Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 846

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1325214 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #6585 on: February 02, 2016, 05:16:37 pm »

tried to hit again onto the sprites for the tiles of the sidescroller game, it may look a little bit better than the first ones. still, im not really convinced yet with its design. this is the base dirt tile, i also have to make the non grass version and the corner version.
I'd recommend displaying them here at the size you'd see them in the game - because ultimately, that's how we're going to see them in the end.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: February 02, 2016, 05:58:52 pm »

the final image is set to have a size of 32x32 it would be too smol to put it here. i think, i dont really know how large are the tiles used in those games so its more like trial and error.

like this:

now that i look at it, it doesnt look so bad on that size. the issue i see is that it may get a bit repetitive and also there's the issue with the grass, there may be different tones depending on the Biome so i dont know how to do that (yet). and also the plants, which i think are separated sprites or something like that.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 06:15:04 pm by xaritscin »

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #6587 on: February 02, 2016, 06:51:02 pm »

It seems to tile pretty neatly, and honestly, it's hardly possible to have a single tiling sprite without it being repetitive, so don't worry TOO much about that (either that, or go full ham with an intentionally repeating pattern). However, three of the dark spots form a diagonal line, and... Well, it's going to be noticed by players. :v
It could possibly be fixed by either moving or recolouring one of the three spots that form the line, though my guess is that changing the center one would be most effective. I hope you don't mind me doing this, but EXAMPLE:

this is still xaritscin's work

Of course, because the human mind is an asshole, that just makes the other three dark spots stand out as a triangle, but at least you can justify that with the fact that any three spots on a plane can form a triangle. :v (varying their sizes might also help)

Much better! You have good construction Shookoh.
Ey thanks bro! Have to admit though, these sketches are actually rather lazy, because i omitted more than half of the circles that i'd normally make for full-body things. This would also be why polearmdino has terrible feet. :v
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:56:28 pm by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: February 02, 2016, 08:00:21 pm »

yeah it seems you cant escape from making a repeating pattern, that is, unless you make an algorithm for it (goddamn procedural generation e.e)

the most i could do is to see how do the different dirt tiles relate to each other. and how the spots will look on rotated objects (upside down, mirrored, bla bla bla).

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #6589 on: February 02, 2016, 08:51:43 pm »

Oh man, i totally used to be like "rar i want to draw the outline directly with no construction", but then i realized how much of an incredibly cheap shortcut circles actually are, because they cut down the number of redraws by A LOT (and thus the amount of energy spent as well, even with the circle drawing factored in). Me being the lazy fuck that i am, i couldn't resist that notion. :v
If you want, i could try helping you get going with it. If not, well, i'll just keep doing what i normally do. :P

yeah it seems you cant escape from making a repeating pattern, that is, unless you make an algorithm for it (goddamn procedural generation e.e)

the most i could do is to see how do the different dirt tiles relate to each other. and how the spots will look on rotated objects (upside down, mirrored, bla bla bla).
Another possible thing to do is to have a few different tiles to (randomly) select from, at least with relatively simple graphics like that. I've found that 3 is generally a good magic number to avoid alternating repetition. Also, you'll quite possibly find patterns even on prodecurally generated seamless tiles. Trust me, i tried with Filter Forge, and i could still see repeating patterns on 50x50 tiles. :v

meanwhile here's a digifloof

Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: February 02, 2016, 09:23:41 pm »

Gesture drawing taught me a great deal... getting the basic gist of a human figure down in 30 seconds makes you figure out what details are important, real quick.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: February 02, 2016, 10:39:05 pm »

One of the sites I visit for learning exercises posted a pretty awesome article. I thought it was worth sharing:

Drawabox - Constructional drawing
Drawabox is very good. I also recommend Sycra's videos on YouTube. He gives a very interesting intellectual perspective on drawing and breaks down a lot of concepts.
My bookmarks folder has increased in size!

meanwhile here's a digifloof

Dude. That shading. So awesome. :D

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: February 02, 2016, 11:13:00 pm »

This is adorable. I want to make it my pillow!
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6593 on: February 03, 2016, 12:53:51 am »

Idea for a lizard footman:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I saw pictures of Roman legionnaire roleplayers with bindlesticks and I liked that. I also gave him a weird floppy hat. I don't want him to have a chinstrap but it looks like that's the only way a hat would stay on there, given the shape of the head, so maybe no hats.

I saw a photo of a snake being filmed in IR, and it was the same temperature as the ground (invisible), due to it being cold-blooded. Now I kind of want to draw lizardmangs with assault rifles hiding from a gunship or summat.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: February 03, 2016, 01:34:35 am »

Spoiler: City on a Hill (click to show/hide)

Ooh, 3d!

Yep! It's like 2d, but you get to shunt off a bunch of work to your computer.

This actually reminds me of Grow Home a lot, and that is absolutely not a bad thing. I kind of wish that game had a city like this to climb around on. :v

also i added more stuff to the last sketchy page i posted so

Spoiler: SKETCHESSSSS (click to show/hide)

Tried a different head design for the dragon than what i usually do, which i think is somewhat inspired by either Disney or Pixar. I'm not quite sure. :P (also obligatory floof)

I vaguely remember that game. That is, I remember that it is a game. I don't remember much beyond that.

I dig the sketches as much as that lizard dude is not-digging the floof, BTW.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: February 03, 2016, 01:03:35 pm »

these are the current designs for the tiles. 3 types for dirt, havent thought of the destruction effect (havent looked at a good way to make it look cracked with vectors). the particles seem small enough and different in each block to eliminate most patterns. tried to see what i could do with the pieces i have made already.

EDIT: also made a connector block. well, its the same as the non grassy one but with a small patch of grass in a corner so it can blend with the others when making connections
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 01:28:24 pm by xaritscin »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: February 03, 2016, 04:10:05 pm »

Gave another shot at spheres 'n' shadows. Most of the page is blank coz I'm gonna fill it later, but does anyone mind taking a look at my shadow placement? I tried checking it with a flashlight and industrial ball bearing, hopefully this one is a little closer to accurate.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: February 03, 2016, 05:07:19 pm »

I'd move the shadow a bit up and to the right. Mostly because the reflected light indicates that the light source isn't that far to the right. Also consider softening the shadow edges as it goes further from the source of the shadow. Not by much in this instance but it tends to help make it feel more realistic.

Also also, keep in mind, warm lights give cool shadows and vice versa, tho in this case it seems to be a white light so it'll probably be less noticeable and more dependant on the suface the shadow is cast on, but in any case, i'd reckon it could be a bit less saturated.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: February 03, 2016, 07:58:43 pm »

... I hadn't even considered the color of the shadow. I didn't know about warm light/cool shadow either, but my color theory reference is kind of a doorstopper, so it's taking some time to read through. I'll try another pass on it, thank you.

Self-teaching art is turning into quite an adventure.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: February 03, 2016, 08:19:40 pm »

Honestly, the best way to understand colour is to understand light and materials. Because it's what determines what the colour of something is. Once you learn how the rules work painting anything becomes trivial. Then you go and learn colour theory with regards to complimentaries, contrasts, relativity, compositions and all that so you can arrange stuff so it looks nice and proper with pretty much any palette you can.

I'm still struggling with this myself and it's a long and arduous process, but one well worth the trouble.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 846