Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 884726 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #1290 on: February 06, 2012, 01:51:55 am »

What libraries are you trying to link against?  I can honestly say I've never had problems with Visual C++ and the linker.  It's been a long time, mind you, but don't you just add them to a list of libraries in the project configuration somewhere?  Or use a #pragma to include the library?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: February 06, 2012, 02:01:59 am »

whats the difference between visual c++ and regular c++? anything?
I've never used visual studio.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: February 06, 2012, 02:06:34 am »

Visual C++ is an IDE that includes Microsoft's C++ compiler and linker.  It's mostly standard C++ otherwise.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: February 06, 2012, 02:09:22 am »

I had heard it was an extended library, but never looked into / never asked what was different from it and the standard library.
and I thought visual studio was the IDE and visual c++ was what c++ was referred to when written in visual studio,
or am I wrong?  I don't know anything about visual studio/visual c++
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: February 06, 2012, 02:22:52 am »

You might be thinking of managed C++, which I think is a Microsoft only thing related to interfacing with .NET code.

Visual C++ is part of Visual Studio.  Visual Studio I guess could be considered the IDE, where Visual C++ is just some interface snap ins and a backend for the compiler and linker.  There are other Visual tool suites, like Visual C# and Visual Basic.

The C++ written in Visual C++ is pretty much regular C++.  The only difference would be that Microsoft may not have implemented some of the newest standards, or may have implemented them in a vendor specific way.  This is very rarely a issue, at least not in any case I've ever seen.

The syntax is regular old C++.  The libraries available are Microsoft specific in addition to the C / C++ standard library, of course, but otherwise it's just C++ with an IDE on top of it.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: February 06, 2012, 02:30:03 am »

thank you *said in a sing-song tone*

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: February 06, 2012, 03:22:50 pm »

On the subject of Visual C++...I installed Visual Studio 11 Dev Preview solely because I could.  How the crap do I get VC++ to link libraries correctly?  For the life of me, I could not find the right linker operation...which is stupid considering how easy it is from the command line...  I historically do C++ development from Linux...I can handle a commandline so much better than an IDE, for the most part.
Assuming it works like VS10
1. Select project in the solution explorer window (usually on the left or right side of the screen).
2. In the menu bar up top: Project->Properties
3. In the menu system that pops up, Configuration Properties -> Linker -> Input
4. On this screen, click on the Additional Dependancies item and click the down arrow that appears to the right. Click "<Edit...>" from the down arrow menu. In the top half of the window that appears, type in the names of the libraries you will use ("xyz.lib", for example).
5. If your libraries aren't installed with Visual Studio, it likely can't find them.
6. On the same project property menu, go to Configuration Properties -> VC++ Directories
7. Click on the Include Directories, go into its menu, and add the directory path to the include directory for the library (has a browse for folder option)
8. Do the same for Library Directories, adding the library directory.
9. Click OK to save the property changes and close the properties window. Your project should now work.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: February 06, 2012, 05:34:46 pm »

For anyone who understands Libtcod (especially C#):

If I want a switch statement to interpret a TCOD keypress, am I restricted to char's?  Because it can either return a Character (useless for the numpad) or a KeyCode (which only includes non-character keys, and since it's an object, cannot be passed to a switch).

I'm getting the feeling I'll have to build an input interpreter for this thing.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #1298 on: February 06, 2012, 06:15:20 pm »

I'm telling you, just take the plunge and run SDL in the background. Right now I've got libtcod running over SDL, and I have a nice, clean switch statement for keypresses that recognizes unicode characters and keycodes (including character keys) separately or together. The function keys and keypad are no problem at all either. Libtcod's input detection just isn't worth it.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: February 06, 2012, 07:07:15 pm »

I'm telling you, just take the plunge and run SDL in the background. Right now I've got libtcod running over SDL, and I have a nice, clean switch statement for keypresses that recognizes unicode characters and keycodes (including character keys) separately or together. The function keys and keypad are no problem at all either. Libtcod's input detection just isn't worth it.
Are you using C#? I've had massive library conflicts when trying to do this in C#'s libtcod and SdlDotNet.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: February 06, 2012, 07:09:42 pm »

What about just using SDL on its own?  Is libtcod even necessary then?

I guess that would entail writing... something.  I'm looking at a SDL tutorial, and I'm not seeing where it would need any help, however inscrutable it may be.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: February 06, 2012, 07:12:06 pm »

SDL on its own? Well you can run into some issues, do things wrong and suddenly it is slow as fuck.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: February 06, 2012, 07:16:39 pm »

Sounds like the thread might need a SDL tutorial now.  Oh wait, SDL has tutorials.  Well, now I just have to find where the Hell that installer put the SDL files so I can include them in the project.  Which may not necessary, since they're installed to the computer themselves, but I assume having them with the project would be important if I wanted to send this program to another computer.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: February 06, 2012, 07:22:53 pm »

Well if you are sure about SDL, just remember your dealing with a panel now, not a console. Graphics just got real.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: February 06, 2012, 07:28:23 pm »

I advise against it. Nothing to crush a starting programmers spirit than a library that's hard. I wonder why I keep doing it myself, though.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 796