Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 881821 times)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #2295 on: April 24, 2012, 10:01:22 am »

Eclipse has a module thing for C++, if you're using if for Java because you like it.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2296 on: April 24, 2012, 02:10:47 pm »

Are there Java compilers other than Ellipse for Windows that are good?

Personally I don't like Ellipse... for some reason, it doesn't like my code <.< even though its textbook code.
Not to mention that the interface is too cluttered for a novice like me. I also take issue in its font xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: April 24, 2012, 02:38:40 pm »

IntelliJ is pretty good, some people like netbeans.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2298 on: April 24, 2012, 02:40:47 pm »

Are there Java compilers other than Ellipse for Windows that are good?

The compiler is javac either from the sun JDK or an alternative. But as for IDEs, aside from Eclipse Netbeans is the best I've seen.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: April 24, 2012, 02:44:19 pm »

I currently use NetBeans for PHP, it's pretty nice. If you work in a big corporate environment, IntelliJ might be the better choice. It's got zillions of stuff to make your life better.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: April 24, 2012, 03:55:39 pm »

For Java, Eclipse, Netbeans, and IntelliJ are the best.  Eclipse and Netbeans are pretty comparable these days.  I'm using Eclipse mostly out of familiarity...though I'm using Netbeans on a project now.  The Netbeans GUI builder seems a lot more restrictive than the Eclipse one.  I've never actually used IntelliJ, but it's supposed to be really good.

For C++, I've used Geany, but I was unhappy about something about it.  Been long enough that I don't quite remember.  The Eclipse CDT plugin is...terrible...  The Netbeans C++ plugin isn't exactly great, but it's better than the Eclipse one.  I just plain don't like Code::Blocks.  I've tried some others, but didn't like them for various reasons.

And yeah, all of those are development environments.  The Java compiler is javac.  I've directly called it writing makefiles for Java programs.  It's so much fun when I have to write Java in vi because the fastest way to the server is ssh.  Or when you need to force Java and C/C++ to play together.  Also, has anyone else had problems with the OpenJDK?  It seems so bad compared to the Sun JDK.  As in, a number of programs will only run correctly with the Sun JDK/JRE.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2301 on: April 24, 2012, 03:56:45 pm »

I use the IDE Code::blocks for C++. I like it.

Also, I've been confusing IDEs and compilers till now.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: April 24, 2012, 06:42:26 pm »

I've directly called it writing makefiles for Java programs.

As have I. I coded Java for years with nothing more than vi (or notepad, depending on OS), a shell, and javac.

On a related note: anyone have any experience with Apache Ant? I've heard it described as an alternative to make. I believe it's used 'under the hood' by Eclipse?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2303 on: April 24, 2012, 07:34:59 pm »

Oracle can bite my shiny metal ass. How dare you allow a query to be valid or invalid depending on the driver used to access a god damn database. Shit works fine in oracle sql developer, dies in a fire through odbc through java or .net. Even running it on the database itself in a stored procedure? Surely that would work regardless of what driver calls the procedure? NOPE!

bastards.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: April 24, 2012, 08:30:33 pm »

As have I. I coded Java for years with nothing more than vi (or notepad, depending on OS), a shell, and javac.

On a related note: anyone have any experience with Apache Ant? I've heard it described as an alternative to make. I believe it's used 'under the hood' by Eclipse?

I don't particularly know how to use it directly, but ant is essentially make for Java.  IDEs use it as an easy way of figuring out how to automatically compile your often rather complex code.

Oracle can bite my shiny metal ass. How dare you allow a query to be valid or invalid depending on the driver used to access a god damn database. Shit works fine in oracle sql developer, dies in a fire through odbc through java or .net. Even running it on the database itself in a stored procedure? Surely that would work regardless of what driver calls the procedure? NOPE!

bastards.

And this is why I hardly ever use ODBC.  JDBC works about a thousand times better in Java.  I have relatively little experience with .NET, but there has to be something better than ODBC.  I don't know why, but it's just a poor database connector.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2305 on: April 25, 2012, 02:49:27 am »

For C++, I've used Geany, but I was unhappy about something about it.  Been long enough that I don't quite remember.  The Eclipse CDT plugin is...terrible...

Really? I quite like Eclipse CDT. So far it's the only IDE I've found that's autocomplete understands a good chunk of C++11 such as variadic templates.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: April 25, 2012, 05:06:35 am »

I don't particularly know how to use it directly, but ant is essentially make for Java.  IDEs use it as an easy way of figuring out how to automatically compile your often rather complex code.
There are other alternatives as well. There's Maven, for instance, that works pretty well.

I've been using C::B for C++ for a while now, but it's lacking simple features I've seen in other compilers for other languages (ctrl+click on a name brings you to the definition/declaration of that item for instance).

Problem with switching IDE's is taking the time to get to know them. Especially C++ IDE's, where I expect them to act as a "make" and just magically get all the libraries from everywhere. Setting that up in different ways every single time is so time-consuming if you don't know where every single checkbox/field/setting is :(

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2307 on: April 25, 2012, 07:41:31 am »

I prefer ant to maven. There is a lot less magic, a lot more explicit configurability.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: April 28, 2012, 07:14:51 am »

I have just recently gotten back to coding (never was very good at it) and started making some sort of crude roguelike with C++ and curses.

Now I have however hit a wall with vline/hline functions combined with inch-function, and I was wondering if someone here could help. I am using inch to check whether player can move or if there is a wall on the way. The walls are rows of '#'-symbols made with vline and hline functions and oddly some of them can't be moved trough (like it should be) and some of them can.  :-\

Here is a simplified example of the parts of code that cause the problems (note that all variables are defined):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here is a screenshot demonstrating the problem:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wonder if someone has and idea how to fix it...

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: April 28, 2012, 07:25:37 am »

Apparently in curses mvinch takes the co-ordinates as y and x, not x and y.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 796