Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 884142 times)

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #3645 on: January 10, 2013, 06:34:57 pm »

well the main error is that the second sprite refuses to draw even if you set a specific location on screen when creating it.

as for the moving faster thats probably due to the crappy code that was attempting to keep sprite 2 above sprite 1 ( think how mario is 2 sprites tall)

Yes i have a debugger on fce ultra to step the code
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: January 10, 2013, 07:22:10 pm »

You don't need to do anything special to keep sprite 2 above sprite 1, you're already setting the position of sprite 2 explicitly in the beginning of the loop. Besides, you're also using the same sprite for 1 and 2, but that's probably for testing purposes?

You could trying to step through the code and keep track of sprite 2's position, see if it's being set properly.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: January 11, 2013, 10:09:29 am »

<shamelessSelfPromotion>
More erosion simulation videos! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCshxaa_sYs

And with the graphics update I added last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5t-aKt9ZkQ
</shamelessSelfPromotion>
So, the difference between the hideously terrible looking water and the awesome shiny water?
Very simple changes to the shader.
The first change was making the water's color more closely resemble that of the sky/clear color.
The second change was adding a color gradient to the water based on depth; an easy enough change, as it just takes water depth into account, blending the colors accordingly with a simple linear equation.
The final change was specular reflection, which is what makes it shiny.
And that's the only difference between pretty shiny water and blue flow-y stuff.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: January 11, 2013, 10:26:02 am »

Wow, that is a big difference. Looks pretty awesome, what are you going to do with it?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: January 11, 2013, 02:23:49 pm »

I really need to learn to start leaving more notes in my code,
started working on something I hadn't touched in about 2 months, and it's a headache figuring out what the hell I was thinking.

P.S. it's shitty programming without a mouse, and I may be looking for a new artist here soon, as I haven't been in contact with my current artist for about a month or two and he's not responding to emails / msg's, (I would do the art but I'm mouse-less atm and it's pixel stuff)

also, Alway, that's looking rather sexy, nice improvement.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 02:58:08 pm by Valid_Dark »
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #3650 on: January 14, 2013, 07:17:29 pm »

Working on creating my own Unit Testing and Mocking framework (none of the existing C++ ones match what I want).

So far what I have seems alright. It's based on a BDD-like "Given-When-Then-Finally" format where you define a test as

Given A
- When B
-- Then C
-- Then D
-- Then E
- When F
-- Then G
- Finally H
Given I
-- Then J

Which would call the logic for:
Given A When B Then C Finally H
Given A When B Then D Finally H
Given A When B Then E Finally H
Given A When F Then G Finally H
Given I Then J

The idea is to allow for a more natural "Arrange-Act-Assert" style to tests, whilst allowing to add a Tear Down step (finally). The idea is to make it so that Tests can be nicely formatted but it's loose enough to be very flexible, whilst actual BDD tends to be too strict about things for my likings. There may need to be a step tearing down each When, like how Finally tears down the Givens, but I'm a bit conflicted on that one. Maybe if a scenario where I need that appears...

The only thing required here is the Then, if you skip the Given or When or Finally it's treated as if those steps had logic that did nothing. The test defines the requirements for the class more in programmer terms than in managerial terms (which BDD tends to do if you ask me).

Combine it with a recreation of Nunits "natural language" style Assert.That(X, Is.SomePredicate) (here rendered as AssertThat(X, ut11::Is::SomePredicate)) and I'm kinda satisfied with what I managed to squeeze out of C++11, at least for the moment. It's a lot less Macro heavy than most testing frameworks, which is pleasing. It should work fine in GCC 4.7+ (since that's what I developed and tested it with), and may work with the November CDT for 2012 since that brought the main missing feature, Variadic Templates, into play. But VS2012 is not something I've tried.

The mocking "framework" in it needs love and me to figure out a neatish way of handling it. What's there...works-ish? For now at least. Mocking in C++ is bloody tricky stuff because of the lack of reflection. Whilst there are some libraries out there, such as Google Mock, they are all too "Expectations Up Front" for my liking (Asserting the right parameters were passed comes in the Assert step, not during the Arrange or Act, which would be where Google Mock puts it).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 07:30:59 pm by MorleyDev »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3651 on: January 17, 2013, 06:11:26 am »

On Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate, sometimes compiling and building takes so very long, much longer than it should. For example, changing a single line of code in a cpp file takes a minute or longer to build. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of problem? A quick google search didn't turn up anything helpful — most question-askers were using some sort of external extension or utility to aid their building, that interfered with msvc. Mine has no extensions at all.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: January 17, 2013, 06:36:26 am »

If you put a lot of #includes in your header files, and especially if you haven't used header guards, the compiler will spend a lot of time parsing instead of compiling.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3653 on: January 17, 2013, 06:46:51 am »

Are header guards #ifdef #endif, instead of #pragma once?
Also: should #includes be in the cpp files instead? o_O I thought they were supposed to be all put in the cpp files...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: January 17, 2013, 07:18:22 am »

Either works.

Also: should #includes be in the cpp files instead? o_O I thought they were supposed to be all put in the cpp files...

Best practice is to put #includes in the .cpp, to minimise file reads. If you put lots of #includes in a .h, then every file that includes that .h will also have to process the contained #includes as well. Header guards help, but there's still overhead.

If you have pointer member variables in a class, use forward declaration in the .h and include in the .cpp. Anything that's only used locally in the cpp should also only be included in the cpp.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: January 18, 2013, 02:00:03 am »

Either works.

Sort of. Most standards-conforming compilers (once again, MSVS is not included) are phasing out #pragma once. That is, if they even supported it to begin with, since #pragma is a compiler-specific directive. So while #pragma once may work now on the compiler you're using, it may not work on other compilers, and will not work at some point in the future. The #ifndef/#define/#endif idiom is universally supported, and is not going away anytime soon, so it's a much better practice.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: January 18, 2013, 05:34:52 am »

#pragma once is supported by most compilers, is faster on some of them, and will not be deprecated in the foreseeable future.
It's a lot less typing and less error-prone, so using it is less practice and makes life easier ;)

So yeah, you can use either.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: January 18, 2013, 05:59:53 pm »

I was wondering if anyone else is into AI?

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #3658 on: January 19, 2013, 01:50:52 am »

* GalenEvil raises hand in regards to Immortal's question
I am very much into AI. It's about half of my current programming work :D The other half is mostly PCG stuff and random other things that I am contracted to do hehe
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: January 19, 2013, 03:29:33 am »

A new semester has begun. Two new compsci classes have appeared. A new (old) challenger steps forward.

Visual Basic (lolno)

C! Not C++, but C! I have a compsci course that uses C as its programming language. And, the more I use it, the more I realize that I take C++ features for granted, and when I don't have them anymore, I'm much slower at coding.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 796