Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 886727 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #6630 on: November 17, 2014, 10:55:45 pm »

Well, it's what we are learning in school, and I have not had a chance to look at any of the others yet.

If you want to see some code, GearHead 1 and 2 roguelikes are programmed in Pascal. Using pointers and all that stuff.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6631 on: November 17, 2014, 11:00:14 pm »

Also, Microsoft open-sourced1 the .NET core recently, so that's probably going to get some extra support.

1most far-fetched phrase in the news of the month goes to
Microsoft open-sourced1 the .NET core recently, so that's probably going to get some extra support.
Microsoft open-sourced
Microsoft
open-source
wat

Edit: So they did. Wow. Huh. Cool, I guess.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:03:18 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6632 on: November 17, 2014, 11:07:10 pm »

Also, Microsoft open-sourced1 the .NET core recently, so that's probably going to get some extra support.

1most far-fetched phrase in the news of the month goes to
Microsoft open-sourced1 the .NET core recently, so that's probably going to get some extra support.
Microsoft open-sourced
Microsoft
open-source
wat

Edit: So they did. Wow. Huh. Cool, I guess.

Apparently, new CEO apparently is a pretty cool guy, eh releases code and doesn't afraid of open source.

Ex-CEO Balmer refered to open source as a cancer that attaches to everything.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: November 17, 2014, 11:13:13 pm »

Plus, their core platform is under threat and they've failed to gain ground in new markets. .NET running on any and all devices is their lifeline. Open sourcing the architecture means someone else puts in the money and time to make it work on whichever random platform, so MicroSoft doesn't have to do any work, and they can sell .NET apps to users on new devices. Massively optimizing .NET on just Windows, like they've been doing, doesn't make a lot of sense if you want the same app to run on Android, iPhones, tablets and PCs. Better to have a stable, simple platform that runs reasonably on a whole lot of devices.

It's like oil companies "open sourcing" gas stations: you build the station, then buy the gas from us.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:17:21 pm by Reelya »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6634 on: November 18, 2014, 01:20:35 am »

C# is a nice language, I would recommend it for desktop development, or phone development in Unity (seriously, don't use UnityScript).

If your developing for phones, just pick the language of the target phone. Unfortunetely, due to restrictions on many phone OS's, cross platform development can be a pain in the ass. Life would be much easier if they just released C/C++ SDK's for their devices ::)
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6635 on: November 18, 2014, 01:21:34 am »

You can also shell out huge amounts for Xarmin to develop for android using C#

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6636 on: November 18, 2014, 09:33:41 am »

I've programmed a lot in C# for businesses and I think it's superior to Java. Heck, one of the guys that came with up with Java designed C#, so it's basically an evolution of Java, virtual machines, garbage collecting, and all that jazz.

But I'll stick to Java for as long as it has better cross-platform support than C#. Mono is good but limited in mobile devices and it's harder to guarantee that a user has it installed than Java.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #6637 on: November 18, 2014, 11:51:13 am »

Alternatively, C# with Mono.
Yeah, starting to get into Unity, which ports with Mono.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6638 on: November 18, 2014, 11:55:17 am »

Some sort of programming competition, I was skimming over the allowed languages and noticed that Prolog, of all things, was there.

That really doesn't seem like a language you'd want to use for a timed competition.

E: Also, I think C# is a really cool language, from my limited experience with it. MSDN has some very complete documentation, which is particularly great.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 12:00:14 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6639 on: November 18, 2014, 12:06:29 pm »

Does anyone know where I might be able to grab a free font in the form of an image file with an accompanying set of coordinates? Making my own with MS Paint is sooo tedious :(
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6640 on: November 18, 2014, 08:12:41 pm »

Some sort of programming competition, I was skimming over the allowed languages and noticed that Prolog, of all things, was there.

That really doesn't seem like a language you'd want to use for a timed competition.

E: Also, I think C# is a really cool language, from my limited experience with it. MSDN has some very complete documentation, which is particularly great.

I really want to get learning Prolog specifically so that I can weird people out by writing the weirdest shit in it.

For example, I've written a small KSP mod in Boo instead of C# because I wanted to learn more about KSP mod stuff instead of having to learn C# while I was at it (Boo is like statically-typed Python, so it was a very small jump). Seriously, I'm not even sure if most people who mod KSP know that you can use anything other than C#.

If I ever write an actual KSP mod, I'm doing it in P#, which is friggin prolog for CLI, partially because "why the fuck are you using prolog for game programming" and partially because it's technically a space-age language, heh.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6641 on: November 19, 2014, 01:14:09 am »

I could never take Prolog seriously after I discovered it had things called functors.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6642 on: November 19, 2014, 01:17:06 am »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6643 on: November 19, 2014, 02:11:51 am »

... welp. There goes any possible future I had in the software industry.

*snrk*

* Orange falls off his chair laughing at the silly name.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6644 on: November 19, 2014, 02:24:07 am »

You're screwed for mathematics too, the term comes from math. It gets better:

Quote from: wikipedia
Functors can be thought of as homomorphisms
A bifunctor (also known as a binary functor)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:26:39 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 796