Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 882397 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #4635 on: July 10, 2013, 02:25:10 pm »

Thanks. It's there if anyone wants to address it.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: July 10, 2013, 02:31:42 pm »

Most programmers do fairly little hacking of either variety - most are either design folks or maintenance folks. They'll dip their toes into a bit of language hacking, or something similar, but that's not the sort of hacking you're talking about AKA security hacking.

Of those that do security hacking, the vast majority are white hat because the vast majority are doing it to improve the security of systems they have built.

But most people here aren't security folks.

So I too am unsure what you're asking - if it's the kind of computer skills they are likely to have, usually systems-level stuff, lots of low level knowledge with a focus on eploits, some crypto, etc etc standard security stuff.

This is a programming and coding thread though which doesn't really have anything to do with security hackers, so... why ask here?

And for proficiency, a year of dedicated and studious application to progressively harder problems should be enough to become an effective coder, assuming you have a solid grounding in logic, and probably another few months to achieve that if you don't. Not a amazing master-level programmer, but an effective one, yes.

Most people are unwilling to dedicate a full year to that though, so three or four is more common for effectiveness.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 02:38:05 pm by GlyphGryph »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: July 10, 2013, 02:58:12 pm »

Thanks, you were nearest :P. I was just wondering about the difficulties involved, beyond the more standard (but by no means ineffective) stuff such as you might see here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlip7jZX9m0
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 11:16:10 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: July 10, 2013, 03:09:35 pm »

Thanks, you we're nearest :P. I was just wondering about the difficulties involved, beyond the more standard (but by no means ineffective) stuff such as you might see here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlip7jZX9m0
Oh wow that is hilarious. "You can decloak the Unix bytes with a concatenated what-loop".

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: July 10, 2013, 03:13:35 pm »

Thanks, you we're nearest :P. I was just wondering about the difficulties involved, beyond the more standard (but by no means ineffective) stuff such as you might see here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlip7jZX9m0

I don't have sound when I'm at work so I tried using the closed captions.  Pretty funny.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: July 10, 2013, 03:15:39 pm »

I don't have sound when I'm at work so I tried using the closed captions.  Pretty funny.   :P

Oh god hahahaha. Those captions. They are nothing like what is said. They are hilariously bad. That HAS to be on purpose ... but it says they are automatic? Hahah.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: July 10, 2013, 03:26:39 pm »

Oh my word. Look at these captions. This deserves nothing less then an archive bing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxSydh3ymhw
Reading a thinner book

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: July 10, 2013, 03:27:04 pm »

Oh god hahahaha. Those captions. They are nothing like what is said. They are hilariously bad. That HAS to be on purpose ... but it says they are automatic? Hahah.

Youtubes automatic captions are infamously shit (in a hilarious way).

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: July 10, 2013, 06:07:48 pm »

I was ecpecting NCIS when I clicked that link.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: July 11, 2013, 09:55:18 am »

This is what i get for funny's with my questions. At least you all know what I'm talking about :P. The question still stands, by the way.
Reading a thinner book

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: July 11, 2013, 10:56:53 am »

Er... I already answered it for you, though. So wouldn't it be closed now, rather than still standing?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: July 11, 2013, 11:12:48 am »

You've done a good job, but i would like more detail :P. Doesn't have to be a massive derail, but I'd like something reliable to read up on in detail to fill in on "standard security stuff". Thanks for the help. I'd also like to add that i appreciate the tutorials given here, which i hope to dig through. More!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 12:13:15 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: July 11, 2013, 11:45:14 am »

Rails? What are these rails of which you speak?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: July 11, 2013, 11:50:23 am »

It's a framework for using Ruby for web development, I believe.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: July 11, 2013, 11:58:42 am »

It's a framework for using Ruby for web development, I believe.

I may or may not post the next lesson in my C++ tutorial soon.
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 796