Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 886776 times)

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #6615 on: November 17, 2014, 04:24:50 pm »

Well, it's what we are learning in school, and I have not had a chance to look at any of the others yet.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6616 on: November 17, 2014, 04:32:49 pm »

Well, it's what we are learning in school, and I have not had a chance to look at any of the others yet.
You should probably learn a different language as fast as possible. Any other language will do, as long as it isn't Pascal. Because Pascal is a horrible language. Python is a very good language for beginners, you should learn Python.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6617 on: November 17, 2014, 04:35:40 pm »

Funnily enough that's my experience of Pascal. 1 introductory class in my first year of college, then everything switched to c/c++ and never needed it again. Pascal not very useful for real-world projects and hardly anyone works with it, except for a newbie teaching language.

c/c++ is the king of languages though if you want to make high performance apps like PC games. To be good at c/c++ requires a lot of study though into how data structures work on the bits/bytes level. It's not a language that holds your hand, but it's awesomely powerful and expressive if you know how to do things.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6618 on: November 17, 2014, 04:37:51 pm »

You should probably learn a different language as fast as possible. Any other language will do, as long as it isn't Pascal. Because Pascal is a horrible language. Python is a very good language for beginners, you should learn Python.
I can't bad mouth pascal because I've never used it but Python is cool.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #6619 on: November 17, 2014, 04:42:52 pm »

Well, I've got to use it for my A-level project, and I'm too far through it to even attempt to switch to a new language, let alone learn a new one.

2000+ lines of code and counting.

Having said that, I am intending to learn c#.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6620 on: November 17, 2014, 04:47:56 pm »

I can't bad mouth pascal because I've never used it but Python is cool.
I had a CS course in high school. I was the only one of my class (including the teacher) who had any significant coding experience. The course covered the basics of three programming languages: Pascal, PHP and JS. I would have been perfectly understanding if any of my classmates had said they never wanted to code again.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6621 on: November 17, 2014, 04:52:30 pm »

We had Pascal in highschool too, but we barely did anything in it.  I remember at the time a friend of mine was trying to explain how arrays work.  I couldn't wrap my head around it at the time.  How could a variable be more than one value!?!?!  :P  :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: November 17, 2014, 05:19:19 pm »

My only CS classes have been about microsoft office, heh. I spent my spare time in-class after finishing whatever assignments there were (formatting, spreadsheeting etc.) writing DFHack scripts, heh.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6623 on: November 17, 2014, 05:27:45 pm »

Well, I've got to use it for my A-level project, and I'm too far through it to even attempt to switch to a new language, let alone learn a new one.

2000+ lines of code and counting.

Having said that, I am intending to learn c#.

What are the pro's and cons of C# vs Java, guys? I'd think learning Java might have more application areas, like smartphone apps.

Personally I'd recommend the order Java -> c/c++ -> c# if you really need it. C# is completely proprietary. C# sounds like it actually promotes lax standards of coding practice that would fuck you over if you translated them to c/c++, because it handles all the stuff you normal need to be careful about itself (at extra memory/speed overhead). So it's perhaps not the best idea ever to learn sloppy methods first, which could screw you over if you move to the many languages which don't hold your hand like that.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:31:31 pm by Reelya »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: November 17, 2014, 05:29:40 pm »

Android's the only one that runs on Java; Apple phones use Objective-C and Windows seems to use C#.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6625 on: November 17, 2014, 05:32:53 pm »

Java is more cross platform than C# since you don't have to worry about the .NET runtime issues, but if you don't care about that the general feeling I get is that people have kind of started migrating away from Java in general for various reasons.  I don't really have enough experience with either to comment on them in a technical sense, but I do recall my limited experience with Java being a bit irritating in general, coming from a C++ background, and much less irritating with C#.

That could easily be because I was using Visual Studio for C# and the command line compiler for Java with no debugger.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6626 on: November 17, 2014, 05:33:27 pm »

Windows phone ~2% of market share doesn't seem worth it for that. Java works on the web, as well as android phones and desktop systems. That's ~80% of the worldwide smartphone userbase right there. Objective C for iPhone would be worthwhile too, since iPhone users tend to have more money.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6627 on: November 17, 2014, 05:38:13 pm »

Alternatively, C# with Mono.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6628 on: November 17, 2014, 05:38:55 pm »

On a related note, if I had to choose between learning Objective-C and C#, I'd definitely pick C#.  Objective-C is only useful for iOS development, and you're going to find a lot more employment opportunities with C# experience unless you specifically apply only to software studios developing mobile apps.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6629 on: November 17, 2014, 07:15:38 pm »

Also, Microsoft open-sourced1 the .NET core recently, so that's probably going to get some extra support.

1most far-fetched phrase in the news of the month goes to
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 796