Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 888030 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #9780 on: June 23, 2016, 06:05:17 am »

And here the current thingy is - now with endgame feature. The infantry still constantly overshoot the HQ and I have seen them go straight through it, touching it without a shadow of a doubt.

https://mega.nz/#!a4YwFDrJ!kMGw6AJa1a2WvhTRpElvjoQLitHdlxcogCKyfzvyOns

Still no way to shoot shit. Working on getting the lives remaining working, then it's onto getting the towers to work. Then it's onto money.

EDIT: T'was not the edit button
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9781 on: June 23, 2016, 10:08:28 am »

So this isn't exactly programming, but any recommendations on where to go to college to get into programming? And possibly any degrees I might want to get? Obviously some type of math and computer science, but anything else I might want?
Beyond the first few courses, college computer science has little to do with programming in the workplace.  Personally, I very much enjoyed a physics degree, which incidentally included a bit of programming and a lot of math.  I've known people do well with an Information Systems degree, too.

Beyond that, I strongly recommend learning a version control system, such as git, perhaps by fixing a bug in an open-source program.  Installing Linux From Scratch doesn't hurt either, but takes several days and a spare computer.

As to where, it really doesn't matter much, particularly if you can point to some projects you wrote or contributed to in your spare time.  Curiously, MIT's brand name has backfired, with its graduates often seen as more arrogant than they're worth; places with a more practical bent tend to produce better employees.  Public colleges usually offer reduced tuition to in-state residents; reducing or eliminating your debt at graduation can greatly reduce the stress of starting life as an adult.  On the other hand, living at least an hour away from parents can help develop some of the other skills you'll need.
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9782 on: June 23, 2016, 10:15:06 am »

Installing Linux From Scratch doesn't hurt either, but takes several days and a spare computer.

I haven't actually looked at the docs in years but last I heard (somewhat recently), they were very out of date. The development branch appears to have commits as recently as yesterday so that may be the way to go if anyone wants to try LFS.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9783 on: June 23, 2016, 03:21:47 pm »

So this isn't exactly programming, but any recommendations on where to go to college to get into programming? And possibly any degrees I might want to get? Obviously some type of math and computer science, but anything else I might want?

What kind of work do you want to do?

Computer Science - lots of lowlevel or close-to-hardware programming and math.  Think firmware, graphics engines, compiler languages like C++.
Informatics or Information Systems in an IT-focused school - blend of Comp Sci and Business, still programming but less math and includes a focus on design and user experience, programming on teams, etc.  Better for web development; think Python (some Java) and databases, interface design and flow, compatibility and information transfer issues (health informatics is a write-your-own-salary field afaik).  Either degree will work, but they are focused on different things.  If your favorite school only offers one, make sure that you can take the courses needed to be well-rounded.

Really, the most important thing is to make sure you're prepared for work after school.  Working as a programmer is very, very different from learning to program and many schools don't prepare students well.  Every programmer needs to know interface design and have good teamwork skills, but not all programs provide that, and those students are at a disadvantage. We just turned a candidate down because he couldn't talk about design principles and habitually avoided group projects, for example. Other major issues often left untaught are how to do code reviews and how to write documentation - you must write BOTH comments AND a help file to do well professionally now. Make sure your technical writing and communication skills are up to par regardless of your degree.

Good programmers develop a portfolio of work by contributing to open-source projects, going on internships or volunteering to do pages or apps for local businesses or charities.

Think about all this a bit, then get in touch with guidance counselors or career center people at the schools you're considering to get specifics of their programs.  Also, find programmers in your country or community and talk to them. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 03:31:17 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9784 on: June 23, 2016, 09:03:40 pm »

I have Math.ceil(Math.random()*9) to force a rounding up, so it'll give me 9 lots of something between 0-1 then rounds.

No way to place towers, any idea how I can get them to target and prioritise enemies? I'm thinking that MGs will focus on unit types 1-3 then 4-6 then 7-9. Flak should prioritise 4-6, then 1-3, then 7-9. Then field guns should target 7-9, 4-6 then 1-3. But I don't know how.

Them walking on the menu is bad.
EDIT I fixed it. Now how to tower.
Add drag and drop towers! That will really show your programming skill.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9785 on: June 26, 2016, 05:02:03 pm »

I'm looking for a program that can automatically create a personal wiki a la Tomboy with. Basically, able to look for section headings, then go through everything else and link any use of a section heading back to its appropriate section. Preferably in a package that I can run on a google docs file.

Anyone heard of something like this/ knowledgeable on how to build one? 
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9786 on: June 26, 2016, 05:07:43 pm »

I'm looking for a program that can automatically create a personal wiki a la Tomboy with. Basically, able to look for section headings, then go through everything else and link any use of a section heading back to its appropriate section. Preferably in a package that I can run on a google docs file.

Anyone heard of something like this/ knowledgeable on how to build one?

I don't know about Docs, but you can host TiddlyWiki on Drive.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9787 on: June 26, 2016, 05:14:31 pm »

That looks like it could work. Thanks much, Mephisto.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9788 on: July 04, 2016, 09:26:18 pm »

Does anybody else have something that they have to look up every single time they want to use it? I always have to have an example open whenever I want to use delegates or switch statements, my brain has a block against remembering the syntax of those things.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9789 on: July 04, 2016, 11:24:52 pm »

Does anybody else have something that they have to look up every single time they want to use it? I always have to have an example open whenever I want to use delegates or switch statements, my brain has a block against remembering the syntax of those things.
Literally everything to do with syntax. I still can't get my main set up correctly on the first try.
And I refuse to even attempt writing an overload for the stream instruction operators without google.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #9790 on: July 05, 2016, 04:17:31 am »

for syntax in javascript

also, length/width/height spelling. I'd be doing 90% less mistakes if eclipse had a spellchecker as good as webstorm

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9791 on: July 05, 2016, 07:45:35 am »

All of the minutiae around Django - middleware, context processors, the format of signals and template tags. I'm beginning to hate it, especially given we're stuck on 1.6 and they dropped all docs for versions < 1.7 some months back.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9792 on: July 05, 2016, 11:34:02 am »

Trigonometry.  Specifically, how to determine, given two points, what the angle is of the line from the first to the second.  I've solved that exact problem multiple times and I can never remember exactly how I did it.

My teacher for trig in High School was absolutely horrible.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9793 on: July 05, 2016, 11:44:59 am »

Trigonometry.  Specifically, how to determine, given two points, what the angle is of the line from the first to the second.  I've solved that exact problem multiple times and I can never remember exactly how I did it.

My teacher for trig in High School was absolutely horrible.
Take the inverse tangent of the y-distance over the x-distance.  Or you could do the sin(a)/A=sin(b)/B thing.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 11:47:54 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9794 on: July 05, 2016, 12:24:39 pm »

I use Math.Atan2.  And... Math.cos, and I guess I do something with them?  God, I did this less than a month ago and it just slips through my brain like water through a sieve.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 796