Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 882030 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #1950 on: March 12, 2012, 10:44:33 am »

I think it's pretty okay, as far as car-analogies go :)

Question Time:
Splitting my code into "actual stuff" and "visual stuff" (No, not MVC) threads, I've thought of a kind of paging system, where for instance if a new object is added to the world, the visual thread needs to be notified. Also, if input is detected, the world needs to be notified. So each of those separate threads can send notifications to each of the others, which will periodically check for notifications and "do" them. Does anyone have experience/tutorials/examples of this? I'm doing it from scratch, and reinventing the wheel is my middle name, but it'd be nice to not bump my head into obvious stuff, or get advanced tips on how to make this resilient and fast. (C++ btw)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: March 12, 2012, 11:19:52 am »

Reinventing the wheel is probably your best bet if you want to know how your program works. It's not that big of a wheel. Also, event loops.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1952 on: March 12, 2012, 11:32:50 am »

Reinventing the wheel is probably your best bet if you want to know how your program works. It's not that big of a wheel. Also, event loops.

Your simplest option is probably to use a thread safe queue for message passing.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1953 on: March 12, 2012, 12:14:27 pm »

Your simplest option is probably to use a thread safe queue for message passing.

This. Look into concurrent queues. The latest versions of C# and Java provide them off the bat, and for C++ you have Intel Threading Building Blocks and Boost.Lockfree. It's best not to roll your own because trying to write them is very much "abandon hope all yee who enter here" territory xD
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:23:12 pm by MorleyDev »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: March 12, 2012, 12:53:15 pm »

I had started writing my own  :D. I'm not sure whether to go with TBB or the Boost threads (which are almost identical to the standard ones, once it's written for the windows stl), but will probably stay with the latter.

Lock-free eh? See, that's what I mean, didn't even know something like that existed. Thanks!

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: March 12, 2012, 08:42:06 pm »

I can no longer respect a language that doesn't have functions/methods as first-class objects.

What about a language that doesn't have variables?
Wait, wut? How the hell does that even work?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: March 13, 2012, 12:54:15 am »

I can no longer respect a language that doesn't have functions/methods as first-class objects.
I think he's referring to lisp, which does have variables, but they usually aren't changed after creation.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: March 13, 2012, 12:57:43 am »

I think he's referring to lisp, which does have variables, but they usually aren't changed after creation.

In haskell variables aren't changed after creation.
They don't vary, and are in fact, constant.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: March 13, 2012, 01:45:13 am »

So...they have variables that aren't variable? What the hell, guys. What the hell.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1959 on: March 13, 2012, 03:00:11 am »

It's because they aren't really "variables". They are mathematical statements.

In maths usually everything is constant, which is where := for assignment comes from. It's a way to differentiate the mathematical statement that x = 5y + 10 from the assignment that x := x * 5. As a mathematical statement x = x * 5 would mean x = 0.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:04:16 am by MorleyDev »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1960 on: March 13, 2012, 07:33:41 am »

The reason that functional languages like lisp and haskal don't have variables (though they kinda do) is that variables create state and one of the key concepts of functional programming is that it is stateless.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: March 13, 2012, 07:33:58 am »

Common Lisp lets you change variables at will. Clojure and many Scheme variants don't though. What this means in practice is that you can introduce a variable, but once introduced, you cannot change it's value.
In clojure you often don't even bother with introducing variables besides the input variables of the used functions and just pipe the results through a series of calls or use recursion.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: March 13, 2012, 10:51:59 am »

Since you guys rock at giving advice and google isn't helping again... ;)

Okay, halfway through my interprocess API I realise I have no idea what the best way is to convey information from thread to thread.
I have:
- Asynchronous messaging system sending "Action" objects, which will be processed by another thread. (lockfree yay)
- Using shared pointers I can send pointers around, and even use an Action to hold a return value if needed. (threadsafe yay)
I need/want:
- Some way of an "Action" message object to hold an actual parametrised action. How will the receiver know what to do?
- Speed, string parsing is out of the question
- Flexibility, should be easy to add new types of actions

Ideas so far:
- Send pre-filled function pointers (very dependent on the receiver's function structure), very flexible though
- Enum the actions and have a switch decide (less flexible, and have to pre-define parameters somehow)
- ? ? ?

Types of actions that will be sent:
- Add Object* X to the screen cache;
- Remove Object* X from the screen cache;
- Put Object* X in the Dynamic List;
- Move Object* X, 0.5 units to it's local west-direction.
- Place a new Object, location: (x,y,z), Object_Design: Ball, Object_Material:Rock_5

Any good ideas (even though reinventing the wheel is good for me :) ), or reasons why I shouldn't build an API using function pointers, if that's even possible?
Code: [Select]
shared_ptr<Action> a(new Action(GraphicsManager::addObject(), controller->getGraphics(), newObject*));
controller->getGraphics()->pushAction(a);

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: March 13, 2012, 11:07:16 am »

In Thread 1:
Action * a = new SpecificAction(parameter1, parameter2);   // Parameters are specified in the sending thread
send(a);                                                   // Amount and type of parameters can be specified individually per subclass of Action

In Thread 2:
Action * a = receive();
a->Execute(context);                        // Context is supplied in the receiving thread.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: March 13, 2012, 11:28:32 am »

That's where I am now, but what's the best way to specify my "parameters"?
Enums? Function pointers? Something I haven't thought of yet?

Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 796