Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 625 626 [627] 628 629 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 886970 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #9390 on: April 19, 2016, 12:50:20 pm »

Yeah, I've mostly gotten over it to the point where I've started actually learning it. I sort of had to, as I had reason to dig into Unity's shader code (based off of the CG language standard, which is basically C but with a whole lot of built in . . . "features"  ::) ) and I had to learn C in a hurry.

I kind of like it now. I'm not saying I want to use it, but I feel reasonably confident in my chances of being able to get something done if I have to.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9391 on: April 19, 2016, 12:53:36 pm »

I recommend Quill18's videos on shaders that he released just last night. :P

Seriously, they're really helpful. Quill18 has a habit of making really complicated and scary things seem simple.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9392 on: April 19, 2016, 05:46:30 pm »

has lots of clout with other people who also run companies and manage people.

wow i have seen literally zero evidence of that, i'm pretty sure everyone knows this is a shitty dude who runs a literal spyware company

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9393 on: April 19, 2016, 08:39:31 pm »

i'm pretty sure everyone knows this is a shitty dude who runs a literal spyware company
I ROFL'd. Then I realized you were serious.

(Though yeah, a good Clang compiler that actually gives sensible, human-readable error output on compilation is something I suggest to anyone who has the hardware/software combinations that support it).
I just started using Clang recently. Unfortunately, the first error is listed first, so I have to scroll up to where the command was issued in the terminal. This is compounded by the fact that the Clear command doesn't last (at least in xterm), so I have to open up a new terminal each time to quickly find the error. Reset command seems to work better. I've settled with Visual Studio to get my projects working before switching to Clang for the final result.

Any tips for compiling/debugging in a Linux-based environment?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:15:20 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9394 on: April 21, 2016, 02:51:57 am »

In C#, I've got a list of objects that each have an int value and would like to sort them in order of said int value.

I don't strictly need to but I would like to understand how the list's sort() function works.  How am I supposed to tell it what value to sort by?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9395 on: April 21, 2016, 03:02:04 am »

PTW this literal wizardry. Sorry I wont have much to contribute, I barely even qualify as a Scripter, Im far from being a programmer (though thats my life goal)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9396 on: April 21, 2016, 03:10:21 am »

In C#, I've got a list of objects that each have an int value and would like to sort them in order of said int value.

I don't strictly need to but I would like to understand how the list's sort() function works.  How am I supposed to tell it what value to sort by?

I think you need to implement the IComparable Interface in the object.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9397 on: April 21, 2016, 03:28:58 am »

Sorry I wont have much to contribute
What the hell man, you're not allowed to participate in this thread until you've written three operating systems and a self-learning AI.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

cottontailcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9398 on: April 21, 2016, 06:33:08 am »

I reckon that glaring at my IDE, wondering wtf C++ is being compiled as C when the thing's been given /every indication possible/ (in my very ignorant eyes) that I am writing C++, and after two hours huffing and going to another computer with an already-functioning set up, should allow me to gripe on this thread? :P

I feel as though getting your environment to work as expected shouldn't be the hardest thing about learning... but I'm not really surprised!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9399 on: April 21, 2016, 06:37:17 am »

I reckon that glaring at my IDE, wondering wtf C++ is being compiled as C when the thing's been given /every indication possible/ (in my very ignorant eyes) that I am writing C++, and after two hours huffing and going to another computer with an already-functioning set up, should allow me to gripe on this thread? :P

I feel as though getting your environment to work as expected shouldn't be the hardest thing about learning... but I'm not really surprised!
That would be what we call a problem, yes.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

cottontailcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9400 on: April 21, 2016, 07:05:22 am »

Very much so: after duct-taping the first issue -- I did eventually find a way to change the compiler (per file, muttering 'I really shouldn't have to do this it's all broke!' under my breath). It seemed to utterly refuse to read half the libraries I wanted it to, so I did more poking (like a toddler at an iOS lock screen) found that I could get rid of the squiggly lines and alerts around my include statements but could not use any of their contents, so I decided I wanted to get rid of it all. Turns out even /that/ may be impossible due to my confusion in combination with an OS bug (thanks, microsoft). :/ :/ gripe gripe
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:15:23 am by cottontailcake »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9401 on: April 21, 2016, 11:26:06 am »

if youre trying to write c++, getting your environment and libraries to work are certainly the hardest parts. i once spent the better part of a week figuring out how to include a specific library

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9402 on: April 21, 2016, 12:11:41 pm »

I think you need to implement the IComparable Interface in the object.
Or just do something like:
Code: [Select]
ListVariable.Sort((a, b)=>a.IntValue.CompareTo(b.IntValue));
Lambdas are great.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9403 on: April 21, 2016, 12:31:51 pm »

if youre trying to write c++, getting your environment and libraries to work are certainly the hardest parts. i once spent the better part of a week figuring out how to include a specific library

Sounds like the time I tried to compile V8 on Windows using Visual Studio.  That took a couple of days because V8 uses some kind of makefile generator system that had to be installed separately, but the projects it created for Visual Studio were only for older versions which didn't get upgraded by VS properly.  Lots and lots of fun with that one.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #9404 on: April 21, 2016, 02:47:29 pm »

If you're learning c++, do yourself a favor and learn how static and dynamic libraries work as soon as possible.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 625 626 [627] 628 629 ... 796