Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 884184 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #8940 on: February 05, 2016, 02:52:49 pm »

I love VS, and I am always gonna love VS, and you can never take it away from me. :3
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #8941 on: February 05, 2016, 03:26:36 pm »

Never really felt VS as a slow compiler but then again I only did small time school projects. Can someone tell me around how many lines of code will VS decide to slowdown at? I'm guessing 500 lines and as for why I want to know..just curiosity.

I love VS, and I am always gonna love VS, and you can never take it away from me. :3

Eclipse is nice also :3

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8942 on: February 05, 2016, 04:03:04 pm »

It sort of counts? Text editor + interactive console = IDE, am I wrong?
Haven't touched IDLE in years. Does it also support just running the interpreter? I think that also makes it count.
Indeed it does.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8943 on: February 05, 2016, 04:06:27 pm »

You're better off learning JavaFX unless you explicitly want to maintain Java Swing GUIs.

Which, considering the nature of programming (half the existing code architecture will never be replaced no matter how ancient because laziness and money) means you're better off learning Java Swing.

You forgot AWT!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8944 on: February 05, 2016, 05:46:06 pm »

Oh wow, had a look at JavaFX and it looks way more awesome than any other GUI system I've seen.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8945 on: February 05, 2016, 06:16:12 pm »

Never really felt VS as a slow compiler but then again I only did small time school projects. Can someone tell me around how many lines of code will VS decide to slowdown at? I'm guessing 500 lines and as for why I want to know..just curiosity.

Nobody is saying it compiles slowly

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8946 on: February 05, 2016, 06:19:56 pm »

I've never liked Eclipse, or any other Jave IDE I've used. I ❤ visual studio though.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8947 on: February 05, 2016, 07:18:24 pm »

Netbeans was alright. Nothing really special, but it worked and did all I needed.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8948 on: February 05, 2016, 09:18:51 pm »

It's probably just sluggish when you're on a 20 years old computer.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8949 on: February 05, 2016, 09:37:42 pm »

It's probably just sluggish when you're on a 20 years old computer.
It's slow to start-up versus, say, a regular text editor. It also makes you go through stuff to create a blank project. I sometimes experience typing lag, where my characters don't appear until a second or so after I've typed them, or just when moving the cursor around. It's probably doing Intellisense stuff, which IMO doesn't need to take priority over text display.

Personally, I prefer to edit code in Notepad++, then compile and debug in Visual Studio later.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:40:49 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8950 on: February 05, 2016, 09:42:38 pm »

I use Notepad++ if I just want to try something out. It feels wasteful to create a project and set a folder aside when I just want to monkey around with an idea I had on the spur of the moment.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #8951 on: February 08, 2016, 11:45:48 am »

So i'm in a programming team and they've set a group project questions called 3n + 1. I'll input a link at the bottom to the full problem but i'm confused as to what i'm suppose to do.

From what I can gather from my reads is that you input a number into a program with some If statements and then try to optimize the soultion. From their i'm very lost and I don't know what exactly they want me to do. So am I suppose to just make a program that inputs a number for N and then see which iteration of my ifs it'll run into?

Also how do I know if a for loop or while loop is faster? I'm still a very basic programmer and haven't much experience with optimizing programs so making it 'run faster' is out of my scope (attempted joke). All of my assignments have been under 100 lines with one reaching around 130 lines of code.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8952 on: February 08, 2016, 12:00:08 pm »

What language are you writing in, though?
In Python, you'd use the timeit module to see how fast small snippets of code run, or cProfile for a more general view at the efficiency of your stuff.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8953 on: February 08, 2016, 02:12:01 pm »

I'll input a link at the bottom to the full problem but i'm confused as to what i'm suppose to do.
Think you could actually drop that link? Right now all we have are your statements about what you think they were trying to tell you; you never actually gave the link in your post. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Nullsrc

• Bay Watcher
  • A Euclidean Plane Crash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8954 on: February 08, 2016, 08:17:41 pm »

Links or it didn't happen?

I know that if you're in C (Or probably C++) one option is to use a few clock() calls to get processor time, and you might be able to do the comparison that way.
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 796