Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 886225 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #3300 on: October 30, 2012, 06:30:42 am »

Dropbox is by far the best way to share collections of bytes to people. Put a file in your Public folder, right click --> Dropbox --> Copy public link, paste link. Much easier than going through some ad infested file sharing website.
Too late, I used Mediafire already. Next time, Dropbox.

Here's the game.
The game is quite raw at the moment, but the physics are up already. The level is basically a demo of the physics engine.

Controls: Left/Right/Up to left/right/jump, Down to reset position (debug feature), Lshift to run, Space to fire.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3301 on: October 30, 2012, 06:36:18 am »

I don't understand what's going on... so many flashy colors and shapes and flickering

I can't show you in a screenshot, because it just seems to be frames rapidly changing, but what happens is that pressing "right" makes me warp to some spongy pink structure, and pressing "up" makes me flicker up and down.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: October 30, 2012, 06:44:34 am »

Wow, it's actually pretty good! I was suprised!

I assume the pink area goes on roughly forever, though. :P

A few problems I noticed:
You forgot to make the jar executable. Easy enough to fix, though, just a byte change in properties, just something to keep in mind.
Can't jump properly when next to walls. Presumably due to friction, but INCREDIBLY annoying.
The bouncy platforms are honestly pretty unreliable - it never really felt like I was in control of making a big bounce happen. Also the bottom platform bounced me higher than the top could.
"Climbing" single walls - is this intentional? It seems to be the only way to make it up to the accelerator platform. It looks like you want us to jump from wall to wall, but that's actually impossible.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: October 30, 2012, 07:25:52 am »

I assume the pink area goes on roughly forever, though. :P
It's 1000 blocks wide, and I did that to test for any slowdown (which shouldn't even exist, due to collision and rendering optimizations).

You forgot to make the jar executable. Easy enough to fix, though, just a byte change in properties, just something to keep in mind.
Oops, missed that.

Can't jump properly when next to walls. Presumably due to friction, but INCREDIBLY annoying.
Just let go of left/right, it shouldn't be a problem if the walls aren't accelerating.

The bouncy platforms are honestly pretty unreliable - it never really felt like I was in control of making a big bounce happen. Also the bottom platform bounced me
higher than the top could.
That's the jump code: you jump if you are pressing the jump key while pushing against something (and haven't jumped before using the same keypress). Just hold down Jump while you're bouncing and you'll do a big bounce. Also, the "lower trampoline bouncing you higher" thing is because the lower trampoline has higher bounciness.

"Climbing" single walls - is this intentional? It seems to be the only way to make it up to the accelerator platform. It looks like you want us to jump from wall to wall, but that's actually impossible.
I built those walls to test wall-jumping, but you need to be really fast with the jump button if you want to zig-zag (I can't do that either). Also, the accelerator platform is actually only a platform with greatly reduced friction, but the player has no acceleration limit while on the ground. I'll have to get around that somehow.

Here's an alternate version without the one-jump-per-press restriction. You can zig-zag now, but it's horrible to use in the static tilemap (the non-moving pink thing).

I don't understand what's going on... so many flashy colors and shapes and flickering

I can't show you in a screenshot, because it just seems to be frames rapidly changing, but what happens is that pressing "right" makes me warp to some spongy pink structure, and pressing "up" makes me flicker up and down.

I put an FPS cap in the updated version. Try that one out.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: October 30, 2012, 07:35:07 am »

Just let go of left/right, it shouldn't be a problem if the walls aren't accelerating.

No left/right pressed, actually. It seems simply being next to the wall is enough - I sort of expected it to only trigger when pressing into the wall. This was in the pink area when I noticed though, and the walls do seem to be moving there. That might be it.

As for the trampolines, that is also what I expected - but not what happened. Holding jump seemed like it would jump me randomly over the next five bounces or so. Not sure what's going on there.

So the ability to climb single walls by repeatedly holding towards the wall and pressing jump is intentional, then?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: October 30, 2012, 07:51:51 am »

No left/right pressed, actually. It seems simply being next to the wall is enough - I sort of expected it to only trigger when pressing into the wall. This was in the pink area when I noticed though, and the walls do seem to be moving there. That might be it.
The pink area with the large squares rotates slowly, just to see if the physics handler is able to handle that.

As for the trampolines, that is also what I expected - but not what happened. Holding jump seemed like it would jump me randomly over the next five bounces or so. Not sure what's going on there.
Me neither. Works perfectly for me.

So the ability to climb single walls by repeatedly holding towards the wall and pressing jump is intentional, then?

I have yet to decide if I want that to work, although the wall-kicking ability itself will be a power-up.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: October 30, 2012, 08:14:04 am »

Can't get it to run, something about an executable bit on the jar or something. Fucking Java.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: October 30, 2012, 08:23:04 am »

Can't get it to run, something about an executable bit on the jar or something. Fucking Java.
Code: [Select]
###$ java -jar game.jar

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: October 30, 2012, 08:32:21 am »

Ah, that works. The wall-kicking jump is more powerful then one from the floor, making it more like playing pinball :) Smooth gameplay, but the jumping is... weird. Also random: sometimes a jump will launch me way faster than other times, even when going from standing from still on a flat surface both times.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: October 30, 2012, 08:51:44 am »

Siquo, you can also right click the jar file and click "executable file" to toggle the bit yourself. Then you can just run it normally.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: October 30, 2012, 09:31:32 am »

That works, too. I did manage the wall-jump-up though. The trick is to not press left/right, just up, and enter the shaft with enough x-velocity. You can also climb vertical walls by repeatedly pressing up (holding up won't work) and right (or left), using just a little bit of that friction to stop your downwards velocity.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: October 30, 2012, 10:26:05 am »

That works, too. I did manage the wall-jump-up though. The trick is to not press left/right, just up, and enter the shaft with enough x-velocity. You can also climb vertical walls by repeatedly pressing up (holding up won't work) and right (or left), using just a little bit of that friction to stop your downwards velocity.
I guess you tried the updated version. Try the Shift key, it makes wallclimbing so much easier.

By the way, I put the one-jump-per-press behavior back, and actually managed the zig-zag. Takes some practice, but works. Also, I fixed the FPS issue for good now.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: October 30, 2012, 11:24:42 am »

I'm doing trying to do a physics-jumper myself right now, so I'll be stealing your ideas watching your progress  ;)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: October 30, 2012, 11:29:28 am »

I can give you the terrain collision system if you need it, it's incredibly simple and flexible.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: October 30, 2012, 11:54:51 am »

I can give you the terrain collision system if you need it, it's incredibly simple and flexible.
Using Box2D for that, and actually just finished that part. Currently implementing graphics with SFML, whenever I feel like coding :P

Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 796