Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 886844 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #7335 on: May 11, 2015, 04:33:17 pm »

Tried messing with recursion in C++ after reading about it in a book about AI stuff. Tried making a program that used a recursive function call to calculate to a certain point in the fibonacci sequence before printing the resulting number. Couldn't work it out, but on the bright side I know a bit on how vectors work now.

Anyone more experienced willing to provide an example of how they'd program this?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7336 on: May 11, 2015, 04:45:49 pm »

Tried messing with recursion in C++ after reading about it in a book about AI stuff. Tried making a program that used a recursive function call to calculate to a certain point in the fibonacci sequence before printing the resulting number. Couldn't work it out, but on the bright side I know a bit on how vectors work now.

Anyone more experienced willing to provide an example of how they'd program this?

I'd probably just use a function that passes a result back by reference. Something like

Code: [Select]
void Fibonacci(int* N, int* NMinusOne)
{
     int* TempN;
     &TempN = &N;
     &N = &N + &NMinusOne;
     &NMinusOne = &N;
}

int RunToFibonacciNumber(int NumberToRunTo)
{
     int* N;
     int* NMinusOne;
     &N = 1;
     &NMinusOne = 1;
     for (i = 0; i < NumberToRunTo; i++)
          Fibonacci(N, NMinusOne);
     return N;
}

It doesn't have any kind of out-of-bounds checking and could probably be optimized a bit, but it should work.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7337 on: May 11, 2015, 04:49:36 pm »

#include <iostream>

int fib(int n) {
    if (n==0) {
        return 0;
    }
    if (n==1) {
        return 1;
    }
    return fib(n-1)+fib(n-2);
}

int main(){
    std::cout << fib(8);
}

This is obviously the most naive implementation of the recursive fibonacci function. Hope you like exponential algorithmic complexity!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7338 on: May 11, 2015, 04:59:05 pm »

I'd probably just use a function that passes a result back by reference. Something like

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It doesn't have any kind of out-of-bounds checking and could probably be optimized a bit, but it should work.
I understood most of that. I think. Except the int* part. I know & is used to refer to the memory address of a variable, didn't know & could be put before the variable name, and I don't know what * does.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is obviously the most naive implementation of the recursive fibonacci function. Hope you like exponential algorithmic complexity!
I figured it would be easy so that's why I tried to figure it out myself before giving up and asking here. D:
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7339 on: May 11, 2015, 05:01:43 pm »

#include <iostream>

int fib(int n) {
    if (n==0) {
        return 0;
    }
    if (n==1) {
        return 1;
    }
    return fib(n-1)+fib(n-2);
}

int main(){
    std::cout << fib(8);
}

Yeah, that one looks time-consuming for larger numbers.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7340 on: May 11, 2015, 05:04:24 pm »

EDIT: @Putnam: your one will infinite loop if n < 0, so you need to either check for that or check "n<=0" instead of "n==0".

Also, because of branch prediction you should always put the most likely option at the top of your "if-else" or repeated "if" statements. This is because the compiler can't possibly know the "use-cases", i.e. the likely input values you plan to pump into your function. Maybe 99% of the inputs are zero, or maybe they're all very large numbers. Only the human designer can work that out. So it can't optimize for the order to do the tests.

Since processing a large positive number is the worst-case scenario for fibonacci, then the check for >1 should be first. This will minimize the number of CPU cycles needed to get your value. For fibonacci(1000000), the checks for n==0 and n==1 would happen for each of those, leading to 2 million comparisons, vs 1 million if you did an n>1 check first.

Write out the desired function first:

f(n) = f(n-1) + f(n-2)

set some special rules for edge cases

f(0) = 1
f(1) = 1

this is the information you need to build your recursive function:

int fibonacci(int n)
{
    if(n>1)
        return fibonacci(n-1) + fibonacci(n-2);
    else if(n==1)
        return n;
    else
        return 0;
}

Done, and done.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:17:13 pm by Reelya »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7341 on: May 11, 2015, 06:14:47 pm »

After a few days of struggling to get Ruby-GTK2 working properly, I finally discovered the problem.  Windows 8 is buggy and needed a windows-update to fix things. 

There was 3 days wasted at work wasted by windows.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7342 on: May 11, 2015, 08:54:11 pm »

My boss is paying me to take the Microsoft Certification for HTML5/Javascript next week.  Anyone taken a cert test before?  I have no idea what I actually need to prepare for.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7343 on: May 12, 2015, 08:08:46 am »

Does anyone know what is it with modern Javascript library writers where they split up functionality in a million files scattered across the folder structure? How do they expect you to have like 10 script includes to draw a blank canvas? @.@ (talking about Three.js here--apparently the basic projector and the canvas renderer are in different files)

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7344 on: May 12, 2015, 08:20:14 am »

int fibonacci(int n)
{
    if(n>1)
        return fibonacci(n-1) + fibonacci(n-2);
    else if(n==1)
        return n;
    else
        return 0;
}

This only works for n < 40something, if I remember right.
Not saying that it is wrong, just keep in mind how a small n can produce a rabitsplosion the likes of which even Armok has never seen.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 08:22:45 am by monkey »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7345 on: May 12, 2015, 08:21:03 am »

Does anyone know what is it with modern Javascript library writers where they split up functionality in a million files scattered across the folder structure? How do they expect you to have like 10 script includes to draw a blank canvas? @.@ (talking about Three.js here--apparently the basic projector and the canvas renderer are in different files)

It's easy for development to have stuff be separated. You're intended to actually use the minified file, which is basically all of them concatenated together.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7346 on: May 12, 2015, 08:30:31 am »

It's easy for development to have stuff be separated. You're intended to actually use the minified file, which is basically all of them concatenated together.

The minified file is smaller than the not-minified one but still has everything? I find that kind hard to believe >.>

Edit: I tried the minified file and both of them don't work. I'm starting to think that it's because they use Node.js or something to have a requires() system...

Edit2: Oh, I think I get it now. You mean that when developing, you're expected to have a sort of system that automatically includes everything you need, and when pushing to production you use some other script to batch everything into a single minified js file. That sucks :/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 08:40:51 am by Skyrunner »

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7347 on: May 12, 2015, 08:59:26 am »

Sorry, I meant "easier for the Three.js developers." If all of the code that I develop was in a single file, I would honestly probably find a different job.

The minification process removes comments, extraneous space, and newlines, as well as shortens variable names. It should function the same but it's all in a smaller file.

If three.min.js doesn't work but the non-minified version does, I'm not sure what the issue is.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7348 on: May 12, 2015, 09:02:56 am »

Sorry, I meant "easier for the Three.js developers." If all of the code that I develop was in a single file, I would honestly probably find a different job.

The minification process removes comments, extraneous space, and newlines, as well as shortens variable names. It should function the same but it's all in a smaller file.

If three.min.js doesn't work but the non-minified version does, I'm not sure what the issue is.
What happens is that specific functionality is in different files. The default Three.js file (nor the Three.min.js file) has everything you need to actually use Three.js. In my case. I had to include CanvasRenderer.js and Projector.js from different files.

I know that obviously code is separated into different files when developing, but a lot of the libraries I used either combined them into one file before releasing (d3.js, Victor.js), while others provide the option to have a modular file (you can include Physics.js plus all the stuff you want like bounded_box.js, impulse_collision.js, pixi_renderer.js) while also providing a pre-compiled file that has everything (Physics.mono.js).

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7349 on: May 12, 2015, 10:14:13 am »

This formula returns the nth fibonacci number :P
(probably not what you're looking for, though)

The naive implementation of a fibonacci sequence is pretty slow, but it illustrates the concept of recursion pretty well.
I know there's a solution that runs in linear time without using dynamic programming, but I can't remember it right now. (Not that it really matters, since that formula is obviously fastest)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:17:59 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 796