Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 887455 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #7185 on: April 15, 2015, 10:14:01 pm »

I've recently been experimenting with graphics in Python 2.7, but I can't seem to find a decent library, save for pygame (Which I've yet to find a decent tutorial for) and pyOpenGL (Which crashes outright when I try to import it for some reason). What libraries would you recommend? I'd like to use graphics.py, but it would appear to be Python 3 only. Is there an older version of that somewhere, or will I just have to either find a different library, or finally get around to using Python 3?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: April 15, 2015, 11:22:43 pm »

Once you get the basics down Pygame's documentation is pretty much enough.  I've forgotten which tutorials I used to get started, but this looks like a good start.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #7187 on: April 15, 2015, 11:25:08 pm »

Pygame is really great, actually. If you can't find a tutorial you can usually get away with looking at the documentation for something that does what you're looking for.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: April 16, 2015, 01:13:33 am »

I had wanted to create a series of tutorials on game development in Unity for a while now, but always chickened out of actually recording them. I finally sat down and recorded a rough draft of a trio of intro-to-programming videos.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

These are just rough edits, but GUNINANRUNIN suggested posting them here to get feedback. I'm not sure if I didn't explain things clearly enough or jumped around too much or anything, and I'd really appreciate it if any of you guys would glance over even just part of one of them to make sure I'm not putting something stupid out there.

Ideally, I'd like to make a whole bunch of these on specific topics in Unity (like common scripts (movement, dialogue trees, etc.) and specific topics (networking, physics)) and then (if they turn out well) go on to other things (web programming is the first thing I have in mind), but I'd prefer to double check to see if I'm messing up before churning them out.

Also, if this isn't appropriate for this thread... sorry. I haven't visited General Discussion in a long time.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: April 16, 2015, 01:26:59 am »

I'm actually doing a course where I do development in Unity myself. But we use C# not JavaScript.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: April 16, 2015, 01:28:32 am »

I'm actually doing a course where I do development in Unity myself. This will be handy for me too. If you like, I can pass these onto my classmates so you get more audience.

That would be awesome! Just give me a day or two to clean up the videos and create a channel specifically for them.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: April 16, 2015, 01:31:05 am »

Yeah, sorry but our whole course is in C#, so it would not be used :/ since you're entirely using JavaScript. I only realized that after posting. I can help convert stuff back and forth though.

I started a Unity development thread in Creative Projects, to gauge interest in working together with Bay12ers and have a place to get Unity-specific help.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 01:38:32 am by Reelya »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: April 16, 2015, 01:42:45 am »

If it would help, I could provide example code for C# to go with the tutorials. The concepts would all be the same.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #7193 on: April 16, 2015, 02:12:07 am »

Seems fairly reasonable. My only gripe is that you talk a bit fast and I can't follow your accent :P.

A C# version would be preferable for me, too. I don't like Javascript.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: April 16, 2015, 03:02:39 pm »

I speak proper Californian English, I don't have an accent! :P

I re-recorded the JavaScript version with (hopefully) better explanations, the C# version will follow shortly to appease you heretics who don't use the One True Unity Language.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: April 16, 2015, 03:58:12 pm »

every unity thing I've ever seen in my life uses C# and, even though I saw that javascript was supported, I never actually thought anyone would use it???

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: April 16, 2015, 06:35:34 pm »

Yeah, though it supports other languages, C# is kinda Unity's native language. I haven't used Javascript with it, but I remember hearing something about Unity not supporting "real" Javascript, or transcribing it into C# internally, or something like that. For some reason, it was sub-optimal, anyway.

I started a Unity development thread in Creative Projects, to gauge interest in working together with Bay12ers and have a place to get Unity-specific help.

Neat to see the Unity thread too. I was gearing up to post about a project I've been working on, so it'll be nice to have a dedicated discussion place. :Y

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: April 16, 2015, 06:40:29 pm »

Soli, do you have a thread here on bay12? If not keep us updated too when you update your blog :) or the unity thread i s'pose! I'm watching that one too
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:44:14 pm by Tylui »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: April 16, 2015, 07:29:10 pm »

every unity thing I've ever seen in my life uses C# and, even though I saw that javascript was supported, I never actually thought anyone would use it???

Well, some of us started out as web programmers. Old habits die hard.

Yeah, though it supports other languages, C# is kinda Unity's native language. I haven't used Javascript with it, but I remember hearing something about Unity not supporting "real" Javascript, or transcribing it into C# internally, or something like that. For some reason, it was sub-optimal, anyway.

As I understand it, it's slower for Unity to run (I hadn't heard about Unity parsing it into C#, but it wouldn't surprise me if that happens behind the scenes), though there are a few things that speed it up. It's also technically not JavaScript, I think. I dunno. It works for me, though I'll probably switch completely over to C# once I get used to it.

I'll be keeping an eye on that project of yours, BTW. Doing cool stuff with Unity piques my interest.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: April 16, 2015, 07:36:32 pm »

4/16/2015 17:22.12 onSoliPost called!
4/16/2015 17:29.37 OUTPUT: Thank you Solifuge! I've always enjoyed your projects and it'll be neat to follow along.
4/16/2015 17:36.32 The thread 0x488c has exited with code 259 (0x103).
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 796