Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 890282 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #10335 on: January 19, 2017, 01:20:32 pm »

f.lux is great. It just takes some time to get used to, that's all. Nowadays my screen being brown hardly even registers anymore.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #10336 on: January 19, 2017, 01:47:06 pm »

I can detect that my scren is sepia-tinged if I look for it, but I have f.lux set to transition so slowly I can only notice it if I'm really trying to. I'm just concerned that it won't help in the middle of the day, since I start at 7 (hours after sunrise, although it's dim because the window by my desk is set into a courtyard) and knock off at 3 (hours before sunset). :P

I'm half-tempted to take my sunglasses to work with me tomorrow, but I might get a reputation...

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10337 on: January 19, 2017, 02:06:45 pm »

Are there any mystics initiated in mysteries of gml here?  :P

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10338 on: January 19, 2017, 02:37:15 pm »

It's been a year but sure, what's up?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10339 on: January 21, 2017, 01:42:31 pm »

Does overall big ammount of objects in game database have negative effects?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10340 on: January 21, 2017, 01:44:12 pm »

Do you mean resources in your project? Should only mean a bigger file size (and possibly initial load time) for the final game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10341 on: January 24, 2017, 06:48:06 pm »

The problem with hungarian notation is that you end up with variable names like this one: sExact

No, I did not make this one up, it's from actual code...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10342 on: February 06, 2017, 08:10:13 am »

This tutorial is driving me nuts. So I'm doing this in Qt on Windows using MinGW, supposedly it works according to the site. I ran all the steps to set everything up, had some trouble with the Assimp library due to some wierd bug but fixed it. Everything compiles. First tutorial works just fine.

The second though... it crashes on startup. Tutorial says it's due to I'm running it from the wrong folder, but there is no other folder! So I play around with the code to see where in the program it crashes. The problem, I think, is with the vertex array object:

Code: (this snippet crashes) [Select]
GLuint VertexArrayID;
glGenVertexArrays(1, &VertexArrayID);
glBindVertexArray(VertexArrayID);

// Create and compile our GLSL program from the shaders
GLuint programID = LoadShaders( "SimpleVertexShader.vertexshader", "SimpleFragmentShader.fragmentshader" );

Code: (this does not, but only outside of Qt) [Select]
GLuint VertexArrayID;
glGenVertexArrays(1, &VertexArrayID);
glBindVertexArray(VertexArrayID);

std::cout << "Test";

// Create and compile our GLSL program from the shaders
GLuint programID = LoadShaders( "SimpleVertexShader.vertexshader", "SimpleFragmentShader.fragmentshader" );

What is this black voodoo magic?!
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10343 on: February 06, 2017, 08:22:48 am »

According to the tutorial, the vertex buffer code should be after window creation but before any other OpenGL code. Have you tried running it just up to before where you have cout?

Also you can try different print/feedback/error code:
- printf
- assert
- try/catch

From the docs for glBindVertexArray, you can see that it generates an error GL_INVALID_OPERATION, so you can test OpenGL for that error as well with an assert or if statement right after the call.
https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/OpenGL_Error

Try putting a print statement at the start of "LoadShaders". It's not bad idea to have the program log all the steps it's taking anyway, so you might even fudge it by leaving that cout in there, but with a "Loading Shaders" message.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 08:42:17 am by Reelya »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10344 on: February 08, 2017, 08:34:24 am »

Does anyone feel like debugging my unity project?

I am using Unity on the 2d settings, and I can't figure out why the circle collider is loosing momentum when it hits a wall.
But only at certain angles.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kpcf09v6003eix/Pong.zip?dl=0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10345 on: February 08, 2017, 08:39:57 am »

Do you mean the rigidbody? Colliders don't do physics they just test for collisions.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10346 on: February 08, 2017, 05:59:28 pm »

Was trying to log into my Gmail from a Python interpreter using IMAP. Gmail kept telling me "Nuh-uh, log in from gmail.com" even though I have IMAP enabled and even briefly turned on a feature allowing "less secure apps" to access my mailbox. No dice.

I wanted to write a script/service that would echo emails from my student email to my personal account on some set interval, because I've never used an email client and don't intend to start now.

EDIT: Tried it again and it magically worked. No idea what I did differently, but I'll hardly be able to give this to other students like I was planning. Pain in the butt to set up.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 06:10:13 pm by itisnotlogical »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10347 on: February 09, 2017, 06:21:13 pm »

Hee hee, I'm working on a secret project at work. 

We have a massive amount of ancient Oracle Reports that we use for QC, but at some point in the future I know we have replace them with something else because it's a pain in the ass to build the reports, its missing a lot of features that I'd like to have(and that will be required the next time CAP inspects our lab), and newer computers are having more and more troubles running them.

So I've been building a ruby library that takes a relatively simple input definition file, and then:
1)  Performs all the necessary database queries.
2)  Builds consistent looking reports in SVG (which will come complete with charts and tables and will allow customization).
3)  Shoves the SVG into inkscape to convert it into a PDF.

Once its all set up I'll be able to do a rapid conversion of all our old reports, and I'll be able to teach other people to make QC reports, rather than being the only person who can figure out the oracle reports builder.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #10348 on: February 10, 2017, 12:58:22 am »

Once its all set up I'll be able to do a rapid conversion of all our old reports, and I'll be able to teach other people to make QC reports, rather than being the only person who can figure out the oracle reports builder.
You are doing God's work.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10349 on: February 10, 2017, 11:29:57 am »

I have created a small dwarf-fortress related text adventure in pseudo-scratch!
https://studio.code.org/projects/applab/TOD5Jygiz5cXXbjrljwDjg

Actually designing the stuff without code.org is probably a lot harder.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 796