Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 884200 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #8925 on: February 04, 2016, 12:42:40 pm »

Poking around with javaFX. Anyone here know if there's a way to make forms auto-update? Like say you enter some thing in a text field and tab/click away and then have it update another field based on the information in the first?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8926 on: February 04, 2016, 03:13:50 pm »

Poking around with javaFX. Anyone here know if there's a way to make forms auto-update? Like say you enter some thing in a text field and tab/click away and then have it update another field based on the information in the first?

textArea.textProperty().addListener(new ChangeListener<String>() {
    @Override
    public void changed(final ObservableValue<? extends String> observable, final String oldValue, final String newValue) {
       something something
    }
});

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #8927 on: February 04, 2016, 05:02:10 pm »

Can someone recommend me a good Java Swing tutorial that does not rely on using IDEs (Eclipse and NetBeans). I know it's easier that way, but i don't want to become dependent on using IDEs.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #8928 on: February 04, 2016, 05:32:00 pm »

Woah, just looked up about JavaFX. Call me primitive, but i never knew it existed...

Thanks!  :D

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8929 on: February 05, 2016, 12:12:31 am »

Can someone recommend me a good Java Swing tutorial that does not rely on using IDEs (Eclipse and NetBeans). I know it's easier that way, but i don't want to become dependent on using IDEs.

I feel that you basically have to use an IDE for C# and Java, the two major corporate languages of the world.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8930 on: February 05, 2016, 12:43:17 am »

Wait, I forgot, is OOP still The Thing in business?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8931 on: February 05, 2016, 12:45:25 am »

I don't know why anybody would chose not to use an IDE, honestly.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #8932 on: February 05, 2016, 12:50:57 am »

Wait, I forgot, is OOP still The Thing in business?
Yeah, basically everyone wants programmers with OO experience. They also want you to be an AGILE team player who has extensively used Git, Mercurial, and other repository systems while managing a dynamic programming environment with maximum buzzword efficiency.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8933 on: February 05, 2016, 02:03:18 am »

Maybe you have a really weird IDE, but I've never had any issues with Visual studio in that regard.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8934 on: February 05, 2016, 03:19:01 am »

I don't know why anybody would chose not to use an IDE, honestly.
Ever since the Visual Studio .net rewrite, I've found it to be terribly slow and bloated compared to a "simple" text editor like Emacs or vim. Still the best debugger on Windows, but unfortunately even the debugger has slowed down lately. There should not be a visible delay when I hit the button to step through a line of code... Besides that, I find that using an IDE encourages writing code that requires an IDE to write, e.g., lots of unnecessary boilerplate everywhere because it's just so easy to crank out.

Emacs even has pretty competent autocomplete with Semantic now, which is all I would've used an IDE for anyway. I also really have an issue with the "project" style of organization most IDEs use, which makes writing tiny code snippets a real pain in the ass. Every time I've used VS it's shat out a half dozen folders god-knows-where to keep track of a bunch of completely meaningless data. With Emacs, I can just make a new file, then hit alt+m to compile. No hassle. If there's a makefile or build.bat then it'll call that, otherwise it just calls cl currentfile -Wx -Wall -Zi.

I don't actually think Emacs (or vim!) are particularly competent text editors, but they're as close to "good" as we've gotten. Still waiting for someone to write a great code editor that's not written in some awful interpreted language, runs quickly, and is extremely lightweight. Preferably with C bindings for plugins...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8935 on: February 05, 2016, 05:24:26 am »

The only reason I would not use an IDE is if I'm writing so incredibly simple and small that the time it takes to load Visual Studio would be a massive time saving.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #8936 on: February 05, 2016, 06:04:32 am »

Hm. Does IDLE even count as an IDE any more? Its functionality is pretty much limited to syntax highlighting and sometimes, if you're lucky, not breaking things.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8937 on: February 05, 2016, 09:40:06 am »

Hm. Does IDLE even count as an IDE any more? Its functionality is pretty much limited to syntax highlighting and sometimes, if you're lucky, not breaking things.
It sort of counts? Text editor + interactive console = IDE, am I wrong?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Nullsrc

• Bay Watcher
  • A Euclidean Plane Crash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8938 on: February 05, 2016, 11:28:04 am »

It sort of counts? Text editor + interactive console = IDE, am I wrong?
Haven't touched IDLE in years. Does it also support just running the interpreter? I think that also makes it count.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8939 on: February 05, 2016, 02:15:18 pm »

Ever since the Visual Studio .net rewrite, I've found it to be terribly slow and bloated compared to a "simple" text editor like Emacs or vim. Still the best debugger on Windows, but unfortunately even the debugger has slowed down lately.
That's because Visual Studio is a textbook example of horrible code bloat and meaningless feature creep combined with the tried and true microsoft method of never removing old code support ever, resulting in each version becoming worse and worse than the last. Honestly even the first versions of Visual Studio were pretty bad compared to more focused programs, and that's something that has only gotten worse as time has gone by.

This is one of the many reasons I like many IDE's for their utility, but I try to avoid Visual Studios as much as possible.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 796