Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 886426 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #5295 on: December 23, 2013, 08:20:22 am »

How about android devices? IIRC they use Java natively.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: December 23, 2013, 08:41:05 am »

AFAIK only apps are written in (mostly) Java (checking wikipedia: yep, most of Android, including the Java-esque-API is in C), and I don't own any android devices, therefore there's still no use case in my life.

We also can't play Blu-rays because I threw out the last Blu-ray player we had. It had "powered by Java" written on the back.

Edit: Also, don't take this too seriously, this is a purely emotional reaction to Java, nothing rational about this :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: December 23, 2013, 09:03:39 am »

That's where Kivy and the like come in. Why write in Java when you can be awesome and use Python?

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: December 23, 2013, 09:36:17 am »

This has probably been answered a million times, but what would be the most useful language for me to learn as my first? A language that I can actually use to make some programs or some such. Also, what would be the best way for me to start learning it?

I'm thinking about either C++ or java.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5299 on: December 23, 2013, 09:43:52 am »

C# or Python are good first languages!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: December 23, 2013, 09:53:24 am »

This has probably been answered a million times, but what would be the most useful language for me to learn as my first? A language that I can actually use to make some programs or some such. Also, what would be the best way for me to start learning it?
Hmmm... C/C++ is too low-level and annoying for beginners, Java makes it really hard to write short programs, Perl is easy to learn but only good for text manipulation, Go isn't ripe yet, and Lua won't get you far learning-wise. I'd say you learn Python.

EDIT: I should probably learn Python myself one of these days.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: December 23, 2013, 09:54:43 am »

I second Skyrunner's C# suggestion. C# is so sleek. It's the best.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: December 23, 2013, 10:22:35 am »

If you're just starting, C# or python. I suck at either but they're great languages.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: December 23, 2013, 11:40:48 am »

So aside from Unity, what would be a good example for somewhere to start with C#?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: December 23, 2013, 12:24:29 pm »

Learn DM, hue.
(Seriously though, don't. DM is a good language for being incredibly simple and lazy, but not much byond that.)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: December 23, 2013, 10:05:49 pm »

I'd vote for Python, since it can very easily and succinctly be used to teach the basics of programming, without a lot of things having to be hand-waved.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: December 24, 2013, 12:28:33 am »

What are some good engines in Java for game programming?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: December 24, 2013, 03:03:07 am »

I can recommend LWJGL.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: December 24, 2013, 03:32:44 am »

I can recommend LWJGL.

I also like LWJGL. It's worth noting that Minecraft uses it.

I just found out about Sublime, and damn is it sexy.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: December 24, 2013, 08:30:17 pm »

So aside from Unity, what would be a good example for somewhere to start with C#?
MSDN. C# was created by Microsoft, and has amazing and extensive tutorials and guides on doing everything from learning the basics to writing netcode. MSDN is really well indexed in search engines, so if you want to do something, just do a google search for "C# msdn <topicname>"

Even if you don't know the exact name of the thing you're looking for, it's well indexed enough that you can probably find it within a minute or so. The documentation also has a lot of example code, and it of such quality that you really won't need any other reference material.

And to start out, here's the top search result for "C# msdn getting started" http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/a72418yk.aspx

This is also why C# would be recommendation for a first programming language. There's nothing quite like starting with a language with poor/scattered documentation to ruin your days.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 08:32:09 pm by alway »
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 796