Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 887621 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #705 on: January 19, 2012, 06:22:12 pm »

Doing it yourself now?  :P

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #706 on: January 19, 2012, 06:37:01 pm »

My attempt to get some home coding done this week met extremely limited success, with preparations to code completed, but no code written.

Tuesday I got eclipse set up, my subversion repository working and the two linked after much consternation and got the JAVA opengl libraries set up and ready to play with. Wednesday I didn't do anything for other reasons, though I discovered that the local book store no longer carries references for opengl, and today I am sick. Meh, may have to look into java color console libraries to mimic curses if I can't get figure out opengl.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 19, 2012, 07:02:38 pm »

I am going to learn SDL. This I have decided. It's time for me to learn how to do more than make console applications.

I also need to learn the X11 API.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 19, 2012, 07:10:33 pm »

What language am I? Perl, of course.

As for what language I program in, C++, for what I have in mind.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 19, 2012, 07:12:43 pm »

You can take the middle ground and get Visual Studio Express for c++, it will allow you to try out winforms, a bit of a step up from consoles.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 19, 2012, 07:21:57 pm »

I am going to learn SDL. This I have decided. It's time for me to learn how to do more than make console applications.
I found these invaluable for learning SDL.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 19, 2012, 07:47:55 pm »

@Max: I use Linux, so I'll be using the X11 IDE. I may play around with QT, also.

@kaijyuu: Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 19, 2012, 08:22:31 pm »

JAVA class looks like it's going to be fun, as opposed to ‼FUN‼

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 20, 2012, 01:16:15 am »

I prefer  http://sites.google.com/site/sdlgamer/beginner/lesson-1   for sdl tutorials, lazyfoo throws too much at you too fast and doesn't explain enough of it,  but even the site I linked is lacking on clarification, I had to often consult sdl documentation to get answers, and for definate descriptions of bits of code.   I plan on writing a series of sdl tutorials after I finish writing c++ tuts

Although I did end up using a combination of both sites, they both have good points on different things, but both are severely lacking

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:00:24 am by Valid_Dark »
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 20, 2012, 07:25:47 am »

Why do I like programming again? Either you're doing dumb gettingsetting/treetraversal/updateschemes/administration, and when you get to the awesome parts, they're so fucking complicated I tend to brood on them for days (nay, weeks) and then decide my previous code need rewriting, or I need a different library, or render engine, or everything has become so convoluted it needs a rebuild from scratch...

I have NOTHING on my screen, and I've been working on this project for YEARS.  :-\
I am the most unproductive man alive. Where did it go wrong?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 20, 2012, 10:45:13 am »

Why do I like programming again? Either you're doing dumb gettingsetting/treetraversal/updateschemes/administration, and when you get to the awesome parts, they're so fucking complicated I tend to brood on them for days (nay, weeks) and then decide my previous code need rewriting, or I need a different library, or render engine, or everything has become so convoluted it needs a rebuild from scratch...

I have NOTHING on my screen, and I've been working on this project for YEARS.  :-\

I am somewhat in the same boat. My personal projects never get anywhere.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 20, 2012, 11:03:57 am »

Even worse, it's the same project. Moved from glut to pure opengl to SDL to SFML and now to Ogre3D, and I'm almost done with the paged-world-LOD-rendering part. It's supposed to be able to render very complex and humongous worlds, but how do I generate one?!

It needs to be 3d (so no heightmap, heightmapped terrain is fucking lame), and have "insides", so that if I dig down, I see layers of different soil types (that need to be generated) with different textures (that need to be generated although I already made a granite-like-generator using a simple noise). The parts are there, but I've not been able to bring it all together...
And actually simulating a planet from birth till now is... 5 more years of work (I code 1-2 evenings a week, when I'm on a roll, and then leave it alone for weeks some times).

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 20, 2012, 11:13:15 am »

Even Toady uses a height map for his complex 3d terrain with volume and internal structure.

Perlin noise is a 3d structure and might be a good starting point.

As for geologic simulation? That is a huge, massive undertaking. I've bumped into similar problems trying to evolve stars from from a starting mass, density and metalicity through their natural life cycle.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 20, 2012, 11:24:03 am »

I am somewhat in the same boat. My personal projects never get anywhere.

Ditto.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 796