Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 890515 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #10035 on: September 13, 2016, 11:55:18 pm »

Here's the steps somebody else posted up on superuser for the same problem that they run into:
1) removed the projects from <workspace>\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.resources\projects\ As suggested above
2) Try to open each project, clicking "ok" to all th errors Now it seams it is gone, but if I try to import a new project with same name Eclipse claims they are still there.
3) in the project explorer press 'F5' to refresh. N ow eclipse realises the project is gone, and asks if it should remove the project from workspace, after accepting the project is now gone.

Apparently Eclipse has lots of stupid metadata they hold onto, so you need to delete projects through eclipse directly if you actually want to delete all of that extra floaty data.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10036 on: September 14, 2016, 01:41:03 am »

I don't get why Eclipse never improved, since it's the most used IDE. I hated it ten years ago when I started my career, I hate it today that I'm locked into it by a vendor.

I can't work ten minutes on a git/maven project without the error notification coming up asking to send a report. Updating with the self updater has never worked once in my life.

Srsly it can't die fast enough.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10037 on: September 14, 2016, 03:13:29 am »

Is the Mingw32 community defunct?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10038 on: September 14, 2016, 07:38:58 am »

I don't get why Eclipse never improved, since it's the most used IDE. I hated it ten years ago when I started my career, I hate it today that I'm locked into it by a vendor.

I can't work ten minutes on a git/maven project without the error notification coming up asking to send a report. Updating with the self updater has never worked once in my life.

....Netbeans?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10039 on: September 14, 2016, 07:44:49 am »

....Netbeans?

I used to use that. Now I'm tied on this pseudo osgi broken eclipse runtime platform with custom layering and shit, which only has plugins for eclipse :(

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10040 on: September 14, 2016, 08:20:20 am »

....Netbeans?

I used to use that. Now I'm tied on this pseudo osgi broken eclipse runtime platform with custom layering and shit, which only has plugins for eclipse :(
*blinks*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10041 on: September 14, 2016, 06:58:19 pm »

Anyone know stuff about the IDE Geany? Specifically why a project (.geany file) would fail to open (C#) source files via relative path?

The rest of my class can get the professor's sample project to open on the pre-configured Ubuntu, but I can't get it to work on my Lubuntu virtual machine at home.

It's inconvenient not being able to make my projects portable. What am I missing?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:00:29 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10042 on: September 14, 2016, 08:32:41 pm »

I've only ever used Geany to edit single source files, so I don't know a whole log about its project management abilities, but I'd guess that there has to be something wrong with the directories, permissions or current working directory.

Can you launch Geany through a terminal window?  Does it behave differently if you launch it from there after changing to your project directory?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10043 on: September 15, 2016, 04:41:29 pm »

I've only ever used Geany to edit single source files, so I don't know a whole log about its project management abilities, but I'd guess that there has to be something wrong with the directories, permissions or current working directory.

Can you launch Geany through a terminal window?  Does it behave differently if you launch it from there after changing to your project directory?
It works! The terminal gives these errors:
Code: [Select]
(geany:2184): Geany-CRITICAL **: utils_tidy_path: assertion 'g_path_is_absolute(filename)' failed

(geany:2184): Geany-CRITICAL **: utils_tidy_path: assertion 'g_path_is_absolute(filename)' failed

Looks like a good thing, though, since they're not absolute.

Now I just need to figure out how to make it work with right-clicking on the file. Something to do with passing parameters, maybe?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10044 on: September 15, 2016, 05:44:09 pm »

It works! The terminal gives these errors:

Looks like a good thing, though, since they're not absolute.

Now I just need to figure out how to make it work with right-clicking on the file. Something to do with passing parameters, maybe?

Looking at the source, it would appear that Geany doesn't like relative paths.

Do you have the same version?

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10045 on: September 16, 2016, 09:27:32 pm »

I was feeling particularly motivated today so I chose to continue programming my Entity Component System. Not too familiar with pointers and the like, I spent a few hours adding functionality like building entities from .json data and adding parts (a.k.a. components) to them. At the end of the day, I ran a quick test and retrieved the width of an entity's hitbox, stored in their PosPart:

PosPart* testpart = (PosPart*)entities[0]->getPart(PART_POS);
std::cout << testpart->hitbox.w << std::endl;

Ewww...I think that's easily the worst line of code I've ever written. I guess tomorrow will be a day of cleaning up and making things less...verbose...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10046 on: September 17, 2016, 01:13:20 am »

I wrote a generic JSON parser in C++ once that was at least as bad.  It converted objects to std::maps if I recall and arrays to std::vector.  Because of C++'s type system, in order to put arbitrary JSON values into the vectors, I had to make a JsonData type that all other types inherited from (JsonObject, JsonArray, JsonString and JsonNumber if I recall).

That made actually using the parsed values a massive pain in the butt due to the type casting.  I think I even ended up using macros to help cut down on the amount of code...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10047 on: September 17, 2016, 01:26:44 am »

I think the big json libraries for C++ do do that -- there's a JSON Type with functions like .toInt() .toString() .toFloat() and so on.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10048 on: September 17, 2016, 01:54:30 am »

Don't you generally just have the json parser deal with a pre-made class? Or is that not feasable in C++?

* Japa is spoiled by C#

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10049 on: September 17, 2016, 02:17:50 am »

There's some library that parses JSON. I just don't remember which.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 796