Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 886528 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #1020 on: January 29, 2012, 12:19:25 am »

Question: Did you install Mint then Windows, or Windows then Mint?

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: January 29, 2012, 12:22:59 am »

Windows then Mint then Fedora then Mint again because something went wrong...about two years ago.  This probably isn't caused by the installations.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: January 29, 2012, 12:24:25 am »

On a note related to Max's most recent lesson post:
Another way of passing functions around is through the use of a functor.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: January 29, 2012, 12:27:54 am »

fixed the memory leaks in my program,  and i'm slowing down, maybe it's programmers fatigue
maybe i'm just getting bored with this project sine it's no longer "how am I going to do this / how will this work" and is now just bugfixes and making menus.  Or maybe it's because I can't figure out how to fix this bothersome bug.
But when I started I was doing 5-10 hours a day on this project, today I spent 1 maybe 2 hours on it.
I'll keep working on it, slowly but surely it will be finished....eventually, and will be the first entry in my portfolio for programming.
i've done 3d modeling, 3d mapping, 2d tileset making, 2d spriting, 2d mapping, music creation, 2d animation and game design.
I hate 3d animation.  (thank god for motion capture)
I'm pretty much done with SDL, once I finish this game I wont be touching it again any time soon.
going back to learning pure unadulterated c++, (have about 1000 pages left in my book)
and whenever I get bored / feel like having another foray into a library I'll pick up a networking library and make a multiplayer game.

And that sucks about your partitions,
if they are gone forever there are tools you can use to recover anything important that might have been on them.
don't remember the name of them off the top of my head, haven't had to use them in a while, I'm sure someone else here can fill you in on them.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: January 29, 2012, 01:32:47 am »

The Microsoft hate, at least from Linux users, comes from that fact that Microsoft plays very, very poorly with others.
Still more sociable than Apple.

It's up in the air...Apple will usually play with others if you prod it enough...Microsoft is known for overwriting others without asking and refusing to talk to others.

Perhaps scratch that whole "fix grub and half my problems go away" thing...the machine is so fucked that gparted says that the partitions that are supposed to contain Mint and Fedora are unallocated space...no wonder my partition table broke...um...I wonder just how fucked I am and whether or not those partitions still exist...and also what the hell caused this...

So...what causes partitions to cease to exist...?  And can I make them spontaneously exist again...?

Even if gparted doesn't say the partitions exist, you can still take a stab at it with grub-install. Use sda for your hard disk, and Mint will probably be sda2, if you installed Windows first. If you have free space on a hard drive (internal or external) equal to the size of the Mint partition, you can format that free space into ext4, and do this to try to recover data:

Code: [Select]
sudo dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdb1
That commands assumes you're copying it to the first partition on the first external hard drive connected. Replace sdb1 with sdaX if you're using a partition on an internal hard drive, where X is the partition number.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1025 on: January 29, 2012, 01:51:06 am »

At least Microsoft will let you play around freely with their hardware.

Apple are more "No, you can't play with us! No! Oh fine, if you insist, but only if this large burly man in a dark suit and glasses can watch, spit on you every five minutes and take you into a dark room and violate you in every imaginable way whenever we decide it would amuse us".

In contrast Microsoft will just put a small man in a priest frock in the room who sits in the corner and just stares at you, never saying anything, never moving, never even blinking, barely breathing. One day, you know he will rise out of his chair and when that day comes your world will either explode in fire and pain or cookies, but for now he is just there, sitting and staring.

Linux just runs around offering to take its clothes off to everyone it meets, but does so in a strange alien language so that you don't realise what the offer was until it is too late and Linux has already ran up to the next person.

Nope, I don't understand these metaphors either xD
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 01:53:50 am by MorleyDev »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: January 29, 2012, 01:58:48 am »

It is like Apple is getting your standard Apple brand sandwich with Apple brand toppings cut to approved Apple brand size pieces, but you aren't allowed to put anything else on, so if they don't have turkey, or you can find a provider who can give you free turkey, you are not allowed to have it. It is Apple brand turkey cut to specific size to fit Apple brand bread or NOTHING!!!

Microsoft is like walking into a deli, picking some bread and some toppings you want, some of the meat isn't so great, but it is ok because you can go to the butcher down the road and pick up some of the specials there!

Linux is like buying a farm/ranch.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: January 29, 2012, 02:00:07 am »

How does the numbering system work inside of logical partitions?  Part of the problem is that my setup is so complex...to fit three OSs and assorted extra data, I squeezed 8 partitions onto a 500GB disk.  If I'm guessing right, and the numbers are supposed to go down the list...then I want either sda5 or sda7...I'll probably try sda5 once I finish grabbing data...  Since gparted thinks what I think should sda5 is unallocated, it skips it and numbers what I think should be sda6 as sda5...  I'm still grabbing less important (and thus not backed up) data off of sda5/6/whatever-they-want-to-call-my-data-partition.  Yes I know my setup is stupid.  I was a naive idiot way back when I designed it.

And unfortunately I don't have a large enough spare disk available to copy the partition.

Also, under gparteds device list, I apparently have devices /dev/sda100 through /dev/sda255...all of them 209.49GB with a single ntfs partition.  As near as I can tell, it's freaking out and reading sda5 is it's own partition (as it should) and 155 additional devices...I'm afraid to mess with that effect...

And I love your analogy, Max.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: January 29, 2012, 06:01:11 am »

I've currently spent upwards of 10 hours getting the new mint Win7 installation of my GF to work correctly, and she refuses to work with Linux because "she's used to windows".
That's why: Fuck MS. Although they did do some things right, they did a lot of other things Very Wrong. Which wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't forced to work with them.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1029 on: January 29, 2012, 06:10:18 am »

I've currently spent upwards of 10 hours getting the new mint Win7 installation of my GF to work correctly

Required joke: Your girlfriend is Windows 7? xD

My 'hilarity' aside, hmm, odd Window installation for me is always was "leave installing and do other shit". The main time is spent tracking down and installing the various programs I want...Linux does have it's package thingie, but I'm apathetic towards that (neither thrilled nor annoyed).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 06:12:56 am by MorleyDev »

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1030 on: January 29, 2012, 11:56:14 am »

I now have a program that can create, load, and save SetPieces for my game!  It also remembers which files you've loaded recently and plays well with being on a flash drive.  On top of that, it's my first major project in something that isn't XNA (Windows Forms in this case).  This is the first tool program I've ever made, and it's far superior to manually putting points in an XML document.  Of course, now I need to move on to other objects that can actually do things (move, animate, etc.), but it still feels cool to have something like this semi feature complete.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: January 29, 2012, 12:40:55 pm »

I now have a program that can create, load, and save SetPieces for my game!  It also remembers which files you've loaded recently and plays well with being on a flash drive.  On top of that, it's my first major project in something that isn't XNA (Windows Forms in this case).  This is the first tool program I've ever made, and it's far superior to manually putting points in an XML document.  Of course, now I need to move on to other objects that can actually do things (move, animate, etc.), but it still feels cool to have something like this semi feature complete.

What's your game about?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1032 on: January 29, 2012, 09:12:11 pm »

I may have nuked my web app's database...

I was working with the membership provider, trying to get password reset to work. Now I have shit broken that should not be... for instance everything anonymous users can do.

Note to self: if you are debugging, and your stuff crashes, our you exit the debugger before closing the database session... Log into to the administration and kill some connections, because there is a limit and you will have no idea why everything returns null if you don't.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:32:32 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: January 29, 2012, 11:49:20 pm »

Fun Fact 1: You cannot install or repair Windows from the install disk if you don't have a partition table.
Fun Fact 2: The only OS I have on a USB key won't let you open a terminal.  It's defective.
Fun Fact 3: GParted forces you to whip the entire disk to create a partition table.
Fun Fact 4: Windows 7 takes approximately fifteen minutes to install.

And so there is finally some OS on my computer that will function.  I'll re-install Linux later this week...  I am now sans ~500GB of data.  Nearly all of which was either backed up or irrelevant.  First, get all the applications I need for academic purposes.  I'll worry about everything else later.  Tutorials to come whenever I find time.

So here's how things played out.  Windows 7 crashed.  Okay, fine.  That happens often enough.  Quick reboot and...Win7 crashes on boot consistently...um...crap.  Okay, boot into LMDE to do my homework.  Then somewhere along the line, LMDE crashes.  That's...rare.  Then it won't boot up twice.  I'm starting to get worried, but third try, it boots up.  I begin exploring why the crap Win7 won't boot and find nothing of note.  Then LMDE crashes again.  This time, I can't get it to boot.  So I try the LMDE Recovery and...it crashes during boot.  So I try the Win7 Recovery partition and...it crashes during bootup.  Okay, I seriously need to fix Windows at this point for academic reasons, namely, a lot of academic software doesn't run in WINE.  Put in my Win7 disk and...WTF!?  The machine is crashing during bootup of a disk!?  Okay, okay...I can still handle this...as of this point, I hadn't tried booting into Fedora.  I can save the machine from there!  Pull the disk and boot into the machine and...grub rescue mode comes up...apparently the Win7 disk crashing killed something.  At this point, I'm assuming it somehow fried the partition table and begin looking for ways to deal with that.  In desperation, I remember that I usually install OSs from usb key and just try every one of my keys hoping that one of them still contains a live OS.  Thankfully, I find a Mint OS that's about 350 critical updates behind, but happens to work!  Kind of.  It's replicating one of the partitions as 155 different devices.  And it's refusing to recognize external media most of the time.  With enough finagling, I can make it recognize a disk or other usb devices, but only if I don't have more than about two devices plugged in at a time.  I want to re-install grub in the hope that it can fix things.  Pull up gparted so I can see what the name of the partition that LMDE is on is.  The partitions that are supposed to contains LMDE and Fedora are both listed as Unallocated...wtf, shit, and #$*@^!!!!  How the crap do partitions experience Critical Existence Failure!?  At this point, I'm a combination of indescribably furious, rather intrigued by just how it's failing, and desperation trying to save my computer.  Okay, okay, I'm not f*ed yet.  Open up a terminal and run some deep magic and I should be able to save everything.  ...what do you mean you can't open a terminal window?  Fine.  I can do some finagling to make this work...except that the entire system is actively antagonizing me now.  I eventually resolve that I can't rescue the system and realize I was planning to re-install Win7 anyway.  Linux, on the other hand...I just kind of hoped that I didn't have any important data that wasn't backed up on that partition...most of the important data was on the really big Data partition.  I give up on that and go on an epic crusade to get another legal copy of Win7 from my university.  The download manager they force you to use only runs on Windows...  Borrow roommate's computer for awhile...repurpose an old disk to burn the image.  Realize that it's still crashing during disk boot.  So I go back into that Mint usb and use it to transfer the Win7 data to another usb.  Boot off of that.  Still crashing.  Go back into Mint and tell gparted to create a new partition table, frying any data I had left.  Format the disk as NTFS and hope that the Win7 installer can figure it out.  Pull up the Win7 installer from the usb I made and it works perfectly!  Before it was trying for half an hour then crashing or telling me it won't work.  Now it's up and running in seconds!  I realize that this probably means that the Win7 installer will just refuse to function if there isn't a partition table.  Install Win7.  Realize that the internet is running at about 5kb/s.  I then assume that it's because the generic Microsoft wlan driver that comes with Win7 retail is crap.  But I can't get online with enough speed to download the manufacturer drivers anytime this year...  I load up that old Mint usb again and download the drivers I need from there, which works fantastically well.  Install them in Win7, reboot twice, and things are looking good.  Internet is working.  Got anti-virus.  Got a decent browser.  Re-installed Java.  Started the arduous process of re-installing academic software that I need...this will take awhile...and at some point I need to rebuild my dual Win7-Linux setup.  I'll worry about Linux later...  I still really want to know caused all of this, but making the thing work so I could do school-work was more important.

And that, right there, is the story of my weekend.  I love my university for subscribing to MSDN.  It's the reason I can legally download Win7 for free.  I've never seen a computer crash and burn like this.  And this ordeal handled a severe problem for me; I no longer have to clear out space on my disk.  Now...

Perl...dang homework...who's good at Perl?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: January 30, 2012, 12:13:14 am »

Define 'good'.
What level of skill do you require?
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 796