Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 890588 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #9960 on: September 07, 2016, 09:21:23 pm »

@DragonDePlatino:

So:How to write a recursive Fibonacci number calculator.

Code: [Select]
//Declared outside the method because it'd be silly to recreate it every call
int tmp = 0;
public static int fibRecurse(int old, int new, int depth){
    if(depth == 0){System.out.println(old+new);
    else{
        System.out.println(old+new);
        tmp=old+new;
        old=new;
        new=tmp;
        depth--;
        fibRecurse(old, new, depth);
    }
}
Which is not actually complicated.

You call it from main, with 1, 1, and your preferred number of numbers.  It's really a glorified for loop like this.

That is legitimately terrible if a textbook is telling you to "not think about it" when trying to implement something. God forbid they ever try to explain the Tower of Hanoi recursive solution.
And yeah, the textbook should never not explain something at all if they want you to do it.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9961 on: September 08, 2016, 01:27:47 am »

Recursive functions are a structure, same as a for or while loop.  Think of them as a graph where each function call is a point with lines from parent to child.  So if each call can call four more functions, its like a tree graph.  If each call can only call itself once, its like a line.  Or at least that's how I like to think of it.

I dunno, they're not that scary once you grasp the concept, and its very stupid that your textbook explained them that way.  Its like a loop with more control, flexibility, and exciting opportunities to instantly call the same function an infinite number of times by accident.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9962 on: September 08, 2016, 01:36:41 am »

My first experience with recursion is when I was first learning C# and didn't realize that get/set methods would call themselves infinitely if you didn't have a private variable they could change without calling get/set again.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #9963 on: September 08, 2016, 02:12:35 am »

That is legitimately terrible if a textbook is telling you to "not think about it" when trying to implement something. God forbid they ever try to explain the Tower of Hanoi recursive solution.

Yeah I have to work with a guy that grew up on that  bullshit, watching him work is super painful. He never stops to collect the dots and think up a solution, instead copies code pattern from everywhere, hammers them into place and keep adding/replacing random snippets until something works

It's like watching a bad pathfinder doing an exhaustive search.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9964 on: September 08, 2016, 02:38:09 am »

How do you accomplish anything like that? Is it really possible to finish something by just looking up and using other people's code like that?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #9965 on: September 08, 2016, 02:44:11 am »

yes, it's possible to get some very specific output out of a system, but there are many, many downsides. often the result is three pieces of code badly intermingled, and nobody knows how or why it works.

imagine calling in a library random until the output you want is there - at which point which call did what you wanted? most of the resulting code only covers success cases, of course, any unforeseen, different or badly timed input can crash the code anytime.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9966 on: September 08, 2016, 03:11:16 am »

[…]
I hate recursion.
Hate the textbook instead. The recursive definition for the fibonacci function is really straightforward: The first two fibonacci numbers are defined as 1 and 1 (or "1 and 2" or "0 and 1", depending on who you ask), every following fibonacci number is defined as the sum of the previous two.
So there are three cases for any given fibonacci number (I don't know Java syntax, so have some pseudo code instead):
fibonacci ( n ) =
  if n = 0
  else if n = 1
  else
In the first two cases (which are the first two fibonacci numbers) we can just return the known fibonacci number:
fibonacci ( n ) =
  if n = 0
  else if n = 1
  else
And in the last case, we just compute the previous two fibonacci numbers and add them together, since that is exactly how fibonacci numbers are defined:
fibonacci ( n ) =
  if n = 0
  else if n = 1
  else
     fibonacci(n-1)+fibonacci(n-2)
And that's it. There's no black magic, it's not hard to think about, just translating the definition of fibonacci numbers into whatever programming language you are using.
If your textbook tells you "don't think about it!", it's not because the problem is hard, but probably rather because the people writing the book didn't put in the effort of explaining recursion.

Of course the given definition can be simplified (by combining the first two branches) and made more robust (by checking only n<=1), but that's got nothing to do with recursion, so I left it out.
Taste my Paci-Fist

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9967 on: September 08, 2016, 05:19:45 am »

Yeah I have to work with a guy that grew up on that  bullshit, watching him work is super painful. He never stops to collect the dots and think up a solution, instead copies code pattern from everywhere, hammers them into place and keep adding/replacing random snippets until something works

It's like watching a bad pathfinder doing an exhaustive search.

I have come across some programmers like that. If their program doesn't work, they move bits of code around or add/remove lines for no real purpose until the result looks "closer" to being correct, they don't seem interested in understanding how their program is currently functioning, and they don't even seem to fully understand the problem they are trying to solve.

It's very frustrating.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9968 on: September 08, 2016, 11:39:36 am »

@DragonDePlatino:

So:How to write a recursive Fibonacci number calculator.

//Declared outside the method because it'd be silly to recreate it every call
int tmp = 0;
public static int fibRecurse(int old, int new, int depth){
    if(depth == 0){System.out.println(old+new);
    else{
        System.out.println(old+new);
        tmp=old+new;
        old=new;
        new=tmp;
        depth--;
        fibRecurse(old, new, depth);
    }
}
Which is not actually complicated.

You call it from main, with 1, 1, and your preferred number of numbers.  It's really a glorified for loop like this.
That's the more efficient, O(N) implementation. Generally, for Your First Recursive Function(TM), you're supposed to write something like

int fib(int n)
{
    if(n == 0)
    {
        return 0;
    }
    if(n == 1)
    {
        return 1;
    }
    return fib(n - 1) + fib(n - 2);
}
but obviously that is O(N^2) which is pretty bad.

Then again, considering how quickly the Fibonacci sequence exceeds INT_MAX, it's usually pretty reasonable to use an O(1) implementation, that being an array with the values.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9969 on: September 08, 2016, 12:03:14 pm »

Your First Recursive Function(TM)

One upside to this version is that it's also trivially memoizable. My university didn't cover memoization (don't ask me why, I implemented it on my own). I think it would have been valuable, however, to have these two topics back-to-back.

1) How many times do you calculate fib(2) while you're looking for fib(100)? (tip: the number of calls can't be represented by an unsigned 64 bit integer)
2) Hmm... All but one call will go away if we keep that value around somewhere.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9970 on: September 08, 2016, 02:03:46 pm »

@miauw:I never would have thought someone would write that other example, good grief.  :v
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9971 on: September 08, 2016, 06:09:41 pm »

I'm pretty sure that, if you follow the whole tree, you'll find that it's equal to the fibonacci function in terms of runtime; in other words, its asymptotic growth is closer to O(φ^n).

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9972 on: September 08, 2016, 06:51:03 pm »

Here's the obligatory O(log(n)) implementation:

Code: (Lua) [Select]
function fib(n)
local f, g = 1, 0
local a, b = 0, 1
while n > 0 do
if n % 2 == 1 then
f, g = a*f+b*g, a*g+b*f+b*g
n = n - 1
end
a, b = a*a+b*b, 2*a*b+b*b
n = n/2
end
return g
end

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9973 on: September 08, 2016, 08:14:57 pm »

function fib(n)
    local root=math.sqrt(5)
    local phi=(1+root)/2
    local invphi=phi-1
    return (phi^n-(-invphi)^n)/root
end

tbh i'm not sure what the actual complexity of that is... it could be said it's O(1), but that relies on division and exponentiation being O(1)

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9974 on: September 08, 2016, 08:19:20 pm »

God forbid they ever try to explain the Tower of Hanoi recursive solution.

Oh no... No... NOOOOOOOOO!

Recursive functions are a structure, same as a for or while loop.  Think-

And stop right there! I think that's exactly what I was looking for. Recursive functions aren't these massively intimidating things, they're just another kind of loop. You have a base case, the self-call and a return. That's a huge oversimplification but it's a good way for me to understand it. Thanks.

And that's it. There's no black magic, it's not hard to think about, just translating the definition of fibonacci numbers into whatever programming language you are using.

Yup! That's the solution we arrived at almost line-for-line. Thanks for the step-by-step clarification.

Oh yes, and good news everyone! Today we had a timed online quiz and guess what showed up? Recursiooooon! Our task was to find the max in an ArrayList of floats without static variables or loops. Trivially simple for someone with minimal programming experience, but a bit difficult for me. Thankfully, the help from this thread helped me organize my thoughts. Everything smoothly compiled without any syntax errors or stack overflows.

import java.util.*;

class Main {
static Float maxElem(ArrayList<Float> elems)
{
if (elems.size() == 1)
return elems.get(0);
else if (elems.get(0) > elems.get(elems.size() - 1))
elems.remove(elems.size() - 1);
else
elems.remove(0);

return maxElem(elems);
}
public static void main(String[] args)
{
ArrayList<Float> floats = new ArrayList<Float>();
Random rand = new Random();

for (int i = 0; i < 10; ++i)
floats.add(rand.nextFloat() * (100 - 1) + 1);

System.out.print("Input numbers:\n" + floats + "\nMaximum: " + maxElem(floats));
  }
}

I'm still learning to crawl when it comes to programming, but I'm really proud of how much better I did this time.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:25:20 pm by DragonDePlatino »
Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 796