Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 882309 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #4605 on: July 06, 2013, 03:13:41 pm »

What's the output from ls?
More specifically, what's the output from ls in the left terminal? Because if your terminals have different users (paup and student), then you are actually in two different parsimony/ folders.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: July 06, 2013, 03:40:02 pm »

Also, your current directory might not be in your path, so you might have to do ./ before the file name to let it know "don't pull just from the path, this is for reals right here in this folder"

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: July 06, 2013, 03:50:13 pm »

paup is a program not a user. The output of ls is a list of stuff that is in the folder they're in (cd shows that those folders are the same).

I will try to do what GG suggested.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: July 06, 2013, 03:54:12 pm »

paup is a program not a user. The output of ls is a list of stuff that is in the folder they're in (cd shows that those folders are the same).

I will try to do what GG suggested.

What I was trying to say is, make sure that the file you're trying to exec is in the ls output.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: July 06, 2013, 04:03:37 pm »

Oh sorry. I tried that earlier but paup does not recognize ls.

I tried what GG suggested but that did not work. I will ask the same question on the actual forums for the course I am following, but if anyone else has a solution feel free to post it :D

This might make it a little more clear that, unless I'm mistaken, I really am working in the same folder.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:05:39 pm by Dutchling »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: July 06, 2013, 05:06:07 pm »

Befunge is the most fun because it is done in 3 or more dimensions (the Bequnge environment lets you code in 105 dimensions). And is self modifying.

2-Befunge was one of the first programming languages I ever tried to learn

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: July 06, 2013, 05:09:26 pm »

You... didn't actually try doing what I said, in the picture at least.

But yeah, if you're in an app it's practically guaranteed to be a path issue I think. Try the fullpath instead.

execute /home/student/parsimony/primate_mtDNA_interleaved.nexus
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 05:13:08 pm by GlyphGryph »

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: July 06, 2013, 08:05:00 pm »

I finally have a new programming project to work on. I'll be creating a computer version of BattleCry, a civil war battle boardgame published by AvalonHill and Hasbro in 2000. I will obviously not distribute it except to my uncle since it was his idea. Both because I'm barely a novice coder and because I don't know shit about copyright.

I'm currently in the design phase. Even just scribbling I see I'll need to do a shit tonne of stuff I haven't done before. It'll be a good journeyman piece.
I haven't done anything graphical before.
My first thought of how to implement a hexagon board involved wasting half the memory allocated.
I haven't done anything with networking.
I haven't done any AI.

This is the largest project I've ever started. The next largest was probably the tic-tac-toe state tree.
That's a large step you're taking there buddy. Which language are you using?

((please don't say C))
The tic-tac-toe thing was in C. It was the first language I used. This will almost certainly not be though.
It'll probably be C++ or Python. I haven't decided yet. Most of the stuff I've done recently has been TI-84BASIC so I'll need some brushing up in whichever I choose. No, I am not going to try to implement this on a TI-84, that would be insane.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: July 06, 2013, 08:10:34 pm »

I finally have a new programming project to work on. I'll be creating a computer version of BattleCry, a civil war battle boardgame published by AvalonHill and Hasbro in 2000. I will obviously not distribute it except to my uncle since it was his idea. Both because I'm barely a novice coder and because I don't know shit about copyright.

I'm currently in the design phase. Even just scribbling I see I'll need to do a shit tonne of stuff I haven't done before. It'll be a good journeyman piece.
My first thought of how to implement a hexagon board involved wasting half the memory allocated.
I haven't done any AI.

This is the largest project I've ever started. The next largest was probably the tic-tac-toe state tree.

((please don't say C))
The tic-tac-toe thing was in C. It was the first language I used. This will almost certainly not be though.
It'll probably be C++ or Python. I haven't decided yet. Most of the stuff I've done recently has been TI-84BASIC so I'll need some brushing up in whichever I choose. No, I am not going to try to implement this on a TI-84, that would be insane.

If you choose C++, I'd suggest using OpenGL and/or the QT framework. Java also wouldn't be a bad choice for this project.

And now I'm going to go dip my fingertips in acid for suggesting Java.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: July 06, 2013, 08:13:17 pm »

I haven't done any AI.

((please don't say C))

If you choose C++, I'd suggest using OpenGL and/or the QT framework. Java also wouldn't be a bad choice for this project.

And now I'm going to go dip my fingertips in acid for suggesting Java.
I have no experience with programming in Java. From everything I've heard, I want no experience with programming in Java.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4615 on: July 07, 2013, 11:03:34 am »

Java's not the world's worst language as a starter language, lately I've been thinking the issues are related to direction.

Every time a new feature comes up (like Closures) that is useful for writing actual software cleanly and efficiently, I always see people argue it makes the language more complex and difficult to teach. But if it's supposed to be a teaching language, why is it being used in the real world? Why are people doing serious work with it? And these features, from the point of view of such programmers doing real work, will find these new features greatly simplify their code whilst also making it more expressive. It's why they want them.

It's why I hold C# as Java done right as a language, it's all about being useful for real work and any teachability is just a welcome side-effect. And so anything that will make real work both easier and also more expressive is to be welcomed.

Also, for anybody interested in clean coding: Watch these videos. Watch all of them.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: July 07, 2013, 11:26:24 am »

Pff...

"clean coding" just means that you're replaceable as a programmer.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: July 07, 2013, 11:30:25 am »

Indeed. Your code should be as baffling and obfuscated as possible so that you're irreplaceable.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4618 on: July 07, 2013, 01:11:15 pm »

I know that was a joke but still, that is actually an attitude some developers have.

Really this means you'll be working on the same, horrible thing every day until the day you die or the company collapses. Never getting promoted, never moving on, never learning, and just making your life and everybody who works with you lives less baring. And eventually, when it all goes wrong and they realise it was your fault, you'll get the sack and be unable to get a reference.

People like that are in the wrong career, wasting the opportunity a professional crafts career like programming offers: To be able to enjoy your work, instead of just working to live. Suicide in slow motion.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 01:16:16 pm by MorleyDev »

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: July 07, 2013, 01:36:39 pm »

Indeed. Your code should be as baffling and obfuscated as possible so that you're irreplaceable.

Live by this.
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 796