Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 883167 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #4065 on: March 05, 2013, 01:03:29 am »

Oh my god Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express is completely and utterly refusing to work god damn.

I also feeling like sending my source code to other people to compile may be... inefficient.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: March 05, 2013, 01:05:44 am »

Visual studio is what we often refer to as 'The shizzle'
Does the free version still not have predictions on? I know the c# version comes with it. Seriously, if you think it is nice now, you should try it when you don't even have to type anything, it just knows what you want.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: March 05, 2013, 01:26:55 am »

Oh my god Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express is completely and utterly refusing to work god damn.

I also feeling like sending my source code to other people to compile may be... inefficient.

I have highlighted your problem. If you get the free version of a paid product, you're probably getting crap quality. I recommend CodeBlocks (comes with MinGW).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: March 05, 2013, 01:51:05 am »

Already using code::blocks. Trying to get into DFhack; this is a road::block.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 01:52:59 am by Putnam »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4069 on: March 05, 2013, 02:51:36 am »

I have highlighted your problem. If you get the free version of a paid product, you're probably getting crap quality. I recommend CodeBlocks (comes with MinGW).
What kind of problems are there in VS 2010 express? o_O

... not that I use it. :D VS 2010 Ultimate, whoo.

So... in Information class in my high school, the teacher announced that we will be learning the language that will serve as a gateway to all other computer languages. C! Whoo.

Well, that's good, but the problem is he continued to talk about the woes of Visual Studio 2010 licensing, over 200$ for a personal copy and 100$ for school copies. I was internally going "what?!" when he said the school used 3000$ on thirty copies of VS 2010... Why not Code::blocks? :C If I'm not reading the terms of use incorrectly, it's freely usable by anyone.

Also, I mentally did a double take when he said that "with luck, we'll be learning conditionals by the end of the first semester!". O_o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: March 05, 2013, 02:56:42 am »

Why not Code::blocks? :C If I'm not reading the terms of use incorrectly, it's freely usable by anyone.
This is something that confounds every single software guy, and not a single accounting guy, on the face on the earth.
When you pay a few thousand for your software licences, one of the things you are buying is a warranty. They get an assurance that the software will do what it says it will do, and if it doesn't there is a support system in place to help you. Free software doesn't offer that. They just say that if it does what you want, cool, otherwise not something we have to worry about.

This is pretty much why accounting software is so darn expensive. It is easy enough to actually program, but if there is just a tiny error there can be hell to pay. So you also buy support and insurance when you buy the program.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: March 05, 2013, 02:58:43 am »

Remember that platformer I made? Here's the source. The OpenGL calls are slightly scrambled (this was a bottom-up project), but should be easy to read.
Where, might I ask, did you get your texture decoder? It seems your project was missing two libraries, lwjgl, which I already had lying about, and what ever is doing all dem preddy pictures.
Oops, I forgot that I linked the libraries externally. Here's the PNG reader.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: March 05, 2013, 02:59:56 am »

Thanks.
Now, time to lock myself in a room for two months. Call loved ones, friends and colleges, I feel a fell mood coming on.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4073 on: March 05, 2013, 03:14:44 am »

Why not Code::blocks? :C If I'm not reading the terms of use incorrectly, it's freely usable by anyone.
This is something that confounds every single software guy, and not a single accounting guy, on the face on the earth.
When you pay a few thousand for your software licences, one of the things you are buying is a warranty. They get an assurance that the software will do what it says it will do, and if it doesn't there is a support system in place to help you. Free software doesn't offer that. They just say that if it does what you want, cool, otherwise not something we have to worry about.

This is pretty much why accounting software is so darn expensive. It is easy enough to actually program, but if there is just a tiny error there can be hell to pay. So you also buy support and insurance when you buy the program.
But... D: The compiler itself is the same as any other IDE. And the compiler is what creates errors. :<

Not that I'm complaining about VS 2010. I like that IDE. xD I do think that most of its abilities are wasted on making small C programs that are expected to have little more than a few conditional statements... >_>

Thanks.
Now, time to lock myself in a room for two months. Call loved ones, friends and colleges, I feel a fell mood coming on.
o_O?!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: March 05, 2013, 03:18:09 am »

I started some of the sprite sheets earlier today. Still needs a lot of detail, but you get the idea.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: March 05, 2013, 03:20:34 am »

Already using code::blocks. Trying to get into DFhack; this is a road::block.
This is exactly what stopped me from getting into DFhack. It took me quite a while to get Code::blocks to do what I want it to do (compile this using that, link that statically and that one dynamically, recompile that, don't link this, and then use this completely randomly chosen bunch of compiler flags because they're fun), and VS made me feel like that all over again. Fuck that.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: March 05, 2013, 03:34:44 am »

and C::B doesn't have C++11

I'm having a dumb problem banging my head against the wall, it SHOULD work, why doesn't it  ::RAAAAGGEEE::  I'll figure it out though, it's to complex of a thing to post here, just venting.

Also, I'd like to request a quick tut on vectors, if someone would be so kind.
I need to create a dynamic data array using a user entered value for the size,
And I know this can't be done using arrays, but I've heard some things about vectors.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: March 05, 2013, 03:37:41 am »

Now that you mention it I do believe itjust ignores some of the new C++0x syntax, but it's just an IDE, and I use quite a few of the new C++0x features without any problems.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: March 05, 2013, 04:10:40 am »

I'm having a dumb problem banging my head against the wall, it SHOULD work, why doesn't it  ::RAAAAGGEEE::  I'll figure it out though, it's to complex of a thing to post here, just venting.

And I know this can't be done using arrays, but I've heard some things about vectors.

If someone hasn't done this by the next time I check this thread, I'll do a mini-lesson on STL containers.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: March 05, 2013, 04:24:01 am »

Here's a documentation. It's rather obtuse, so here's a basic breakdown of all the things you are likely to need in your program:
Code: [Select]
#include <vector>
#include <iostream>

class Type;

Vector<Type> vec();   // A vector that can store objects of type Type. Replace Type with the type of stuff you want the vector to store
Vector<int> intVec();   // A vector of integers
Vector<Vector<bool>> boolVecVec();   // A vector of vector of booleans. Note that Vector<bool> is also a type, as well as Vector<Vector<bool>>
intVec.push_back(3);   // intVec now contains 3
intVec.push_back(5);   // intVec now contains 3 and 5
Vector<float> aFloatVec(4, 123.0f);   // aFloatVec contains 123.0f, 123.0f, 123.0f, and 123.0f
aFloatVec.clear();   // aFloatVec is now empty
for (int i = 0; i < intVec.size(); i++) {
  cout << intVec[i] << endl;
}   // Prints 3 and 5
for (Vector<int>::iterator i = intVec.begin(); i != intVec.end(); i++) {
  cout << *i << endl;
}   // Prints 3 and 5 too
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:25:55 am by MagmaMcFry »
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 796