Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 882917 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #4155 on: March 09, 2013, 03:02:05 am »

Meanwhile, I'm struggling through the C that comprises OpenGL. I cannot understand many of the decisions, including the void* everywhere part. ;_; Also, vector errors going BLARGGHH, the sound Visual Studio makes when it finds an exception.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: March 09, 2013, 03:07:52 am »

Yea, I'm fucking around with it too right now... Not as bad as people made it out to be, but could be less painful.
Not sure how, as it is made in c and therefor object aren't a thing, but ah well.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4157 on: March 09, 2013, 03:17:32 am »

... o_o

I've made no progress at all. ;_; From what I've had so far, it seems that my vectors and flipping out OR I do not have a gpu compatible with the openCL I have. And any attempts to figure out which version I have are being thwarted. :( I feel really down. >_> Wasted time always feels so horrible.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: March 09, 2013, 03:21:39 am »

I'm 90% sure I fail to understand what I'm doing.
When I load a texture, it is suddenly binded without binding, then when I try ti bind it, it unbinds... Tempted to going back to drawing right now.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4159 on: March 09, 2013, 03:23:51 am »

So, no-one knowledgeable in OpenCL here to help out? D: Nuu...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: March 09, 2013, 03:26:08 am »

Magma is good with this sort of stuff. I do systems analysis, not anything useful.  :P
Still, cross your fingers and hope he shows up.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4161 on: March 09, 2013, 04:46:02 am »

Progress. I just want to say that I love C++ bindings ;_; It makes all the difference. The biggest help they have is (1) preventing corruption of memory (2) letting me use vector and string for all that stuff.

My video card has a name of Juniper. :D It has only one more parallel core compared to my CPU, and it has a slower clock speed, but it has a pretty comparable memory, only 1/2, and it supports huge 2D images. On the other hand, the smaller parameter size... Interestingly, there's no global cache for the GPU.

My time has pretty much run out today ;_; At least I figured out why it wasn't working before, I think.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: March 09, 2013, 10:42:02 am »

Your GPU is optimized for matrix manipulation though, which means that even a single core can do in one swath what a CPU would need a lot of steps for.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: March 09, 2013, 11:11:15 am »

There's always GPU Caps Viewer to check what your graphics card is capable of. Including some advanced OpenGL and CL demos/tests.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4164 on: March 09, 2013, 11:33:11 am »

Your GPU is optimized for matrix manipulation though, which means that even a single core can do in one swath what a CPU would need a lot of steps for.
I know XD It's also good for simultaneous vector operations, with each work unit doing the exact same operations as the one next to it and the one next to that. And it can handle multiple calculations in one tick, I think. Finally, low clock != slower speed. o.o
Image buffers get free interpolation support, but first I need to get it working with normal buffers.

There's always GPU Caps Viewer to check what your graphics card is capable of. Including some advanced OpenGL and CL demos/tests.
I went and had fun with all the getDeviceInfo parameters. >_<~ C++ bindings horray~ :D I might even get something done by the next session of programming.

I have a problem, though. Is the program not working on other computers normal? :/ I have all the dlls, too, and it's the exact same OS (Win7 Enterprise K), but it has either a malformed program error popup, or a memory address could not be something popup error. I tried it on a Polish Win7, the one used in Australia, a Philippine WinXP, and a Swedish one, too. All had either one of those errors :I

It works fine on my own PC. >_>

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: March 09, 2013, 12:03:02 pm »

I have a problem, though. Is the program not working on other computers normal? :/ I have all the dlls, too, and it's the exact same OS (Win7 Enterprise K), but it has either a malformed program error popup, or a memory address could not be something popup error. I tried it on a Polish Win7, the one used in Australia, a Philippine WinXP, and a Swedish one, too. All had either one of those errors :I

It works fine on my own PC. >_>

Hard to tell without the actual error messages (or the program).

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4166 on: March 09, 2013, 12:04:36 pm »

dropbox
A few dlls and a exe. Windows 32 bit.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: March 09, 2013, 12:29:54 pm »

Hmm, your program calls clRetainDevice and clReleaseDevice, but I can't find those (at least not exported) in the OpenCL.dll that you included or the one I have from Nvidia.

Could be you're linking to an openCL.lib that doesn't match the dll?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4168 on: March 09, 2013, 12:32:18 pm »

Does Windows automatically link to dlls hidden somewhere in your system files? I ran the program as-is, unzipped into a folder, which worked for me.
I think I have the SDK installed, but that's it. The SDK for AMD, and AMD's catalyst driver.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: March 09, 2013, 12:53:15 pm »

Does Windows automatically link to dlls hidden somewhere in your system files?
Sooort of.
I don't think Windows forces any links, but I've noticed that dlls linked in a program's directory can be moved out of that directory and into system32 and it will still be found and loaded just the same.
I've never actually linked a dll in a C++ program so I'm not clear on the spesifics of how they get loaded in, but I do know that the actual location of the dll isn't all that important, and that the actual program's location takes priority over any other directory like system32 or that crazy dll versioning system.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 796