Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 886436 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #5280 on: December 20, 2013, 04:40:43 am »

That keyboard had both a thumbs-up and a thumbs-down.

Why did keyboards evolve away from that?

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: December 20, 2013, 06:32:11 am »

> I used the FLTK library (which I had experience with from a class) to build a nice, small chess program.
Yeah, I hear you. Last time I compiled FLTK under MinGW, it took me 2 days to resolve everything and get it to a state where almost none of the examples crashed.

As for a missing library, try copying it to the same directory as executable. You might also want to test that program on some computer with relatively fresh Windows install, because some library will almost certainly be missing.

A major weakness of C++ is how small the standard library is. There are third party libraries for everything else, but they present all kinds of problems, even when they claim being portable. A big part of success of java and .NET is that they have huge standard libraries, with gui toolkits and everything. 

Also, how is it that under Linux things just work and under windows they don't?
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: December 20, 2013, 08:35:17 am »

Memorize exactly one command in vi[m] anyway:
:q!

"nano" or "notepad" are perfectly fine to get some really quick editing done in a pitch and one of them is now present almost everywhere.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: December 20, 2013, 08:37:27 am »

They both seem hard to learn to use. And I'm not sure of the benefits.

I'd recommend at least learning how to edit and save files with vi.  That's only 3-4 commands that you'll need to learn, and should cover almost any emergency situation in which you find yourself with a Linux terminal and no other way to edit a text file you need to modify.  There's not a lot of compelling reason to use vi for heavy duty editing given the alternatives readily available.  I don't know much about emacs, so I can't comment on it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5284 on: December 20, 2013, 08:41:15 am »

Git has basically forced me to learn how to edit and save files with Vim. :D

Basically, the only command I use is :wq.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 08:48:53 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #5285 on: December 20, 2013, 09:34:24 am »

Hell, I did the vast majority of my initial work on Cataclysm with nano, 's perfectly adequate.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: December 20, 2013, 11:21:56 am »

Wut? How is Vim necessary/good for Git?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5287 on: December 20, 2013, 11:28:48 am »

Git defaults to using vim, at least on windows. It does on my version of Linux Mint, too. And I'm too lazy to try to change it xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: December 20, 2013, 01:13:56 pm »

> I used the FLTK library (which I had experience with from a class) to build a nice, small chess program.
Yeah, I hear you. Last time I compiled FLTK under MinGW, it took me 2 days to resolve everything and get it to a state where almost none of the examples crashed.

As for a missing library, try copying it to the same directory as executable. You might also want to test that program on some computer with relatively fresh Windows install, because some library will almost certainly be missing.

A major weakness of C++ is how small the standard library is. There are third party libraries for everything else, but they present all kinds of problems, even when they claim being portable. A big part of success of java and .NET is that they have huge standard libraries, with gui toolkits and everything. 

Also, how is it that under Linux things just work and under windows they don't?

With Linux, installing gcc is simple. Just pull it from your favorite package manager. On Windows, you either have to use the clusterfuck that is MSVC, or use MinGW or Cygwin gcc, each of which comes with its own portability issues.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: December 20, 2013, 01:40:20 pm »

Git defaults to using vim, at least on windows. It does on my version of Linux Mint, too. And I'm too lazy to try to change it xD
Oooh, does Git start vim when you need to merge something? I wouldn't know about that, my repos are all solo and linear.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: December 20, 2013, 02:07:39 pm »

I guess it's a setting that I've got. When I need to merge, Git marks up the file telling what's in the current branch and what's in the branch I'm merging with and lets me open the file in my editor of choice to resolve it.

The only time Git uses my default editor is when I commit.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: December 20, 2013, 02:08:49 pm »

Oooh, does Git start vim when you need to merge something? I wouldn't know about that, my repos are all solo and linear.
I just use tortoisegit ;_;

(You still need Git Bash for some things like cherrypicking commits off branches that have been fucked up, and I think that brings up a vim-like window? I don't really know what emacs or vim even are :P)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: December 20, 2013, 04:29:54 pm »

The only time Git uses my default editor is when I commit.
That would be nano on my Linux Mint, and I didn't fiddle with any settings. Also you can skip that editor if you use the -m flag.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #5293 on: December 20, 2013, 04:49:08 pm »

C++ is not even close to the same domain and use cases as Java or C#.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: December 23, 2013, 08:15:12 am »

C++ is not even close to the same domain and use cases as Java or C#.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 796