Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 887515 times)

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #690 on: January 19, 2012, 12:40:26 am »

my df game froze up and force closed today, and it upset me so much I decided i'm not going to play again until the new release,
so instead of spending hours each day playing Dwarf Fortress I'm going to start working on my C++ teaching course.  I've been meaning to get around to it, it'll help me brush up on my skills, as well as provide a much needed service. Once I get my course together I'll probably make a website, and in 2 weeks i'm moving to California and if i'm up to it i'll try offering personal tutoring/classes. 
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 19, 2012, 12:42:45 am »

Cool brother, welcome to the cult!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: January 19, 2012, 01:28:22 am »

Anybody know a good guide for the Java naming conventions? Don't want to go getting my languages mixed here.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 19, 2012, 02:12:32 am »

Anybody know a good guide for the Java naming conventions? Don't want to go getting my languages mixed here.

What do you want to know?  I'm still a bit busy what with having just relocated, but I should be able to watch this, if not write another lesson...

So no, I don't know any guides off hand, but I happen to know the naming conventions quite well.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #694 on: January 19, 2012, 02:16:05 am »

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/codeconv-138413.html

Edit: if you are using an IDE like eclipse you can use a code-style formatter/validator to keep you on convention. http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/topic/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.user/reference/preferences/java/ref-preferences-code-style.htm
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:22:29 am by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 19, 2012, 02:49:26 am »

Thanks guys!
Also, Stargrasper, or anybody, does java have 2d arrays that arn't jagged tooth arrays? All i want is a nice clean rectangular array, and while the logic is near identical and I can manage with Blah[][], it just doesn't feel as safe.
So is there a Java equivalent of Blah[,]?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 19, 2012, 08:23:10 am »

You might have to implement it itself if you want it. It seems like a pretty straightforward overlay of the basic array class, at least.

AKA

I don't remember one. But then it's been a while since I used Java.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:24:50 am by GlyphGryph »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #697 on: January 19, 2012, 09:39:25 am »

Sorry, in java Arrays are always going to be jagged. Technically it is an array of Array objects.

The closest you can get is to initialize an array with an array literal, that way you don't have to loop through and set the length for each sub array.

int[][] foo = {{1, 2, 3}, {4, 5, 6}, {7,8,9}};
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 19, 2012, 10:21:01 am »

People of this forum, I have a problem. As you might know by now, I have quite insane amounts of programming knowledge, both broad and deep.
BUT, there seems to be absolutely nothing I do with it. School doesn't count, as the stuff I have to do there poses absolutely no challenge at all, except for finding any kind of documentation to the weird server software we're currently taking apart.
So I challenge you to challenge me. Give me any game concept (awesome is and I'll try to implement it in C++ to the best of my motivation. The game should probably focus on gameplay, not graphics, because I tend to rate games based on gameplay (see DF), and I won't learn how to use OpenGL because I rather want to focus on knowledge application. I can handle SDL and SFML, so 2d graphics won't be a problem.

Ever had a totally awesome game idea and wished there was a game based on this idea? I am your fucking wish.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 19, 2012, 10:31:10 am »

Build an arena game where you try to build the monster with the best emergent properties, and fight against other monsters that have been uploaded online.

Procedural Content, Content Sharing, and Combat. That should be a decent test of your abilities, I would think.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: January 19, 2012, 10:49:25 am »

Hmmm... Doesn't convince me as interesting. Sounds like Pokémon without the storyline.
Or is there some aspect that I may have missed?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: January 19, 2012, 10:58:51 am »

You create the monsters, and their capabilities are emergent, procedural, rather than set in stone. There's no leveling up or RPG elements (unless you think that would add something).

It's far closer to something like Gratuitous Space Battles than Pokemon - you try to arrange your resources in a way that will overcome the opponent, except your resources here are the limitations placed on "building" your monster.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 19, 2012, 11:05:30 am »

Something like the Creature Stage in Spore?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 19, 2012, 11:07:37 am »

Don't know, never played it. So really, just think of it as an organic version of Gratuitous space battles. Preferably with some somewhat unique emergent strategies as a real possibility.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 19, 2012, 12:37:01 pm »

I started working on the mind numbing task of making a C++ tutorial website.  Set up the basic website design and wrote chapters 0.0 and 0.1
It's going to take a long long time to get up and running or to make it look anything like a respectable website. But if I add a subchapter a day it won't be long before people could actually use it to learn how to program.
right now it's set up through webs.com a free internet hosting website, but once I get enough of it written I'll transfer it to a better host with it's own domain name, right now I'm just using it as a place to store my tutorials.
if anyone wants to give it a look the webaddress is http://easycpp.webs.com/

any comments, constructive or not would be much appreciated
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 05:47:54 pm by Valid_Dark »
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 796