Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 886524 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #1050 on: January 30, 2012, 11:59:33 am »

And now I want to learn Ruby. You guys are going to make my head asplode, I swear.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: January 30, 2012, 12:00:54 pm »

And now I want to learn Ruby. You guys are going to make my head asplode, I swear.

Don't worry, compared to most languages its pretty easy to learn!  Hell chances are you could just bang your head on the keyboard and you'll get something with valid syntax.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: January 30, 2012, 02:16:31 pm »

Don't worry, compared to most languages its pretty easy to learn!  Hell chances are you could just bang your head on the keyboard and you'll get something with valid syntax.
Well, Perl certainly looks like that, but I doubt it'd work for Ruby :P

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1053 on: January 30, 2012, 02:45:44 pm »

perl is a write only programming language.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: January 30, 2012, 03:37:40 pm »

perl is a write only programming language.

I disagree, but maybe it has to do with the fact that I learned Perl as a mother tongue.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: January 30, 2012, 09:35:15 pm »

What is the best networking api for c++? And why?
I'm thinking raknet
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: January 30, 2012, 11:56:01 pm »

Hahaha, I cannot program at all.  However, I am trying.  I know a little Scheme and even less Python (and a miniscule amount of Java).  Someday, I'd like to make some games... I have some ideas I think would be pretty cool, but I don't know the first thing about how to start.

My least favorite thing is bug-hunting.  I say this as a person whose first major project of the semester is ~500 lines long, with a small part of it pre-written by the professor, so I can't figure out what in the hell is going on.  So, yeah, basically... I suck, but I hope to work every day and eventually get something going.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: January 31, 2012, 12:02:28 am »

Python.  With the requisite obscene numbers of carriage returns.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: January 31, 2012, 12:05:02 am »

I see... So you are defiantly doing OOP.
And is it split up into many classes, or alternatively many, many functions? If you don't understand the question please say so, it is a factor.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: January 31, 2012, 12:09:52 am »

I see... So you are defiantly doing OOP.
And is it split up into many classes, or alternatively many, many functions? If you don't understand the question please say so, it is a factor.

I don't know, but frankly, a huge amount of that is documentation.  I think it's mostly ... yeah, I checked.  It's all functions.  We haven't done anything object-oriented yet.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: January 31, 2012, 12:12:28 am »

Just to warn you: Vectors in programming as I understand them from my C++ class are entirely different from Vectors in math as I understand them from my lowly Applied Tech Math class.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: January 31, 2012, 12:16:14 am »

I don't know, but frankly, a huge amount of that is documentation.  I think it's mostly ... yeah, I checked.  It's all functions.  We haven't done anything object-oriented yet.
Ah, well that isn't so bad than. I was worried for a second, a 500 line project to start with is like expecting a student to do photosynthesis before they understand what molecules are, but I expect your program is half code, half essay.

Still, what does it do?

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: January 31, 2012, 12:28:59 am »

Care to share? We can probably help you chop it into manageable pieces, if your prof won't get mad about you seeking help outside your class.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: January 31, 2012, 12:34:37 am »

As for game programming, the language you will want to use will depend on the game in question. Text-based games can be done in any language, but graphics requires a language with some sort of useful graphical interface.

C# is a good language for 2D and simple 3D games, as both it and XNA have excellent documentation on msdn. It's Windows dependent though, which may or may not matter to you.

Depending on what sort of facilities the university has, you may or may not have access to Flash Builder and Flash Professional. Using Flash and its language Actionscript, you can create small games which can be uploaded to the web and played in a browser. It's relatively easy to get into, though it's not a compiled language, and so is a bit slower, preventing it from being as useful for games with a wide scope.

Then there is C++. It's the language used for almost every large title, as it is much more powerful then languages like C#. However, its power comes in large part from the same things which make it more difficult to use than other languages. C++ can do graphics programming through a number of graphics APIs, with DirectX and OpenGL being the most common.

There are numerous others, but those are some of the big names; again, it mostly depends on the scope of the game being created.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 796