Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 887897 times)

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #2730 on: July 31, 2012, 07:54:29 pm »

I figure this is as good a place for any for this:
I just had my first coding semester this year, learning C. I immediately wanted to start learning game programming, so managed to write an ASCII version of Pong. This summer, I've been teaching myself Java in order to write more and better games, but so far have got as far as writing Pong again. I don't really know where to go/how to proceed with programming a full blown game. I mean, I have tonnes of ideas, but haven't the faintest idea where to start for all but the simple text-based ones. Any advise?
Thanks.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: July 31, 2012, 08:00:40 pm »

Alright Elvin, how much do you know about programming exactly? If you have a reasonably good grasp of the fundamentals (program structure, control statements, basic data types), then for making graphical programs in C I would recommend SDL.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: July 31, 2012, 08:04:03 pm »

Eww, Code Blocks. +At least it's better than Visual Studio, I suppose.

I haven't found a c++ IDE I'd say is universally awesome. I use some wacky one last updated in 2005, and a friend of mine uses the Qt IDE even for projects that don't use Qt. Code Blocks is widely used and you can get a lot of support for it, so it'd probably the best, despite me not really liking the interface.

I haven't done large projects in a while, but when I did in the past, C::B was my tool of choice. Now, since I'm doing a lot of smaller stuff, I use Geany. I've also been playing around with QTCreator, but I haven't decided if I like it yet.

I figure this is as good a place for any for this:
I just had my first coding semester this year, learning C. I immediately wanted to start learning game programming, so managed to write an ASCII version of Pong. This summer, I've been teaching myself Java in order to write more and better games, but so far have got as far as writing Pong again. I don't really know where to go/how to proceed with programming a full blown game. I mean, I have tonnes of ideas, but haven't the faintest idea where to start for all but the simple text-based ones. Any advise?
Thanks.

Alright Elvin, how much do you know about programming exactly? If you have a reasonably good grasp of the fundamentals (program structure, control statements, basic data types), then for making graphical programs in C I would recommend SDL.

Like RulerOfNothing said, take a look at SDL. Read through the documentation. Every time you see something you think you can use, bookmark it. Then, when you have a feel for the tools, go crazy with ideas. Maybe start small by trying to program a game you are very familiar with, but isn't too complex. Both the NES and SNES had some great games that could probably be programmed in high-level languages today without much difficulty.

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: July 31, 2012, 08:06:05 pm »

I *think* I understand the fundamentals you've mentioned, but my only formal education has been based entirely on running numbers ( the C course was for my Physics degree), or for basic tutorials I've found for Java.

I wrote the Java version of Pong in the Slick2D library, which itself is an extention of the Lightweight Java Game Library, the one that Minecraft is written in.

I'll take a look at SDL, can't hurt, but is there some more general advise about where to go from where I am, without learning a new library?

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: July 31, 2012, 08:14:41 pm »

I *think* I understand the fundamentals you've mentioned, but my only formal education has been based entirely on running numbers ( the C course was for my Physics degree), or for basic tutorials I've found for Java.

I can't really help you much there, since the only formal education I've had in programming (so far, I start in college as a CompSci major in 3 weeks) is taking AP Computer Science in high school *after* teaching myself and messing around for 2 years.

I'll take a look at SDL, can't hurt, but is there some more general advise about where to go from where I am, without learning a new library?

With just C (or even C++), if you want to do anything beyond ASCII console games without learning a new library, you are going to be reinventing the steam engine with a pile of sticks.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: July 31, 2012, 08:20:54 pm »

With just C (or even C++), if you want to do anything beyond ASCII console games without learning a new library, you are going to be reinventing the steam engine with a pile of sticks.

QFT

also, here is a good series of SDL tutorials

http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: July 31, 2012, 08:23:25 pm »

I'm a fan of reinventing steam engines myself, but graphics is one you definitely do not want to do that with. SDL is great for beginners, and lazyfoo's tutorials are exactly what I started with.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: July 31, 2012, 08:37:11 pm »

I'm a fan of reinventing steam engines myself, but graphics is one you definitely do not want to do that with. SDL is great for beginners, and lazyfoo's tutorials are exactly what I started with.

It's even more fun to make your own cold fusion reactors that don't make any logical sense but work like they're supposed to. That's about what I akin my latest programming project to.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: July 31, 2012, 08:40:57 pm »

Just curious Mego, what exactly is your latest project?

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: July 31, 2012, 08:43:07 pm »

Interpreted C++. With symbol/function tables and everything. And smaller than CINT. Right now, it's looking like I can get it all done in just a few header files, without too much confusion. No libraries to link against. Not much mangling of code needed. Just basic callback functions (of the void* fn(void* arg); variety).

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: July 31, 2012, 09:40:30 pm »

also, here is a good series of SDL tutorials

http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php

thanks bro, doing these now!

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: August 01, 2012, 10:35:16 am »

That's why I've been learning Java. What I was more looking for was some suggestion of a method to use to make the jump from Pong to a larger game.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: August 01, 2012, 03:01:24 pm »

That's why I've been learning Java. What I was more looking for was some suggestion of a method to use to make the jump from Pong to a larger game.
Blegh, java. :)

I guess you should read up on the source of some simple games, and see how they did it/handled problems. Perhaps start with a roguelike?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: August 02, 2012, 06:47:19 am »

so a little over a week ago, I started working on a tile-based map editor in c++,
I'm doing the whole thing in SDL, GUI and all, and if I had realized how much time it was going to take to make a whole program gui (menus/dropdown menus/ loading/saving etc.) I would have just learned a windows api.  I've spent more time programming the GUI so far than I have the actual functional/useful pieces of the program.  Ohh well, the program is going swimmingly, the main thing I've learned so far is that I need to learn how to use classes and objects better, but whatevs, after I finish this i'm going to work on learning them really good.  It's about 1,500 lines of code long so far, and I estimate it will be about 3 - 4k when it's finished.
I'll throw a picture or two up here tomorrow probably (i'm about to go to sleep, or I would right now)
I've been working 1 - 4 hours a day on it, for about 10 days.
Just thought I'd let you guys know what I'm working on.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: August 02, 2012, 06:50:45 am »

Ugh, GUIs. I feel your pain, man. I'm making an editor right now, and using Qt's stuff to do it, and it's still hell.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 796