Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 884222 times)

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #6060 on: July 02, 2014, 07:57:11 pm »

The best thing I could think of to fix that issue would be to try a different IDE. I suggest Code::Blocks - they have a package with MinGW bundled in and all set up. All you have to do is install it and run it.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: July 02, 2014, 09:05:38 pm »

I feel kind of like an idiot now. Didn't realize I'd downloaded Code::Blocks on to this computer already. It also compiles properly.

So yeah, just going to leave that IDE stuff alone for now. Focus on easier to understand (and better documented) things, like pointers and libraries or something. I'll figure out how to do things in CodeBlocks later.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: July 02, 2014, 09:15:35 pm »

I suggest you learn a library,

for a roguelike like what you're doing, I'd suggest ncurses,
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: July 03, 2014, 09:08:52 am »

So guys I recently got a Macbook Air and I am now searching for a good free python IDE that works well on OS X, has debugger features, support for django and scripting languages and is quite comfortable to use. Syntax highlighting would also be nice to have, but is in no way necessary.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: July 03, 2014, 09:35:04 am »

I haven't looked for a while, but if you want a free IDE that has completion for Django templates, JavaScript, etc, you're pretty much limited to PyDev. I never cared for Eclipse-based solutions unless I was writing Java.

That being said, if you want to pay (or can get an academic or open source license), I have to parrot PyCharm. I basically do full stack development (oh, how I dislike that term) and it has JavaScript, CSS, HTML, and Django template completion. It's also got a handy notification that pops up when your requirements.txt changes (if you have one), offering to install the difference.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 09:37:20 am by Mephisto »

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: July 03, 2014, 07:09:38 pm »

So guys I recently got a Macbook Air and I am now searching for a good free python IDE that works well on OS X, has debugger features, support for django and scripting languages and is quite comfortable to use. Syntax highlighting would also be nice to have, but is in no way necessary.

Reformat it and install Linux or Windows,
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6066 on: July 03, 2014, 08:45:02 pm »

Reformat it and install Linux or Windows,

wat

Why are you thinking so extreme? You just told someone to getrid of one of the main reasons to buy his particular computer. Just install VirtualBox or some other VM and install linux on that.

Also, isn't OSX a type of UNIX--like system?

.. anyways, pdb is a good GUI debugger. You'll feel at home if you've ever used other GUI debuggers, and it's also easy to link with your python script.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: July 03, 2014, 09:45:40 pm »

Yes OS X is a unix-like system,

I don't understand why anyone would actually buy a mac, especially if you know enough about computers to program, he should have known better.

If you want OS X, you shouldn't buy mac, but instead reformat into OSX, you'll end up with a better computer for cheaper.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: July 03, 2014, 10:27:36 pm »

Okay, so before I get too far, I've got a few questions for whoever feels inclined to answer:
Is ncurses actually available for Windows?
How similar is pdcurses to ncurses? Would something explaining usage of ncurses being any use in learning the pdcurses library?

I've been poking around about using libraries, but I'm probably going to create inexplicable problems anyway, so stay tuned for billions of questions once I get started on that.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: July 03, 2014, 10:29:39 pm »

OSX is a better Python development environment than Windows. If a number of responses to "how do I Python on Windows" consist of "install Cygwin", you know something is wrong.

As for curses on Windows, PDCurses may or may not be adequate for what you want to do.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: July 03, 2014, 10:46:56 pm »

Well, as far as I can see, I'd like something to give me a good terminal or window, or whatever the proper name is, to run a roguelike in and an acceptable way to receive keyboard input in such a game. From there I'll see how far I can get on my own.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #6071 on: July 03, 2014, 11:03:12 pm »

Just use libtcod. Anything pdcurses can do, libtcod can do faster and simpler.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: July 03, 2014, 11:17:11 pm »

I suggest you learn a library,

for a roguelike like what you're doing, I'd suggest ncurses,
I'm running visual studio express with pdcurses for making a roguelike. It's not a bad option if you're on windows, it was extremely easy to set up.

Just use libtcod. Anything pdcurses can do, libtcod can do faster and simpler.
Yeah I'll probably switch to that later but I'd like to master curses first.

As to the PDcurses vs ncurses, there seems to be no separate documentation for PDcurses, I'm using ncurses documentation to do everything and have come across no problems, yet. I'm pretty sure PDcurses is just the equivalent ncurses library for windows, I at least didn't come across anyone promoting anything else when selecting it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:22:31 pm by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6073 on: July 04, 2014, 02:42:12 am »

OSX is a better Python development environment than Windows.
>:(

Well, okay, you have a valid point. But I refuse to let you get away with making such an outlandish claim.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: July 04, 2014, 06:11:44 am »

Yes OS X is a unix-like system,

I don't understand why anyone would actually buy a mac, especially if you know enough about computers to program, he should have known better.

If you want OS X, you shouldn't buy mac, but instead reformat into OSX, you'll end up with a better computer for cheaper.

Let's see:
1) The battery life on the MBA is absolutely excellent and it is something that I really need.
2) It is very lightweight without being some useless netbook, I travel a lot.
3) The computer is very fast, so it is comfortable to use.
4) I like the keyboard and I type a lot.
5) The screen is great
6) Since I travel a lot and spend a lot of time on the laptop in the bus or somewhere like that, the trackpad is absolutely excellent.

Fo me the hardware itself is important and while I do have an apple laptop, I will probably never own an apple desktop. And no, I will not reformat the mac.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 796