Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 884631 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #1320 on: February 06, 2012, 09:47:13 pm »

Examine these guidelines.

It's amazing how many of these notes I actively employ, just so I can remember what my own code does.  Speaking of which Max, you might want to take a look at your example game.  Somewhere around the Player methods.

Anyway, I guess I'll just keep using libtcod for now, but I'd like to get into XNA before too long.  I really hope there's a way to use it that doesn't involve installing craploads of Microsoft VS developer junk.  And some tutorials that are not as fucking opaque as the Introduction to XNA.NET on the website.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: February 06, 2012, 09:51:52 pm »

I really hope there's a way to use it that doesn't involve installing craploads of Microsoft VS developer junk.
Nope. It is sort of like you know how when you make a new project, and you can make a console app or a winform app? Well this adds a third option to make an XNA app, so it is pretty serious, and insists that you download and install crap.

And some tutorials that are not as fucking opaque as the Introduction to XNA.NET on the website.
Not really, although some are decent. But hey, I'm here, and have already fucked around with it enough to figure it out. Also, there are a few textbooks on how to use it, so you could get hold of one of them. XNA game development by example was useful for starting off.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #1322 on: February 06, 2012, 09:56:56 pm »

I have a paranoid obsession with making every bit of my code as portable as humanly possible, which is probably the reason I've stayed a healthy distance away from XNA until now. And C#, for that matter.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: February 06, 2012, 09:58:36 pm »

Well, you can port over to Xbox with no worried, if that counts.
And zune, but I mean, who even owns a zune when android is a thing?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: February 06, 2012, 10:03:47 pm »

So, now that the sad thread, Max White knows why I'm having trouble with my code. I can't fistfight with it or coax it into sleeping with me. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: February 06, 2012, 11:03:35 pm »

I have a paranoid obsession with making every bit of my code as portable as humanly possible, which is probably the reason I've stayed a healthy distance away from XNA until now. And C#, for that matter.

Which is one of the bigger reasons I like Java.  Any JVM can run your code.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: February 06, 2012, 11:31:43 pm »

And Ruby! Any JVM can run that too.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: February 06, 2012, 11:39:53 pm »

Which is one of the bigger reasons I like Java.  Any JVM can run your code.

Yeah, any JVM. Disregard that most Linux distributions require a huge number of third-party packages to beat Java into working order, and even then are not guaranteed to work.

Also I read today in my programming textbook what amounted to essentially Stargrasper's lesson on WTF JAVA with Strings, with the only difference being that the author was praising Java for its brilliant design. Java is officially a cult. Lolwut.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: February 06, 2012, 11:45:11 pm »

Benefit of Ruby is that if you avoid the Java libraries, it can ALSO run on the C++ ruby executable. ;)

I wonder how interchangeable the Java and C++ libtcod libraries are, interface wise, and if that sort of swapping would be possible (assuming Java even has it, I don't know)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: February 06, 2012, 11:48:02 pm »

Pretty much all higher level programming languages are some what of a cult. High level programming languages and psychology paradigms. Seriously, I'm sitting here mucking around in python, and every second line I think to myself WHY DID THEY CHOOSE TO DO IT THIS WAY?!?!? Yet people will defend it to the death.

C# isn't that way though, it is clearly the master language, despite being as portable as yo momma after an all you can eat greasy BBQ night, and insist that it is an object, or it doesn't want to know about it.

Xegeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: February 07, 2012, 01:47:19 am »

For anyone who understands Libtcod (especially C#):

If I want a switch statement to interpret a TCOD keypress, am I restricted to char's?  Because it can either return a Character (useless for the numpad) or a KeyCode (which only includes non-character keys, and since it's an object, cannot be passed to a switch).

I'm getting the feeling I'll have to build an input interpreter for this thing.

The keycodes are actually enums so I believe you should be able to do something like this:

Code: [Select]
TCODKey input = TCODConsole.checkForKeypress((int)TCODKeyStatus.KeyPressed);

switch (input.KeyCode) {
case TCODKeyCode.Up:

break;
case TCODKeyCode.Left:

break;
case TCODKeyCode.Right:

break;
case TCODKeyCode.Down:

break;
case TCODKeyCode.Char:
switch (input.Character) {
case 'a':

break;
case 'b':

break;
}
break;
}

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: February 07, 2012, 05:07:00 am »

Portable, maintainable. My personal gripe is that it should be fast and efficient, and use the least amount of cpu/gpu cycles as possible.
How do you keep from knocking your brains out on the keyboard?
You don't. You knock your brains out, again and again until there's grey matter all over your numpad and jagged edges of skull protruding from your forehead. Java's even worse.

But, I'm not comfortable, in that I've learned even more so that there's no time to really sit and be complacent.  One of the bad things about being a programmer: the field evolves pretty quickly.
I never really noticed that. I mean, there's new languages coming out every day, and new functionality is "invented" or usually reinvented, but programming kind of stays the same: mashing complicated stuff into tiny logical steps.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: February 07, 2012, 05:09:32 am »

...Also what Max said. And like an engineering project, sometimes you'll be stuck working with some seriously funky code and enigmatic documentation written by someone who obviously isn't as skilled as you are. :P
This includes you 2 months ago...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: February 07, 2012, 05:18:00 am »

Well I would like to think I am not as skilled now as I am two months from now. There will always be some new trick to discover...

Although I think the point had more to do with proper documentation than what 1337 ]-[4>< you can muster.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: February 07, 2012, 05:19:18 am »

...Also what Max said. And like an engineering project, sometimes you'll be stuck working with some seriously funky code and enigmatic documentation written by someone who obviously isn't as skilled as you are. :P
This includes you 2 months ago...
QFT. As the famous quote goes: "I just spent 15 minutes cursing at code thinking 'What the hell was this idiot doing', and then I found out it was my own code".

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 796