Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 881868 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #2325 on: May 01, 2012, 12:16:40 pm »

Unfortunately, every single external link I've tried so far (a handful) has been dead.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: May 01, 2012, 06:38:40 pm »

Unfortunately, every single external link I've tried so far (a handful) has been dead.

Check your DNS servers.  Possibly try the Google DNS servers or some other alternative.  The links are working fine for me, anyway.

Somehow despite posting it elsewhere on these forums, I haven't yet posted a really handy resource here: http://vterrain.org/
Thanks for that, I guess about 50% of this thread's readers is has a project with terrain in some form :)

No kidding.  This is useful for virtually all of us.  Great find from alway!

http://vterrain.org/
I love you forever.  Once I get to planets, this is going to be my best friend.

Anything with multiple planets is something I'm looking forward to seeing.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #2327 on: May 01, 2012, 10:04:08 pm »

I have a good link :D free character modeling and landscape modeling software at http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d/free-3d-software-overview Daz3D + Hexagon + Bryce = epic win on professional grade software that is only a few years old! Just got it today and been playing with it since then :)

(and then two hours later)...EDIT!!!

Would anyone play a game where you are a non-Newtonian amorphous blob (I guess made out of cornstarch and water?) that propels itself around and has to bounce its way through a level? The catch is that you can't stop or you stop being a semi-solid object and die. DUN DUN DUN!!!! I'm not sure on the actual gameplay that I'd want to put into it but sorta like a platformer-type game?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 12:04:57 am by GalenEvil »
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: May 02, 2012, 12:28:23 am »

I can assure you that people will be interested in the concept.  You'll still need good execution, though.  Carefully think about your audience.  Who are they?  What are they like?  Would they prefer a browser-based flash game?  Or an installed local game?  I think similar concept have been done before, so differentiate yourself.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: May 02, 2012, 12:33:02 am »

There is already a game in which you play as an amorphous blob that propels itself around a sorta-platformer level. The only difference is that you don't turn solid and die if you stop moving.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: May 02, 2012, 12:34:33 am »

Like I said, been done.  How do you plan to differentiate yourself?  Death if you stop moving really isn't much of a differentiation.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: May 02, 2012, 12:38:02 am »

I have a good link :D free character modeling and landscape modeling software at http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d/free-3d-software-overview Daz3D + Hexagon + Bryce = epic win on professional grade software that is only a few years old! Just got it today and been playing with it since then :)
*spit-take*
$400+ software? For free?! Damn, I'm gonna have to get in on that, even if this isn't the best computer for the job. I'll just burn the install folders onto a CD or something.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #2332 on: May 02, 2012, 12:42:43 am »

Well, haven't really fleshed it out at all yet since I have just come up with the idea. I will have to let this one sit at the top of the pile of projects until I get done with my current one. My main job in it is to do some pathfinding stuff so it shouldn't take too long, though I'd like to keep myself open at least until the game reaches a semi-solid and playable state. I am thinking my audience will probably be Bay12 forumers and some other people on another forum I frequent. I am probably not going to have it as a web-based game as me and applets/flash do not get along. I would like to make it a non-installed standalone game, packaged sort of like how Kerbal Space Program is packaged.

Well crap; I didn't know about Gish at all. Thanks for the link Sirus, I will have to look into it so that I can figure out a way for me to do it different/better. I didn't do any research before spouting off my EDIT and presenting the super rough idea. I think it will be more for shits and giggles and not to actually sell, though. Thanks for the input and direction Stargrasper! :D
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: May 02, 2012, 12:45:08 am »

Well yeah, go ahead and make your idea. I'm sure the world can always use more blob simulators :D
Never let the phrase "it's been done" dissuade you.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #2334 on: May 02, 2012, 12:51:38 am »

I think the world needs more blob simulators :D It will be a fun thought experiment at the very least, and it will help me to be a better programmer overall. "It's been done" doesn't dissuade me in the least. I have remade Battleship and plan to remake it over and over again using better and better tech until I can't do much more without it getting too ridiculous :D

Also, about those programs:
They are really cool to play around with. I think that Daz3D can also import stuff from Sculptris which can be found at the following url: http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/ It is also free software :)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: May 02, 2012, 12:57:17 am »

Agh, no more programs! I'm already checking out vterrain and trying to decide which of the DAZ 3D programs I'll get (probably all of them, as they seem to do different things. Now I have another one, along with the game engines I was checking out earlier! :P

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: May 02, 2012, 01:03:12 am »

Well yeah, go ahead and make your idea. I'm sure the world can always use more blob simulators :D
Never let the phrase "it's been done" dissuade you.

While that shouldn't stop you, just keep in mind that it'll be hard to get noticed if you're repeating an idea.  Worse still, you're guaranteed to be compared to the previous renditions of the idea.  For instance, like it or not, these days if you include voxels, you'll automatically be considered a Minecraft ripoff no matter what your actual content is.

Agh, no more programs! I'm already checking out vterrain and trying to decide which of the DAZ 3D programs I'll get (probably all of them, as they seem to do different things. Now I have another one, along with the game engines I was checking out earlier! :P

I think the size of my bookmarks folder doubled in the past day or so. :P

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #2337 on: May 02, 2012, 01:10:39 am »

Just get all 3. Just in case you MIGHT need them for a future project >.> They don't require web-activation, just have a serial key that you should put into a txt file somewhere. When you first start up each program you have to activate it. It's a little more than 1.2GB altogether though, so you should maybe go to a library to download them if you have a bandwidth cap >.>

You sure you don't want more programs? Really? Get Unity3D? It's pretty fun to play around with also :) Blender, 3DSMax (because you can never have too many 3D Modeling programs), Foxit Reader to replace the horrible abomination that is Adobe PDF Reader *shudders*

@Stargrasper: It's more of a proof of ability saying "I can do this and this and this," like with my active project where I am making a highly modified A* pathfinder for a few different purposes. I am pretty decent at doing AI stuff so this would be a work on player controlled character(s) and graphics. Re: bookmarks - I think my bookmarks folder is trying to do some exponential growth every week or so heh, I have to go through and read everything and cull out the no longer relevant BMs one of these days :(

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: May 02, 2012, 01:16:21 am »

I don't have a bandwidth cap, I have a speed problem. If I start the first one right now, I MIGHT be able to finish before I go to school in about 7 hours.

Hmm...perhaps I can use the main household computer to run the downloads instead. It'd be much faster than this laptop >.>

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #2339 on: May 02, 2012, 01:19:27 am »

I have a speed problem

there are places that help with that. like libraries :D I downloaded from library onto my laptop all 3 programs + peripheral assets in about an hour ^_^ huzzah for 400-600kB/s download speeds!
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 796