, and want to hear any comments or suggestions the rest of you have. I have named a few, usually related to the limitation/challenge I imposed upon myself. I am interested in any comments or suggestions/tips you guys have, so please share. Some are unfinished, as (especially at the start of the year) each doodle used to take around 2 to 3-ish hours to do, leading to me finishing one (or less) a day. The unfinished usually have enough to see what the end result would look like, however.

I usually start with a 'base', usually a near-regular octagon or a square, and build up off of them. The way I did this has changed throughout the year, and the doodles are in roughly reverse chronological order, with doodles #7 -16 being from the beginning of the year, and 1-6 from much more recently, being from the past couple weeks. If I have any commentary on any quirks or challenges on a specific doodle, it will be in the spoiler containing the doodle. #17 is rather special, as it was selected to be made into a quilt, using white and dark grey. It has a few other peculiarities, which will be explained later.

bases are listed as [shape](side length), followed by any extras it may have.

Sorry about the quality, as the shading can be hard to see and my scanner seems to only export to .jpg. :(

Newer Doodles

Older Doodles

Sorry for huge post.Please don't hate me.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: November 23, 2014, 09:05:14 pm »

I've finally got the bugs worked out of my text-placement algorithm. I believe I can handle arbitrary* widgets now. Also, I figured out how to make animations out of pygame's output, so here's the first 100 frames of a little test I did. It has lots of diagnostic color blotches in there, but you know.

*Provided they are rectangular, so not actually all that arbitrary. I'm pretty sure I could do an actual collision-detection thing with arbitrary shapes, but it would be hella slow and just generally not worth it for anything I've got planned.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: November 23, 2014, 09:31:31 pm »

Oh that is so sexy. I would love that feature in a game where there's a menu where windows and such can block text.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: November 23, 2014, 11:39:43 pm »

That's pretty awesome, Bauglir. Also, you get +1 for exquisite choice of example text. What project is that for?

---
Like the comic there, smirk. Cartoony and surreal. The frame representing when the game crashed is particularly creative.

Also, your lines are so much cleaner than when I was drawing comics like that.
Thanks! The secret is to draw absolutely everything with mechanical pencils, all the time, forever =P  I've got some more free time tomorrow, so creature bodies might be attempted. We shall see.

---
XXXXYYYY, that looks like a lot of time spent bored in math class =D  I particularly liked the ones that gave off an organic feel, like 4 and 11. If you feel like changing things around a bit, maybe try and find some hexagonal graph paper?

---

Some fluffeh clouds because I'm feeling fluffeh today :D
Nice! Background is now.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: November 23, 2014, 11:57:41 pm »

Like the comic there, smirk. Cartoony and surreal. The frame representing when the game crashed is particularly creative.

Also, your lines are so much cleaner than when I was drawing comics like that.
Thanks! The secret is to draw absolutely everything with mechanical pencils, all the time, forever =P
...That's a thing I've been doing for years now, heh. Mechanical pencil master race. Only reason I'd use wood pencils are for quicker shading.

If I had any of my pencil drawings I've done over the years I'd post 'em, but alas, I'm at college without my hoard of "cool shit I've drawn." Maybe when I get back home for a break I'll get around to sharing some stuff. I like drawing with pencil the most.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: November 24, 2014, 10:59:03 am »

That's pretty awesome, Bauglir. Also, you get +1 for exquisite choice of example text. What project is that for?
A game I'm making. Nothing should ever actually do that, but having things move around serves as a pretty decent stress-test for a wide variety of possible static positions. It also suggests that the algorithm is probably running fast enough to keep up with actual demand, since that's pictured at actual speed (or close enough that I can't tell the difference).

I did just realize I need to write the boilerplate code for interactivity, but hopefully that won't be too tricky since pygame is specifically designed to make that simple.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: November 24, 2014, 01:56:08 pm »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: November 24, 2014, 09:43:35 pm »

Is the second one supposed to be communist, or am I just seeing symbolism that isn't actually there? Either way, I like them.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: November 24, 2014, 11:21:38 pm »

So icons from a ISG game I planned. The idea was the character had had their heart replaced with that of a demon, giving them incredible fortitude and access to magic. The plan was a sorta roguelike thing. The character could take whatever damage (except to the heart) and they'd regenerate, no fuss. They could use magic, but it'd burn away their soul. Fortunately they can steal others souls to patch their own by eating the hearts of other people.

Health
Mana/Soul
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: November 25, 2014, 02:05:00 am »

Is the second one supposed to be communist, or am I just seeing symbolism that isn't actually there? Either way, I like them.

It was a communist skin for a character I submitted to a skin contest once (mind you, the game already has a Soviet character in it).
Which is probably why it didn't get any further... :S

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: November 26, 2014, 08:08:15 pm »

Don't you love it when you just make an animation that just looks... perfect? As in, it just represents the motion in the animation perfectly? No jankiness, no weird disappearing and reappearing limbs, it's exactly how it should look.

I mean, come on. Isn't that the best "kicking down a door while holding a pistol from the topdown" animation you have ever seen? Well, apart from any from the game Doorkickers. That's cheating, because the entire game is about kicking doors. Or apart from any of the animations of opening doors in Hotline Miami. Or Gunpoint (Though that's sidescrolling), or..
Criticism is welcome even if it seems perfect to me right now, is what I'm saying.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: November 26, 2014, 08:16:55 pm »

Pretty good. Can't help but feel it looks like the head's extending and retracting, though, rather than bobbing back and forth.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 846