Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 846

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1328311 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #8310 on: March 09, 2017, 08:17:12 pm »

Well if you're trying to go for a mobile suit esque style and are having trouble with the joints, I can help with that.

A detail in most eastern real robot style designs of the humanoid type that can be hard to notice unless you've put a kit together or messed around with a figure or model up close is that they actually use a double jointed knee and elbow design to achieve a wider and more human range of motion without having to worry about armor around the joint colliding with each other. It can be tricky to notice just from visuals a lot of the time because at most only one of the hinges will actually have a visible cap, and if the joint's guard is built into the lower limb armor or deemphasized, then the structure will only really stick out if the limb is completely folded so that it protrudes outwards from between the two halves.

Also I notice that you've got the upper and lower arm out of alignment with each other, which is fine if that's a design element you were going for, but if I remember correctly, generally rotation of the arm pieces only occurs at the wrist and at the point where the shoulder and upper arm connect to each-other, since that's enough to pretty much match the full range of motion available to the human body.

Spoiler: Diagram (click to show/hide)

This was originally suppose to just be a quick doodle of the elbow design but I got really excited to have a chance to finally talk about this stuff with someone and it kinda exploded from there. ._.

EDIT: What model were you using as reference by the way? I've got some guesses and I'm curious now if they're correct.

EDIT EDIT: Realized that I might have jumped the gun a bit too much there. Sorry if I came off as acting like a know-it-all or made too many assumptions. Got really excited like I said earlier  :-[
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 02:22:33 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8311 on: March 10, 2017, 12:27:40 pm »

Oh wow, I never noticed that actually, which, thinking about it now, makes quite a bit of sense. I'll really have to assemble one in study to figure out all the little bits and how they figure into things. Thanks for pointing that out. And no worries on getting excited, I'm a yuuge fan of mecha myself and it's always nice to have someone to geek out with :D

Anyways, this was the ref model: http://orig09.deviantart.net/91ac/f/2017/069/0/7/refone_by_djoze32-db1texy.jpg

I figured the lower arm would have some limited rotation after the elbow joint so the hand itself doesn't have to rotate as much in order to achieve a higher degree of freedom, like a human would, tho this was pure conjecture on my part.

Also, unrelated, but you might enjoy this album (and the page in general since they constantly post mecha related stuff: https://www.facebook.com/pg/ChocofalconPlayground/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1238168632956696

Some of the head cut-aways are freaking amazing in the amount of detail they have :D

Edit:
Todays went way way better (mostly because I went with being faithful with the reference instead of trying to do my own pose/perspective based on the original)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:13:30 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #8312 on: March 11, 2017, 09:18:15 pm »

Well now, that is quite something! The working title in particular is fantastic. :v
If i were to offer a tiny bit of criticism (Shook doing that to Jopax? WHY I NEVER), it'd be that almost all of your (cross)hatching has the lines going in the same direction(s), as opposed to following the surfaces. I suspect that you just felt a bit lazy though, and i can totally relate to that. :U

also here have triceratopslady with bettered lines

... Well, clearer lines, i'm sure i fucked up a large number of them (in particular the eye, i feel like it's misplaced).

In any case, more details on the character: Her name is Trika Radne (CHEESETASTIC, also pronounced as "treeka radney"), she's a highly competent and intelligent military general, and she's not really a nice person. Cold, humorless and dismissive are three words that describe her very well, and she's generally not interested in making friends, although she isn't actively malicious. Keen eyes will notice that her right hand looks quite different from her left one, which is because it's actually an enchanted steel plate arm made to replace an amputated one, and her lower left leg is the same story (but you can't see that in this drawing hardihar). It's incredibly well made both physically and magically, and in terms of handling, the only major difference between it and her original arm is a very limited sense of touch, brought on by the fact that IT'S MADE OF STEEL (however the enchantment does give her a modicum of sensation in the arm).
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8313 on: March 11, 2017, 10:58:34 pm »

I thought she was a biker. Or cosplaying Leon S. Kennedy.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8314 on: March 12, 2017, 04:21:10 am »

Heh, it wasn't so much lazy as it was done on autopilot of sorts where I was happily scratching lines away while my mind wandered about the place. I'll make sure to keep it in mind for future ones tho :D

In the meantime have yesterday:
Isn't as nice I think, mostly because it's a closeup and with such small scale it kinda feels distorted (that or I'm still bad at observing and properly translating that into drawings.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8315 on: March 14, 2017, 04:40:05 am »

Whatever this is.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8316 on: March 14, 2017, 10:21:01 am »

Whatever this is.

If it wasn't for the rabbit, I'd say it's a Starbound concert.

I've been meaning to ask, what renderer did you use for the lanterns you posted a while back? They look really good!
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #8317 on: March 14, 2017, 01:05:50 pm »

I don't know what's happening there but it looks pretty good.

Spoiler: Glorious Vikking (click to show/hide)

WIP as usual. Practicing poses and whatnot.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8318 on: March 14, 2017, 02:31:05 pm »

I've been meaning to ask, what renderer did you use for the lanterns you posted a while back? They look really good!

I use Maya, and upload to a program called Sketchfab

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8319 on: March 15, 2017, 11:03:22 am »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8320 on: March 15, 2017, 05:55:46 pm »

Yes, yes I do need a pointman. Now run out into the field so we can spot where the tracer is coming from in the treeline, Private.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8321 on: March 15, 2017, 08:23:14 pm »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8322 on: March 15, 2017, 08:46:05 pm »

i finally made the last evolution in my furry bug line

also got back onto vertebrate monsters, i have some ideas going around, these are the first. ground aligned birds:

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8323 on: March 16, 2017, 10:29:29 am »

I drew the Kensei from the for honor videogame

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8324 on: March 16, 2017, 12:32:42 pm »

I like the detail. Careful with your circles though.

Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 846